Pretty important, I've just noticed something.

Unless you're a regular of the forums, the mongoose main site doesn't make the future of SST look particularly rosy.... the release schedule looks like it's been ditched for starters. Also, although we have eight months to get used to the idea of SST evo, what about the new gamers currently looking at the site, possibly buying SST today? Popping into town in the morning to buy it...... how are they going to feel?
Not everyone checks the forums before buying stuff. I know how I'd be feeling in April if I'd just started buying SST now (as it stands I've got hordes of models I don't think I'll bother with).
Is anything going on the main site?

I'm just thinking, what about on Monsay when someone posts 'new to SST, how do you assemble the cap troopers'.... then they find out.

It's a good point.

Lets try a hypothetical situation.

Lets say you're one of Mongoose's distributors (such as Alliance, in the US) who buy SST by the thousand and ship it out to stores.

Lets say you see a notice on the Mongoose site tomorrow, in big letters, that effectively discourages people from buying SST in stores.

Lets say you have tens of thousands of dollars worth of SST stock (at least) in your warehouse.

You're going to be more than a little upset at Mongoose for telling people not to buy it in stores, because the stores aren't going to come to you for any more, because Mongoose would effectively be telling new customers not to buy it.

You might even tell them "you post that on your website, and there's no way we're buying any more products from you" (which would leave Mongoose with no way of getting products into stores, and effectively kill their business, as distributors are very large, and very few)

Obviously I can't say that has happened, but I would imagine the distributors most certainly would be more than a little unhappy if Mongoose left that amount of stock on their shelves. I'm not condoning the idea, I'm not saying it has happened, I'm just trying to offer a possible explanation as to why there's no notice in big letters effectively saying "Warning to customers, do not buy current Starship Troopers models, they are being replaced with better ones next year."

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the distributors are pretty annoyed that Mongoose even gave the people here 8 months notice (something for all those who complained about not getting enough warning to bear in mind - you're lucky you got any at all...).

I'd think someting more along the lines of...... 'look at the bright future for SST' with a clear timeline, rather than a warning. After all, gamers who want to paint can get a head start on the advanced units now, ready to bolster with rank and file in april :)
Knowing what we know now, SST looks like a great game to get into, going by the main page etc... it's not. COuld be putting players off now. In fact, little Johny just looked at the SST main page and thought, 'no new releases' that's a shame.
Oh no, he's signing on to GW....... he's ordering 40K..

He flatlined, you killed little Johny. I hope you're all happy.

:)

Just a thought. Think about it, collect cool stuff now, don't worry about painting 100 bugs or 100 mI with identical smily faces. Then in April, buy some troops and you've got an instant painted army :)

JoseDominguez said:
I'd think someting more along the lines of...... 'look at the bright future for SST' with a clear timeline

I'd guess there'll be something up on the SST section soon along those lines. Maybe Mongoose need to jazz up the website a bit too while they're at it, get some shouty-outy stuff up there on the front page in general instead of just pics of this months releases... use the front page to grab peoples attention and drag them in ;)

If they are new to SST they will most likely not even be aware there is or was a release schedule.

If you did not know there had been a release schedule posted you would not be likely to miss it.

Go visit many other sites and most do not have extremely advanced release schedules. Privateer is one of the few I have visited and they and every other game company have slippages.

This constant I gotta have a new, new, new this n that attitude is just silly with the major changes under way.

Why not give Mongoose a chance to deal with your concerns?
If you have an honest constructive concern and constructive suggestions as to how to "fix" their homepage then send Matthew or whomever a PM about it. :idea:

I was thinking that. Theres only like, 4 releases. No more SST, they didnt even finish the Skinnies release. The skinnies are sooo chaotic in every single way.
Duuude. =/

JoseDominguez said:
Unless you're a regular of the forums, the mongoose main site doesn't make the future of SST look particularly rosy.... the release schedule looks like it's been ditched for starters. Also, although we have eight months to get used to the idea of SST evo, what about the new gamers currently looking at the site, possibly buying SST today? Popping into town in the morning to buy it...... how are they going to feel?
Not everyone checks the forums before buying stuff. I know how I'd be feeling in April if I'd just started buying SST now (as it stands I've got hordes of models I don't think I'll bother with).

I'm just thinking, what about on Monsay when someone posts 'new to SST, how do you assemble the cap troopers'.... then they find out.

People stoping their SST purchases is exactly what scenario they invisioned acording to Matt somewhere in the Evoloution thread. They seem to think that having us old timers mad because their game is no longer supported is ok since we are getting something new and shiny in a year! Luckly we can all play it with our 8 year old friends who can't paint yet so that will make it worth the wait.

Can't find the post now, but Sprange said you will always be able to buy the current unpainted minis. You just will probably have to special order them.

So, at least they're not playing a GW and just saying, hey we're making new models, and you can't use the old ones...

For anyone who played 40k from 2nd edition to 3rd edition, you know what I mean.

Yeah I know what you mean, but you could use the old minis. MGP aren't very strict with what you use at tourneys, so I'm happy.

Major Chaos said:
JoseDominguez said:

People stoping their SST purchases is exactly what scenario they invisioned acording to Matt somewhere in the Evoloution thread. They seem to think that having us old timers mad because their game is no longer supported is ok since we are getting something new and shiny in a year! Luckly we can all play it with our 8 year old friends who can't paint yet so that will make it worth the wait.

Did you miss the part in Matt's announcement where he said the old game would still be supported?

And dont forget about those guys who dont necessarily like prepainted minis.

Battlefield Evolution: YES please!!! Correctly painted minis up to military regulations regarding that. Saves alot of work, and you cant really paint a M1A2 different than well the US Army has em.......no chance on red Tanks....

Starship Troopers Evo: No thank you no way. I think, that the more you paint a force, the more it grows on you, and painting is part of the hobby. Red MI? Sure were fighting on Mars....

Lorcan Nagle said:
Major Chaos said:
JoseDominguez said:

Did you miss the part in Matt's announcement where he said the old game would still be supported?

Nope did not miss it, just waiting to see it happen. Just like all the great rules updates we got in the new S&P...... :wink:

Besides don't you have some late comic books you shouuld be writing? :roll:

Voronesh said:
Starship Troopers Evo: No thank you no way. I think, that the more you paint a force, the more it grows on you, and painting is part of the hobby. Red MI? Sure were fighting on Mars....

PLEASE show me part in lawbook that prohibits painting over prepainted models? Or convering them?

All it does is offers CHOISE for those who don't have time. This BTW will certainly attract more players from all ages(not all veteran gamers have time to paint YET ANOTHER army).

Major Chaos said:
Lorcan Nagle said:
Major Chaos said:

Nope did not miss it, just waiting to see it happen. Just like all the great rules updates we got in the new S&P...... :wink:

when did they say there'd be rules updates in the new S&P? Matt said they'd put the new rules in a later issue.

Besides don't you have some late comic books you shouuld be writing? :roll:

I'd have to be a comic writer first.

There will be releases according to Mongoose Alex

This is what he posted in the SST Evo thread:

"We're planning to release the Speeder and Heavy Speeder later this month along with the Skinnie Soldier Heavy Weapons blister.

As for the Venerable Marauder, we have a couple of tweaks to make to the final master and then this too will see the light this year. There are a bunch of other releases coming out over the next 3-4 months as well."

Lorcan Nagle said:
when did they say there'd be rules updates in the new S&P? Matt said they'd put the new rules in a later issue.

In the beginning of the Evo thread he said we would see the rules from the never to be seen essential update appear in S&P. Later he said we would get a preview of EVO.

Lorcan Nagle said:
I'd have to be a comic writer first.

Hehe my mistake I should actually listen to my brother when he is talking about the comic forums... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Major Chaos said:
In the beginning of the Evo thread he said we would see the rules from the never to be seen essential update appear in S&P.

Did he specifically say NEXT S&P? I don't think so...So it could come just as well in S&P 37 or 38...

tneva82 said:
Voronesh said:

PLEASE show me part in lawbook that prohibits painting over prepainted models? Or convering them?

All it does is offers CHOISE for those who don't have time. This BTW will certainly attract more players from all ages(not all veteran gamers have time to paint YET ANOTHER army).

The one part where it says its hard to reassemble already assembled miniatures.
I cant paint that well, but i really like to assemble and green stuff a little. You can repaint prepainted, but reassemble......hei MGP is taking a big fun part out of the game for me...........
UNLESS ofc i special order.....which i hope will be easy.

I can understand if people prefer prepainted LAMIs.....I can totally understand that. But I like to position my models just so....
I have 60 Necron Warriors, poses arent that important. But with my 5! Destroyers, i actually posed them as a squad. Same goes for Maraurders and Exos.

And on the part of gamers of all ages.....Uhhh I know the average Magic TCG crowd......not really. I said average and Mtg has too many kids. I can live with the odd freak here and there, but prepainted attracts too many of em.
Oh yes i realize, that i kinda speak out against selling to everybody. But then again....Playing at the LGS i prefer not to run into the kiddie crowd.

So, if for your necrons you could have ordered 50 prepainted ones and special ordered 5 unassembled destroyers..... that would be perfect yes?

WHich is exactly what MG are proposing isn't it?

Back