Paint club

Those windows give a nice look. I find that they are too often, not well molded, especially on the front of the command boom.

Suffered a painting setback last night that almost made me want to Godzilla rage stomp my minis.

Had a D6 fully painted (and painted well in my opinion) and had applied the decals. Took most of the night to finish. As I was about to spray a protective varnish coat onto it, I accidentally dropped it on the concrete garage floor, breaking the wings of, peeling and gouging paint, and tearing some of the decals.

After trying for an hour to re-glue and touch up paint, the 'repair' paint was too thick, and looked terrible, so I ended up having to put the model in Simple Green and strip the paint to start over. Very frustrating - especially for someone like me who really only paints to get to the finished result, not out of any sense of relaxation or enjoyment.

Will probably try and pick it back up later in the week or on the weekend. In the meantime, I finished applying decals to my 2400 series Klingon Squadron boxed, and finished a 2400 Federation DN.

Melkor said:
Suffered a painting setback last night that almost made me want to Godzilla rage stomp my minis.
I feel your pain, Melkor! I had a whole troop of figures painted up for another game once, and sprayed them with a bad batch of clear sealer. It looked like texture paint when it dried and I had to strip all 20 figures. :cry:

mdauben said:
Melkor said:
I feel your pain, Melkor! I had a whole troop of figures painted up for another game once, and sprayed them with a bad batch of clear sealer. It looked like texture paint when it dried and I had to strip all 20 figures. :cry:

Had that happen a couple months ago, wherein 8 Klingon ships had to be stripped to bare metal and totally redone because the matte/gloss coats didn't get along and the surface got all crackly. Still haven't finished them.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I thought of something to do!

So, I've been seeing all the conversion pictures for the folks doing the Saladin conversions, and got to thinking what kind of conversions I could do. Converting is one of my favorite parts of Warhammer stuff, though obvious there's a lot less room here. However, I think I thought of something.

Basically, I want to replicate the USS Kelvin from the start of ST XI. I think this might actually be fairly easy to do, given how most of the Fed models are built with regards to how the pieces connect. But I'd like some input as to the best pieces to use. I was thinking a Dreadnought saucer, as it's already pre-molded for two attachments in the back (and also accounts for the Kelvin having a crew of ~800), with perhaps the upper nacelle attached to the bottom instead, and then a secondary hull from perhaps a Constitution (or would a Fast/Strike cruiser one be smaller? I don't have either of those models) rigged to the top. Think it could work?

Stats-wise, I'd probably have it count as either a New Heavy or Battlecruiser.

Well, went ahead and made that Kelvin-type. Here's how it came out. Sorry for the fuzziness.

1016898_10201741890728131_1561710031_n.jpg

Saucer and lower neck are from a battlecruiser, nacelle is from a dreadnought, secondary hull is from a strike cruiser. Still gotta greenstuff some gaps and stuff, but I'd say the bulk of it is done. Thoughts?

Awesome job! Two thumbs up.

Looks just like the Hallmark ornament my wife and nephew just picked up for me a couple of days ago.

Kenting, the D-7 is nicely done! It's very similar to my Romulan Kestral ships (after much internal debate, I went green with my Klingons). Looks great :) The windows are a pain to paint but add a lot.

Thanks Drummer. The Green is definitely a nice colour but I still love the old school TOS grey. For me there was no hard decision to make...grew up watching TOS.

I know these are dated, but here's my most recent work. I'm not very good, but I'm practicing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 4,295
mckay3129 said:
I know these are dated, but here's my most recent work. I'm not very good, but I'm practicing!

My next step would be to wash the metal areas (can't tell from the picture if they have been or not) and maybe use masking tape to cover plenty of the red areas and paint the exposed black to give the Narn stripes.

Marker pens are your friends. Do the outlines of the black areas with a marker pen, then fill them in with paint. The only Narn ship I have is a G'Quan and that's how I did the black. (And, for that matter, the red. I started off with a white base, then added the black bits, then did the red as close to them as possible without actually touching so that the end result was black patches with white edges.) The one problem is that acrylic paint dissolves marker pen ink and mixes with it, so if you have to go back over an area coloured with marker pen, use enamel instead.

A little late in the month, but here is what I have been doing:

Off the assembly line this month:
DSCN36471280x960_zps0f205cb2.jpg

Here's the waiting queue:

DSCN36481280x960_zpsb45bc930.jpg

First row to the right is stuff being worked on now, middle row is soon, row on right is low priority (get done when I get a breather).

I also have 23 more ships on the way from Mongoose at some point in the new few weeks (I hope).

Whew, at least I need to get those ships prepped and primed before the cold weather sets in so I can spend the rest of the winter painting. :lol:

Star Fleet unfortunately got 0 traction around here, but a happy and unexpected spin off was a revitalisation of the Bab5 scene. Rounding out some fleets with new capabilities :shock:

vorchan_zps9e370122.jpg

vtantalus_zps7437cd99.jpg

velutarian_zpsd8d29d04.jpg

valen_zpsc3a31793.jpg

The Tantalus has a rotating mid section. I've done it on a few EA ships now.

I reshaped the "tube" on the upper mid section of the Altarians as the original irked me....I'll use these as Elutarians so it looks like a launch tube now. Valen photo is washed out by the flash...cant see the wing details now.

Regarding Narn stripes, this site had a technique that looks to be workable:

http://triplezeropainting.com/2011/03/06/step-two-base-painting/
http://triplezeropainting.com/2011/03/06/step-three-highlighting/

(Although now that I think about, this is probably why I don't have many Narn ships...)

Back