Paranoia old vs new.

Clangador

Mongoose
Since I haven't GMed any edition of Paranoia other than 5th and XP, let me aks you a question. The XP rules are very very lite. Were the earlier versions so rules lite?

That's interesting you think XP is rules lite. From my read of it, it adds lots of rules. The good thing is, is that you don't have to worry about it too much. The time to worry about the rules, is when the players want to character build, like they got used to doing in other "unfun" games. How you handle this, is what makes you a Paranoid player or a Dungeon Master.

I have all the rule books, and they all are more "lite" than "heavy" IMO. But, I have not done any kind of rule comparison or count. Let me get back to you on that. It might take a week.

dunderm said:
That's interesting you think XP is rules lite. From my read of it, it adds lots of rules. The good thing is, is that you don't have to worry about it too much. The time to worry about the rules, is when the players want to character build, like they got used to doing in other "unfun" games. How you handle this, is what makes you a Paranoid player or a Dungeon Master.

I have all the rule books, and they all are more "lite" than "heavy" IMO. But, I have not done any kind of rule comparison or count. Let me get back to you on that. It might take a week.

Well, I use to play GURPS. I've run paranpia adventures under GURPS. That system is so rules heavy you can use it for a battleship anchor.

The XP rules are very very lite. Were the earlier versions so rules lite?
The current edition is not exactly "lite" except in comparison to GURPS, but it is pretty highly focused. Earlier editions had more character attributes and skills, and a few more tables; in particular, first edition had a large and nightmarish two-page, four-step table to determine attack chances and damage. Second edition tightened things up considerably, within the standard roleplaying paradigm of the time -- lots of explicit die-roll modifiers.

The Mongoose edition keeps the earlier editions' mutation rules, weapons and equipment lists, drug effects, and other details, but tries hard to avoid quantifying exact modifiers. With the current Perversity system, exact modifiers are both redundant and distracting.

Allen Varney said:
The XP rules are very very lite. Were the earlier versions so rules lite?
The current edition is not exactly "lite" except in comparison to GURPS, but it is pretty highly focused. Earlier editions had more character attributes and skills, and a few more tables; in particular, first edition had a large and nightmarish two-page, four-step table to determine attack chances and damage. Second edition tightened things up considerably, within the standard roleplaying paradigm of the time -- lots of explicit die-roll modifiers.

The Mongoose edition keeps the earlier editions' mutation rules, weapons and equipment lists, drug effects, and other details, but tries hard to avoid quantifying exact modifiers. With the current Perversity system, exact modifiers are both redundant and distracting.

Well, with GURPS on one side and FUDGE on another, I'd say Paranoia leans more towards FUDGE than GURPS. Not that there is any problem with that. As I've said before, I like the straight play style with a bit of Classic sprinkled on top. I feel you can actually run and develop a campaign that way, which is what I want to do. I would like it if the rules had attributes and more character-building rules than they do, but the lack of them really doesn't hurt the game. I know it's suppose to be a fun/zany type of game without a whole lot of indepth charater development. I don't like it when rules bind me, but I do like some to guide me.

Want to know the truth? I haven't used the Perversity system yet. If I can get together more players and run some kind of campaign, I will give it a go.

It would be interesting to hear some actual game feedback on it?

dunderm said:
Want to know the truth? I haven't used the Perversity system yet. If I can get together more players and run some kind of campaign, I will give it a go.

I'll let you know, my players are familiar with Action Points in other non-fun RPGs, so they get the basic idea, and are actually rather psyched to be able to mess around with other people's odds. As soon as I get through my first game I'll post how Perversity was utilized.

xombie said:
dunderm said:

I'll let you know, my players are familiar with Action Points in other non-fun RPGs, so they get the basic idea, and are actually rather psyched to be able to mess around with other people's odds. As soon as I get through my first game I'll post how Perversity was utilized.

That aspect of the game is very fun sounding. Who doesn't want to screw over their fellow PCs. :wink:

Speaking of old and new rules. I think Paranoia is the only game system I have not made any rule changes in. I've left some out at times, :) but I have never changed or added to the game mechanics. To me the story line and how the players deal with that, has always been more important to me than the rules. I think that's what makes this game more fun than other RPGs where you argue over getting a +1 or -1 to hit. Very unfun.

Yeah, and if they are still not happy, demote them to Infrareds, and send to PLC for hard labor in food preparation. Big paddles to stir boiling vats of different colored liquids ought to shape them up quick and make them appreciate being a Troubleshooter.

dunderm said:
Yeah, and if they are still not happy, demote them to Infrareds, and send to PLC for hard labor in food preparation. Big paddles to stir boiling vats of different colored liquids ought to shape them up quick and make them appreciate being a Troubleshooter.
Hey not a bad idea, after a few sessions when they understand that finding Treason is the quickest way to advance, suddenly have an NPC demote them back to Infrared and see how long it takes them to backstab their way back up. I mean, all it takes is finding one traitor, and well, there's never a better target than the one sitting across the gaming table from you.

Yeah! Hey! I just had a thought (no wise cracks :) ). Think of all those different colors... big paddles shaped like spoons... splashing... Food fight! And get this, everybody here is Infrared! All those colors..? Makes finding a traitor fairly easy. :)

dunderm said:
Yeah! Hey! I just had a thought (no wise cracks :) ). Think of all those different colors... big paddles shaped like spoons... splashing... Food fight! And get this, everybody here is Infrared! All those colors..? Makes finding a traitor fairly easy. :)

That could be fun. :twisted:

dunderm said:
Speaking of old and new rules. I think Paranoia is the only game system I have not made any rule changes in. I've left some out at times, :) but I have never changed or added to the game mechanics. To me the story line and how the players deal with that, has always been more important to me than the rules. I think that's what makes this game more fun than other RPGs where you argue over getting a +1 or -1 to hit. Very unfun.

Some GMs don't even use the rules. They judge what does and doesn't succeed as it comes to them.. Slightly lazy in my opinion, but it works for them. There aren't many games that work with that kind of flexibility.

That is sad. Why do they (I mean republishers/editors), have to always change the original game mechanics? Top Secret's original game mechanics were excellent. The charts for comparing tactics I keep trying to use in other games. Their use of secondary and tertiary abilities made a unique system also.

Anyway, why are perfectly fine games ruined all the time? I guess we'll never know.

Back