Prime Directive...

There's a post on that thread from November 2013 that says "Work on this project (constantly interrupted as both companies complete due diligence on virtually every page) will accelerate under the new deal."

What's this "new deal"?

Since I'm not yet a member of that new board, and I spend a great deal of time reading all these posts, I'll leave this text here:

So is PD going to use the same World Traveller codes that standard traveller uses? For instance the first digit in the Traveller World code is the starport. I assume most starports in PD will be in orbit, as a lot of Federation ships don't typically land.
Also is the setting the same as Star Trek: Into Darkness? I guess the World digit codes for size, atmosphere, and hydrograhics would be the same, as well as population, government and law level. Tech level will probably mean something different that in Standard Traveller.

Typically, Prime Directive will use the mechanics of the RPG system it's written for. Some skills and tech levels get a slight modification to match the '60s Star Trek which is the setting for Prime Directive. It's actually referred to as the Star Fleet (or is it Starfleet?) Universe. And takes place after the '60s TV show and creates its own universe before the movies take place.

ShawnDriscoll said:
It's actually referred to as the Star Fleet (or is it Starfleet?) Universe.
Starfleet is Paramount. Star Fleet is ADB. It's a minor grammatical yet legally very important difference.

Sgt_G said:
ShawnDriscoll said:
It's actually referred to as the Star Fleet (or is it Starfleet?) Universe.
Starfleet is Paramount. Star Fleet is ADB. It's a minor grammatical yet legally very important difference.
So basically, would you say Captain Kirk if done in the Prime Directive setting would be a Scout Character, since his mission is essentially the same as the 3rd Imperium Scout Service? The USS Enterprise is a scout ship, one armed with photon torpedoes and phasers and shields, but essentially a very large scout ship. would that be accurate? Or does Starfleet count as a naval service so members serving in StarFleet would actually be Naval characters?

Tom Kalbfus said:
So basically, would you say Captain Kirk if done in the Prime Directive setting would be a Scout Character, since his mission is essentially the same as the 3rd Imperium Scout Service? The USS Enterprise is a scout ship, one armed with photon torpedoes and phasers and shields, but essentially a very large scout ship. would that be accurate? Or does Starfleet count as a naval service so members serving in StarFleet would actually be Naval characters?
Think Star Fleet setting, ships, skills, and careers run using the Mongoose Traveller system. The Star Fleet universe is more militant than the Star Trek universe. The Star Fleet Technical Manual from 1973 seems to trigger the split in the timelines.

Players are going to do their own universe styles of course. I like the Star Trek 11 and 12 styles with the bigger ships and massive weapons.

ShawnDriscoll said:
Tom Kalbfus said:
Think Star Fleet setting, ships, skills, and careers run using the Mongoose Traveller system. The Star Fleet universe is more militant than the Star Trek universe. The Star Fleet Technical Manual from 1973 seems to trigger the split in the timelines.

Players are going to do their own universe styles of course. I like the Star Trek 11 and 12 styles with the bigger ships and massive weapons.
Is it similar to the last two Star Trek movies with Chris Pine, I mean those two movies seem to be set in the same era that you are talking about. What are the differences between the Star Fleet Universe and the setting of Star Trek Into Darkness? The last one seemed pretty militant to me.

Tom Kalbfus said:
Is it similar to the last two Star Trek movies with Chris Pine, I mean those two movies seem to be set in the same era that you are talking about. What are the differences between the Star Fleet Universe and the setting of Star Trek Into Darkness? The last one seemed pretty militant to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Universe

In SFB/FedCmdr, the Fed CA has four photons and eight phasers. In the Abrams universe, the Fed CA has forty-four photons and eight-hundred phasers. And does less damage to the other ship per volley.

ShawnDriscoll said:
Tom Kalbfus said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Universe
I see, it is the Star Trek cartoon universe, and has Niven's Kizinti in it, but so far no Pierson's Puppeteers. The Galactic coordinate system is a bit confusing with 24 sectors named after greek letters while the Star Trek Galaxy is divided into four quadrants named after greek letters, and 36 sectors 0 through 9 and A through Z. Not that it makes much difference to me. Still it resembles the original series. The warp scale is the old one I suppose, which is open ended rather than ending at an infinite energy warp 10.

This may be a useful (free) look at the Star Fleet Universe: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produ...leet-Universe-Prime-Directive-and-Roleplaying

We are licensed to use TOS and TAS, but only so far as we already have done. Our Kzintis share little in common with Niven's Kzin, except for "feline-ish" and the full name (we never use "Kzin").

We are not allowed to use characters from the series, so I cannot advise you what any characters would be. However, what you do around your gaming table is up to you. :)

Your career can be anything in the Mongoose core Traveller book and we are adding a few extra ones.

We are still working on the ships.

We are coding our worlds to match the Traveller worlds. You'll also have the original series way of classifying the worlds so your character can scan the world and tell the captain, "Sir, it is a typical Class-L planet," and you will know that it is Earth-like, but without as much water. :) I think of it as having the best of both worlds -- you can choose exactly how you want to run your game.

As for the "new deal," you can read about it here: http://federationcommander.blogspot.com/2013/11/press-release-13-november-2013.html

Sorry for the long silence on these boards. In short order we went on vacation, I got a new dog (rescue spaniel/dachshund mix), I caught the creeping crud which left me with prolonged coughing spells for two months, my little dog got sick and died (neurological condition that could not be cured) and that left me emotionally devastated, and then I ended up with a youngish rescue dog (long-haired chihuahua).

Does that help with your questions?

Jean said:
Sorry for the long silence on these boards. In short order we went on vacation, I got a new dog (rescue spaniel/dachshund mix), I caught the creeping crud which left me with prolonged coughing spells for two months, my little dog got sick and died (neurological condition that could not be cured) and that left me emotionally devastated, and then I ended up with a youngish rescue dog (long-haired chihuahua).

Does that help with your questions?

Jean, nice to see you back again and condolences on the loss of your canine friend, as I just lost my feline friend of 20 years I can certainly sympathise.

And still really looking forward to the book(s)!

DW

Sympathies. It's never easy losing a pet. Hope your new dog helps you through it.

Tom Kalbfus said:

It's probably fair to say it's closer to the Abrams movies than anything else post the original series. As noted, there is much more actual war (kind of inevitable given it was written for a wargame), but also there are a few changes (or at least things not entirely clear in the original series which have been taken a different way by the ADB writers to how the Paramount writers eventually took them).

For example:

Point defence is a 'thing' - Ships have 'primary' phasers (Phaser-1s and Phaser-2s) and short range phalanx/goalkeeper like things (Phaser-3s) - if you remember the Kelvin shooting down (some of) the incoming missiles, that's a pretty good visual picture of two SFB ships exchanging drone fire.

Drones are pretty much what Paramount made torpedoes be (warp-capable missiles). Torpedoes, by comparison, are David Weber-esque 'energy torpedoes' and broadly tend to be short-range 'killing blow' weapons.

Combat takes place at warp speed - albeit slower than the system-to-system 'warp speed', which pretty much takes the ship's entire power output.

It would be fun to speculate what would happen if the United Federation of Planets and Classic Traveller's Third Imperium existed in the same Universe and First Contact between the two was made. No Problem with the Imperium's Terra, the Federation already encountered a duplicate Earth inhabited only by long lived children, a third one would encounter no difficulty. How do you think the Federation and the Third Imperium would interact? Would the Federation need to apply the Prime Directive to make sure they Imperials don't get their hands on a warp drive? Considering that the Imperium has 11,000 worlds, that would be very hard.

That depends.

If the Federation was the "no money" federation, then the 3I would have to ignore it, since they probably couldn't conquer it. The Feds would leave the 3I to develop on their own, and the 3I would Red Zone any Federation worlds they encountered, possibly waging a psychohistory "Feds are evil commie dictators" campaign against them.

If the Federation DID have use for money, then the 3I would quickly make deals with them. The Feds would not hand over antimatter technology ("Prime Directive" and all that), but other powers would probably be happy enough to sell warp technology to the 3I, and eventually the 3I would become another "nation" in the Starfleet setting.

Why would the Federation have no money? The Federation need some medium of exchange, especially if there is going to be an RPG based on it. How else are the PCs going to buy their equipment? And there are characters like Harry Mudd around, who'd be glad to sell the Imperium warp drives for a profit, and if he don't, someone else will.

You have to just believe that a United Federation of Planets utopia works, and that there are people eager to get up every morning to go to work and not get paid for it. There's both a political side and an economic side to Star Trek that gets glossed over because of their holes.

Back