point based character generation

A

Anonymous

I was thinking of devising a point based character generation sysem for lwrpg, where you got to choose stats, skills, special abilities etc. I remember something similiar for Mutants and mastermind rpg. Does anyone have it and if so, what are the costs for skills, stats etc. I will probably get rid of classes, but allow characters to choose various careers (Kai lords, Mercenaries etc) which grant you access to various abilities which you buy with points given each level. I thought it might be easier to come up with npcs, rather than say, this person is a 4th level commoner, 2nd level Dark cultist etc. You would just have a level to indicate how powerful they were( For comparisons with the party) and then spend a few points on skills etc, fleshing them out. For pcs, the existing classes would simply be character achytypes, giving players ideas of what their characters could be, but really they would have more freedom. Ie, a kai lord could sacrifice their kai discipline developement, and go for more mundane skills, higher CS or any combinations. If the costs are appropriate, and their are limits to how high CS, skills etc can go, their shouldnt be too much power gaming misuse. Maybe someone has already toyed with a system?

stormhawk said:
I was thinking of devising a point based character generation sysem for lwrpg, where you got to choose stats, skills, special abilities etc. I remember something similiar for Mutants and mastermind rpg. Does anyone have it and if so, what are the costs for skills, stats etc. I will probably get rid of classes, but allow characters to choose various careers (Kai lords, Mercenaries etc) which grant you access to various abilities which you buy with points given each level. I thought it might be easier to come up with npcs, rather than say, this person is a 4th level commoner, 2nd level Dark cultist etc. You would just have a level to indicate how powerful they were( For comparisons with the party) and then spend a few points on skills etc, fleshing them out. For pcs, the existing classes would simply be character achytypes, giving players ideas of what their characters could be, but really they would have more freedom. Ie, a kai lord could sacrifice their kai discipline developement, and go for more mundane skills, higher CS or any combinations. If the costs are appropriate, and their are limits to how high CS, skills etc can go, their shouldnt be too much power gaming misuse. Maybe someone has already toyed with a system?

Stats base 10, cost 1 per 1 (to max of 20)
Skills 1 per 1 (though the general consensus is 1 per 3 these days)
Feats 2 each
BAB 3 per +1
Defence 2 per +1
Powers.. vary completely
Weaknesses (flaws essentially) -2, -5 and -10 dependant upon severity (yup they give you points back)

Every 15 points = a power level and every power level is like a level for purposes of determining maximum BAB, and skill rank

No Ability pt every 4 levels, No feat every 3 levels (you only get what you pay for)

Most adventures provide 1-2 new points with which to alter your characters (though I award 1 per session myself and that is still only 1 power level every 15 weeks)

stormhawk said:
I forgot. Is there still a limit on skills and BAB?

yup a power level is just like a level for apurposes of BAB and Skill rank limits.. there are no cross class skills or class skills though and no varying rates of BAB progression.

So Power level 1 is maximum +1 BAB, 4 skill ranks, no power (special ability) greater than +1
Power level 2 is +2 BAB, 5 skill ranks, no power (special ability) greater than +2

and so on...

Back