P&P overall

Alexb83 said:
Foxmeister said:
IMHO, stealth in ACTA is probably pretty much "correct" as per the show.

They mention that during the Earth-Minbari war, the Earthforce ships couldn't get a lock on the Minbari ships, which definitely implies that they *knew* the Minbari were there, they just couldn't bring their weapons to bear because the targeting computer could not locate the target.

I see a gravitic shifter much like an e-mine - you are targeting an area of space rather than a specific ship, i.e. changing the local gravitational field in a specific area, so I can see why they would ignore stealth.

Of course, this fubars boresight as written, because if you knew precisely where your enemy was, you'd be able to boresight, regardless of lock! ;) Then again boresight always was sh1te!

Regards,

Dave

Alternative mechanics and extra options such as manual targetting special actions have been suggested and poo-poohed in the past. What can you do?

Ultimately stealth is something completely out of your hands as a player - there's no realistic way to hold long range and fight effectively (for the sake of that +1 bonus). You can't always rely on there being dust clouds or terrain to hide behind/around. Once you get into medium range, it's just luck to see if anyone can't get a lock on you. Then pretty much everyone can - and if you haven't got lucky with the odd critical by then, you're probably dead.

I disagree with the pretty much everyone can - often fail to see - even with Shadows at short range and god forbid both fleets end up in an asteroid field. its realsitically frustrating ! :D

If there are errors in the book. when will they be fixed and new books sent out? I'm gonna wait to buy the book till the major errors are fixed.

According to the thread Centauri Hunting Packs - A Question for you Chaps, Mongoose will publish a PDF containing clarifications for P&P, although (at the moment, at least) that just means the missing sentence and the revised Centauri Hunting Pack rule.

Perhaps we could start a new thread listing other items which need to be clarified or fixed, e.g. multiple Brakiri grav shifters, and why the bit about energy mines breaking stealth appears specifically in the Minbari section. Keep that thread short, then maybe it will be acted on; long discussions can go somewhere else, e.g. right here. :D

Da Boss said:
Alexb83 said:
Foxmeister said:
IMHO, stealth in ACTA is probably pretty much "correct" as per the show.

They mention that during the Earth-Minbari war, the Earthforce ships couldn't get a lock on the Minbari ships, which definitely implies that they *knew* the Minbari were there, they just couldn't bring their weapons to bear because the targeting computer could not locate the target.

I see a gravitic shifter much like an e-mine - you are targeting an area of space rather than a specific ship, i.e. changing the local gravitational field in a specific area, so I can see why they would ignore stealth.

Of course, this fubars boresight as written, because if you knew precisely where your enemy was, you'd be able to boresight, regardless of lock! ;) Then again boresight always was sh1te!

Regards,

Dave

Alternative mechanics and extra options such as manual targetting special actions have been suggested and poo-poohed in the past. What can you do?

Ultimately stealth is something completely out of your hands as a player - there's no realistic way to hold long range and fight effectively (for the sake of that +1 bonus). You can't always rely on there being dust clouds or terrain to hide behind/around. Once you get into medium range, it's just luck to see if anyone can't get a lock on you. Then pretty much everyone can - and if you haven't got lucky with the odd critical by then, you're probably dead.

I disagree with the pretty much everyone can - often fail to see - even with Shadows at short range and god forbid both fleets end up in an asteroid field. its realsitically frustrating ! :D

Ok that game was an odd one out! I agree that if you have stealthed ships caught out in the open at close/medium range the ships are probably done for unless luck holds out. And now players are seasoned in how to deal with stealthed ships (multiple targets from gun ports to lower stealth accross a fleet) so stealth isn't a huge problem - its mainly all luck anyway.

I disagree though with gravitic shifters automatically targeting an individual ship if it does not cover a certain area as an energy mine does - if it is not area effect it should require a targeting computer - as somebody said boresighting doesn't ignore stealth so why should these weapons?

Also as said above gravitic shifters are weapons so surely all shields should stop them if GEG and AA does? How can a weapon shake the ship if there are shields around it?

Also does CBD work against gravitic shifters? Surely they should?

Sigh...

Didn't see the grav shifter Halik was skirmish. They drazi would be extinct in if this is how they really work.

I went to get my lawn mower out of the shed this afternoon and to my suprise there was a package from Mongoose. So I got my P&P today. Hooray!

Like Greg, my copy from Matt would've been here by now but I was out and have to pick it up from the Post Office...

Got mine today, seemingly about as quick as if I'd prerodered it, so now all I need to do is revise 2E and learn P&P over this Bank Holiday weekend.

I've already picked names for my ships.

LBH

Triggy said:
Like Greg, my copy from Matt would've been here by now but I was out and have to pick it up from the Post Office...

advantage of gaming at SWAT, I get to pick up my copy in person :D

katadder said:
Triggy said:

advantage of gaming at SWAT, I get to pick up my copy in person :D
Indeed, after playing football today, I still haven't had the chance to pick it up!

I'm pretty impressed with P&P overall. A lot of interesting tweaks and adjustments. Haven't had a chance to try any of them out yet, unfortunately, but that's only a matter of time.

I do have a few questions, however.

General

Gravitic Shifters: After the first success, do subsequent attempts require additional Opposed Crew Quality Checks? I don't think I've seen any clarification on this yet.

Huge Hangers: I like the new FAP splits, but now the Ma'cu and Amu can carry more than their priority in Skirmish ships. Not sure what to do with that.

Space Stations

Vorlon and Shadow Planet Killers: The description makes mention of the total amount of dice required to destroy a Gas Giant; this being 15 and 80, respectively. That would require 3 or 4 modules, but an Armageddon level station only has enough hardpoints for two...
Also, the Vorlon module has three times the range and grants almost twice the speed (admittedly, that's only 2 inches). It also has a lot less AD, but it's a beam and precise. Just seems odd.

Vree: The Vree do not have an Antimatter Cannon module. Why? I mean, it's the most common weapon in the fleet.

Multiple Weapon Modules: Do the AD from multiple modules add together, or does each become a separate weapon system?

Huge Hangars - this is just something the Drakh have as part of their race's advantages.

Planet Killers - This should probably have been clarified but normally means that they need to spend multiple turns "killing" the planet. Any AD put onto a planet in current and previous turns are added together.

stryve said:
Huge Hangers: I like the new FAP splits, but now the Ma'cu and Amu can carry more than their priority in Skirmish ships. Not sure what to do with that.

Note that the Amu has had a downgrade.

stryve said:
Also, the Vorlon module has three times the range and grants almost twice the speed (admittedly, that's only 2 inches). It also has a lot less AD, but it's a beam and precise. Just seems odd.

the vorlon planet killer is also boresight on a spd5 lumbering vessel. the shadows weapon is turreted like all other space station weapons.

Right, so mostly I just overlooked the parts that answered my questions. I do that much too often...

Although I didn't miss anything with the Drahk. It's just, adjusting the FAP splits to limit swarms doesn't work as well when you don't need to buy down to field one. Dunno what to do about that, or even if anything further should be done. Just pointng it out.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Back