Powers & Principalities - Preview

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

A short preview of P&P can be found at;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/b5ctapppre.pdf

Good stuff :lol:

"Breaking Down Fleet Allocation Points" section seems a little out of place? If I were MS Word, I'd underline it in green, and write "Fragment". There is no "table below" as claimed, and there isn't any change to the 2e rules here!

Perhaps the table is on page 12? ;)

The section at the end of page 11 raises a question which I seem to recall being asked before on the forum, although I don't remember what answer, if any, was given:

Fighters launched from ships don't earn victory points for the opponent when destroyed; fighters purchased as separate units do. What happens if the same type of fighter is both carried on a ship and bought separately? Suppose an Earth Alliance player takes an Omega with four Auroras, then spends a Patrol point to buy another four. During the battle, five Aurora flights are destroyed - good luck figuring out which ones came from the Omega, unless the bases or counters are distinctively marked...

Another piece of vague wording: if a carrier launches some fighters, then the bought wings are docked and re-launched, they don't score VPs... according to RAW...

AdrianH said:
good luck figuring out which ones came from the Omega, unless the bases or counters are distinctively marked...
I think you answered your own question there ;)

Also, from that extract it still seems to be leaving it abiguous as to how you deal with fighter/ship contact. Does the calculated maximum replace or coexist alongside the physical maximum? If it replaces the physical maximum, what are you meant to do with the fighters that can technically get into contact but won't physically fit? Stack them? Remove them from the table?

Burger said:
AdrianH said:
good luck figuring out which ones came from the Omega, unless the bases or counters are distinctively marked...
I think you answered your own question there ;)
Not to mention you have to identify paid for flights and flights that come as part of a ship's complement already. This means you should already be marking which flights are which :p

On top of that, every time I field a Tara'Lin I have to annotate which Nial flights are actually Shials as well.

It's SOP really to mark your flights somehow.

LBH

The only way to avoid record keeping was to make all flights (carried and wings) yield 1VP. Something that was strongly argued against in playtesting.

The new way of scoring VPs from fighters doesn't change the record keeping required.

Burger said:
Another piece of vague wording: if a carrier launches some fighters, then the bought wings are docked and re-launched, they don't score VPs... according to RAW...
It depends on which takes precedence, the rule about purchased wings scoring or the rule about launched wings not scoring.

The preview P&P says that purchased wings do score, then says that launched wings don't score, and finishes by saying that at the end of the battle you add up all the destroyed purchased flights and score for every full wing destroyed regardless of which actual wing each flight came from. The only way to interpret this coherently is to assume that the rule for purchased wings scoring takes precedence and that the rule about launched flights only applies to those flights which were originally launched from ships.

As I understand it, the rule about a ship's fighters not scoring exists because they're counted as part of the value of the ship itself. But if anybody does try the stunt of recovering a purchased fighter, launching it, and claiming that its destruction doesn't earn VP's, I suggest deploying this. :twisted:

AdrianH said:
Burger said:
It depends on which takes precedence, the rule about purchased wings scoring or the rule about launched wings not scoring.

The preview P&P says that purchased wings do score, then says that launched wings don't score, and finishes by saying that at the end of the battle you add up all the destroyed purchased flights and score for every full wing destroyed regardless of which actual wing each flight came from. The only way to interpret this coherently is to assume that the rule for purchased wings scoring takes precedence and that the rule about launched flights only applies to those flights which were originally launched from ships.

As I understand it, the rule about a ship's fighters not scoring exists because they're counted as part of the value of the ship itself. But if anybody does try the stunt of recovering a purchased fighter, launching it, and claiming that its destruction doesn't earn VP's, I suggest deploying this. :twisted:
AdrianH - you're absolutely right about the intent of the rule - "free" flights should never count towards calculating VPs in any way shape or form. Paid for flights count towards VP calculations regardless of what happens to them in battle.

The P&P text doesn't say to total the flights regardless of where they come from. It's actually very specific and consistant in that only paid for wings of flights count for VP calculations.

At the end of a battle, count how many fighter flights purchased as separate Wings have been destroyed.
The subsequent sentences are talking about these flights not all flights in general.

Triggy said:
The P&P text doesn't say to total the flights regardless of where they come from. It's actually very specific and consistant in that only paid for wings of flights count for VP calculations.
That is why I said "at the end of the battle you add up all the destroyed purchased flights and score for every full wing destroyed regardless of which actual wing each flight came from". ;)

AdrianH said:
Triggy said:
That is why I said "at the end of the battle you add up all the destroyed purchased flights and score for every full wing destroyed regardless of which actual wing each flight came from". ;)
As opposed to the "free" flights that come as a ship's complement.

Went and re-read it before commenting.

On the fighter thing... I hate that it's being said that there was no other choice. Other choices were presented, the closest one to the current rule was that you add up all dead fighters at the end of a game and count flights up to the number of wings purchased for VPs, exactly as if a ship of the appropriate level.

Would have removed record keeping for all but campaign games. Would have removed the odd distinction of 'suicide' ship launched fighters and 'valuable' purchased fighters. How often do we have to see flights running for the corner to preserve a vp or two while a dozen other flights attack, or even odder, ships specifically attacking only purchased flights while surrounded by a swarm of 'free' flights.

Overall pretty good, though I still think the Halik variant will make a lot of bore sighted fleets completely helpless. Just how does a Drazi player attack a Brakiri player now. Range control is much easier for the Brakiri or you might have a good chance of sniping one or two out.

Back