Problems?

H said:
I'm sorry Jean, but this is advice you should be giving Steve, this isn't his first post along similar lines.

+1.

I hope Steve thinks bit harder on what he types as even if they aren't intended to look as worrying they have by the virtue of who's posting quite a strong potential for damaging the game. Unless that IS intended result then that's not serving ADB either.

Let's hope Matt and Steve can work out their differences(YET AGAIN!) man to man and maybe for the final time too preceded by Steve bringing issues to public(prolly more of carelessness than real malice).

There is nothing for me to write that won't continue a discussion that I think should end while the primary people discuss things.

I'd advise people to only dip their toes into the ADB forums if you want to follow a specific thread, like the painted ships one (which I read) etc.

They've built up a fair amount of drama over the decades, and it's best if we never get involved in it.

As long as we avoid anything licence related, we should completely side step any of it.

On the other hand I've dropped more than £250 on the mongoose stuff and I'm waiting on 4 more SFB modules (the last thing I got was Omega 4) for the purpose of going over it for ideas (including J2 for more fighter ideas), which I wouldn't have bought if mongoose hadn't come out with ACTA, because you can teach someone to play ACTA:SFU in ten minutes whereas no one wants to play SFB because it is so complicated.

When Steve is rolling around in a pile of money from this like Scrooge McDuck I'm sure the importance of any negative parts of getting to that point will seem significantly less important.

Well, my main concern is that it's starting to seem that Steve's making a habit of this.
I agree, let him sort out any issues in private, but he needs to at least be aware that if he's going to act like this in public in future, he can't really complain when he gets public critisism for it in return.

nekomata fuyu said:
Well, my main concern is that it's starting to seem that Steve's making a habit of this.
I agree, let him sort out any issues in private, but he needs to at least be aware that if he's going to act like this in public in future, he can't really complain when he gets public critisism for it in return.

You are correct on this, however I also think this should have stayed on his Web Board and should never have been ported over to this one. All it did was throw grease on the fire, so to speak.

I know a lot of people who like this game don't have anything to do with FC, it is a concern, and hence worth posting here.

H said:
I'm sorry Jean, but this is advice you should be giving Steve, this isn't his first post along similar lines. I have been involved in new business procedures, and haven't taken to modern media to make comments on it, and I suspect I have been in business for a shorter time period. yes it should be private, but it's not is it, Steve has seen fit to put it in the public domain. I'm sorry if you think I am fueling the fire, but I am a concerned customer, who is now pondering whether to bother buying the Gorn fleet i have been waiting for.

Agree totally. Not the first time this has happened either.

ADB will continue for ever with the exact same fanbase it has now, I actually wonder why Steve got into this agreement with Mongoose, as I think he is happy with the Existing models, and player base, and trying to expand it via mongoose with a streamlined ruleset and models with some detail, is just piffing him off.

I certainly hope that Steve is NOT happy with the existing 2400 models as, frankly, they are not up to par with what's being produced nowadays. While I really like the ACTA system, I can take it or leave it - there are many good starship systems out there. But the 2500 models are the key feature of this venture (IMO) and very much a step in the right direction if Starfleet is to be supported by a miniatures line. While there has been some bumps in the road, things are moving forward. Hopefully any friction between the two partners can be resolved so the line isn't lost.

Billiam said:
I certainly hope that Steve is NOT happy with the existing 2400 models as, frankly, they are not up to par with what's being produced nowadays.
I would have to agree. When they were first released around 20(?) or so years ago the Starline 2400 miniatures were a decent effort, but the last set I bought was really showing their age (in both quality of sculpting and casting).

Like Billiam, the brilliant new miniatures from Mongoose were a deciding factor in my getting into the new ACTASF and back into gaming the Star Fleet venue. Even if I decided for some reason to go back to SFB or the newer Federation Commander, I would want to do my gaming with the much superior Starline 2500 miniatures.

Yeah, given Mongoose learnt from their venture into resin (and have kept resin for just a few large ships where that large a weight of metal would be very expensive and very heavy, instead of doing what GW did and pretend everything is fine) and the teething troubles are out the way, the problem now simply seems to be building up the levels of stock to keep everyone happy.

It would be very interesting to see the sales figures for the 2500 line.

I also recall something Jervis Johnson said, that 80% of miniatures GW sell never get played with, they are simply for collectors and painters. It would be interesting to see if there are sales from people with no intention of playing (though I've no idea how you'd tell, unless you do a stand and demo table at a Star Trek convention).

From Steve Cole from the original source of contention.
Well, I'm going to focus on ADB products for the next few months. If that means ACTASF stuff slips in the schedule, so be it. Matthew says he'd rather I respond when I can than complain about him stopping me from doing my own products.
I can kind of see his point, whilst its disapointing as an outcome, I really can understand it. As long as this doesn't affect the Kzinti box and Gorn Box sets. The rules can wait in my humble opinion.

astronomypete said:
From Steve Cole from the original source of contention.
Well, I'm going to focus on ADB products for the next few months. If that means ACTASF stuff slips in the schedule, so be it. Matthew says he'd rather I respond when I can than complain about him stopping me from doing my own products.
I can kind of see his point, whilst its disapointing as an outcome, I really can understand it. As long as this doesn't affect the Kzinti box and Gorn Box sets. The rules can wait in my humble opinion.

but it again backs up the view that SC cares about the ADB guys but not for his new players, dissapointing, but such is life. I'm not ordering the Gorn now, I'll buy another fleet for Dystopian wars instead

I imagine the rules for the next supplement are in playtesting at the moment, and what's in it has already been decided, the releases for the next four months are all minis, most of which have already been approved.

but it again backs up the view that SC cares about the ADB guys but not for his new players,

whoa... there...

If I had created a business 30 years ago, and found that I had to focus on another persons business which was having a negative impact on my long established business, too right I'd focus on it. I'm sure he cares greatly otherwise he wouldnt have been putting in as much time as he has.

But he's only one person and you can't be split between two worlds, without both suffering. Give him time to come to terms with what needs to be caught up on in SFB, and he'll be able to put in the attention which ACTA:SF needs, as soon as he can.

H said:
but it again backs up the view that SC cares about the ADB guys but not for his new players, dissapointing, but such is life. I'm not ordering the Gorn now, I'll buy another fleet for Dystopian wars instead

+1.

Starting to look more and more like ACTASF doesn't have much of future.

So might just as well switch to NA myself. Already got couple fleet boxes, cheaper models, smaller scale which I prefer. Background is less exciting but no can do. I can always try to write my own.

astronomypete said:
but it again backs up the view that SC cares about the ADB guys but not for his new players,

whoa... there...

If I had created a business 30 years ago, and found that I had to focus on another persons business which was having a negative impact on my long established business, too right I'd focus on it. I'm sure he cares greatly otherwise he wouldnt have been putting in as much time as he has.

But he's only one person and you can't be split between two worlds, without both suffering. Give him time to come to terms with what needs to be caught up on in SFB, and he'll be able to put in the attention which ACTA:SF needs, as soon as he can.

actually a business that has been founded for 30 years should be looking after itself, or delegated whilst a new venture should be seen as a priority. imagine ford deciding to delay a new fiesta, so they can concentrate on making the 1995 focus..Quite frankly, If SC felt he couldn't commit to ACTA, he should have declined to get involved, and Matt would have had to find another licence/line.

I wouldn't be so quick to start writing things off yet. All of the release schedule is minis, almost all of which have been approved, so if ADB do ADB stuff for the next four months in order to release the next ADB product then it isn't going to have much effect on ACTA:SFU.

I think people worrying are being very premature.

Ben2 said:
I wouldn't be so quick to start writing things off yet. All of the release schedule is minis, almost all of which have been approved, so if ADB do ADB stuff for the next four months in order to release the next ADB product then it isn't going to have much effect on ACTA:SFU.

I think people worrying are being very premature.

when you see the iceberg, leave the ship

That would be fine, if ADB had 50 employee's it simply doesn't and there isn't anyone to delegate too.

To use your comparison, how would then even design a 2012 ford superduper, if the guy making the spare parts, and the main designer, for both of the cars, was still having to do that same job, of making spare parts, because there was no one available to delegate their job.

I also suspect that Steve is finding that dealing with the ACTA:SF stuff is taking more of his time than he expected. Time that could be used on completing Captain's Log 45, and various other products. He's got his work cut out for him juggling multiple projects in process. There are 5 employees at ADB, and they are all very busy to say the least.

Being as most of the ACTA:SF releases in the next few months are all minis as I recall (ship record cards being an exception), I have no problem with him working on his core product line for a time. Trying to work on both his core games and ACTA:SF at the same time is a recipe for disaster; neither get the time they need and quality suffers.

Having the ACTA:SF stuff suffer/dwindle away would be unfortunate, especially since it's my favorite game right now, but hardly likely to put ADB out of business. Neglecting his core products, some of which have been in production for 15-20 or more years might put him out of business in the longer term.

It's going to have to be about balance and keeping both groups of players happy, which will be no easy task.

Back