Playtest Rules 1.2 - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Hmm, from what I can see none of the main issues that make this game unbalanced and frustrating have been addressed. Maybe 3rd time's the charm.

...And almost all of these issues could be quickly remedied IF the turn sequence was corrected:

1) Initiative roll off: normal and no change
2) Special action phase: essentially everyone declares their special actions before moving and the action lasts until the start of the next turn.
3) Scouting (normal)
4) Fighters (normal)
5) Move AND shooting phase: You activate a ship, move it and fire. Move onto the next ship and otherwise the game stays the same...

Of course, I am also a big fan of the idea that battle, war and Armageddon ships have a resistance to critical hits.

One thing I was wondering, why was precise taken off the EA heavy missle? Its only got a 12" range. The regular and flash missles have precise. Yeah, your getting triple damage but your trading a lot of range for it too, I wouldnt think thats worth getting penalized even more for.

And that nuke that EA gets. If you could use the standard missles after you fire the nuke, I could see using it. Right now its not that great. It has its uses but I just cant see trading a weapon that can fire every round or every other round for a one shot emine.

What if you charged for it? Make it so if you want to take it it'll cost you a patrol point for 8AD, or something like that. That way you could fire it off the side of an apollo or the front of 2 apollos, or whatever combo that adds up to 8AD. But after you use it you can still use the regular missles, so you dont lose the launcher. But its not free.

I think BFG is a game that lacks in fun I sold my fleets for it it was just way to boaring. I do agree something needs to be added to reduce the easyness of crits. I had one game with my vorlons where the dude kept criting on teh weapons and so my chips spent most of there time floating around not shooting sence they only have one gun. Ships need a save versus crits definately depending on the PL of the ship and what type of weapon it was hit by whether it was missles, beams or others.

sidewinder said:
One thing I was wondering, why was precise taken off the EA heavy missle? Its only got a 12" range. The regular and flash missles have precise. Yeah, your getting triple damage but your trading a lot of range for it too, I wouldnt think thats worth getting penalized even more for.
Compared to flash missiles you're going from 20" to 12" and losing precise, however you're gaining super AP as well as triple damage. This is what still makes heavy missiles worth it, particularly as a "secondary weapon" on the opposite side of a ship such as the Apollo or Sagittarius to the one firing flash/normal missiles.

And compared to the regular missle your going from 30 to 12 for triple damage. its a big difference. I never saw why they took flash missles from 30 to 20 anyways. People complained but so what. You were trading SAP for AP DD. Whats wrong with that?

sidewinder said:
And compared to the regular missle your going from 30 to 12 for triple damage. its a big difference. I never saw why they took flash missles from 30 to 20 anyways. People complained but so what. You were trading SAP for AP DD. Whats wrong with that?
AP and DD is about 40% better than SAP - that's huge.

SAP and TD is about 25% better than AP, DD and Precise - that's also pretty big, particularly when you factor in that range is almost irrelevant as you simply mount the heavy missiles on a facing that you can turn to face the enemy when they are in range.

ATN082268 said:
In my view, A Call to Arms (ACTA) has 3 areas which need vast improvement:

1. The Fleet Allocation Point (FAP) System. If the ships aren't balanced in general, then the game isn't worth playing. This is true not only for ships within a particular race but also how ships from different races stack up again other races in general. Basically make smaller ships significantly more costly in a revised FAP.

2. Critical hits. You could give Armageddon ships the ability to ignore 3 critical hits of their choice and War level ships could ignore 2 critical hit of their choice and Battle could ignore 1 critical hit of their choice; If you combine this with a more balanced FAP, then things might work out.

3. Initiative. A side with more units will always have an advanatage, with all other things being equal. Even if you don't want a proportional type system which would probably work better than the existing system in general, you still have options. Limit numbers for particular levels of scenarios. Or give the side with a smaller force a bonus of some kind, which could include more forces.

1: A horde of small ships is only better than a few large ships because of init sinking and critical hits. Fix problems 2 and 3, and problem 1 pretty well disappears.

2: Various ways of making bigger ships more resilient to critical hits have been proposed. The only ones I don't like are the ones which take account of the size of the firing ship; a fusion cannon should have the same chance of doing a critical regardless of whether it's on a Torotha or a Sharlin.

3: Various ways of fixing the movement system have been proposed, and almost all run into the problem of the Drazi and their boresight weapons - basically, the idea is to reduce the effectiveness of a swarm fleet, but the Drazi fleet appears specifically designed to be a swarm. My suggestion is to make Drazi weapons forward arc, then they no longer get in the way of solutions to the init sink problem.

AdrianH said:
ATN082268 said:
In my view, A Call to Arms (ACTA) has 3 areas which need vast improvement:

1. The Fleet Allocation Point (FAP) System. If the ships aren't balanced in general, then the game isn't worth playing. This is true not only for ships within a particular race but also how ships from different races stack up again other races in general. Basically make smaller ships significantly more costly in a revised FAP.

2. Critical hits. You could give Armageddon ships the ability to ignore 3 critical hits of their choice and War level ships could ignore 2 critical hit of their choice and Battle could ignore 1 critical hit of their choice; If you combine this with a more balanced FAP, then things might work out.

3. Initiative. A side with more units will always have an advanatage, with all other things being equal. Even if you don't want a proportional type system which would probably work better than the existing system in general, you still have options. Limit numbers for particular levels of scenarios. Or give the side with a smaller force a bonus of some kind, which could include more forces.

1: A horde of small ships is only better than a few large ships because of init sinking and critical hits. Fix problems 2 and 3, and problem 1 pretty well disappears.

2: Various ways of making bigger ships more resilient to critical hits have been proposed. The only ones I don't like are the ones which take account of the size of the firing ship; a fusion cannon should have the same chance of doing a critical regardless of whether it's on a Torotha or a Sharlin.

3: Various ways of fixing the movement system have been proposed, and almost all run into the problem of the Drazi and their boresight weapons - basically, the idea is to reduce the effectiveness of a swarm fleet, but the Drazi fleet appears specifically designed to be a swarm. My suggestion is to make Drazi weapons forward arc, then they no longer get in the way of solutions to the init sink problem.

Technically, you could roll my #2 and #3 into my #1 although personally I would find it difficult enough to balance units based on their speed, firepower and damage capacity in addition to stuff like race based abilities. It is true that if my #2 and #3 problems are fixed, a lot of the problems from #1 disappear although some can remain like more units being able to soak up more damage (especially when taking into account overkill damage).

Sincerely,

Andrew Norris

Why do people sign their posts? You can't all be from the long-gone era when message boards didn't record who'd made the post, and even if you are those days are long gone...

Lord David the Denied said:
Why do people sign their posts? You can't all be from the long-gone era when message boards didn't record who'd made the post, and even if you are those days are long gone...

I sign mine simply because unlike some I prefer not to hide behind an online persona.

Cheers, Gary

What does it really matter whether we sign our posts or use our real names as our personas or not in either case?

As for real names, can you imagine the chaos if every John Smith used their real name as a forum name?

LBH

What if all ships had a save of some sort against crits? Similar to the proposed 6+ save the narn get if they use CBD, but all ships would get it. Granted, most ships under raid probably wouldnt see it but the larger ones would.

For example, while a sharlin and a warlock are both warlevel, the sharlin might only have a 6+ save( it already has stealth after all) while the warlock could have a 5+. Part of the save could just be based off the size of the ship, while part could also be based off, say, the armor of a ship. The warlock is supposed to have some pretty advanced armor after all. While it doesnt self repair or adapt or anything but it is more advanced then any regular type of passive armor. You cant give it an armor value of more then 6 so this would be another way to say this ship, and others, have badass armor. And a straight save is easier to keep track of then redundency or something like that.

And the narn rule, if they keep it, could just add a +1 to the save.

Back