Other Periods

You are assuming people's level of knowledge Hiro....

And you're not?

Assumption again, if you look at my location you'll see where I am and therefore I am not on the same island.......

You're still close enough for Ted to get to you though.. I've heard he can swim.

That's all fine and dandy, but the point still stands:

And you're not making an assumption on people's level of knowledge?

errr I have a nasty head cold and seem to have lost the plot.... :oops:

What are we argueing about here :lol:

Also whilst I am asking awkward questions, Old Bear, what side of the original arguement are you on, you seem to be argueing both.... :twisted:

cordas said:
errr I have a nasty head cold and seem to have lost the plot.... :oops:

What are we argueing about here :lol:

Also whilst I am asking awkward questions, Old Bear, what side of the original arguement are you on, you seem to be argueing both.... :twisted:

Well, I didn't for a moment suggest that the Evo rules engine was intended for use across all periods, but once it was suggested it definitely couldn't be amended to work that was a red rag to a bull. Clearly it can be.

I know with absolute certainty that i could take the core elements of the Evo rules and work them into any given period. I could even make it work for scales above skirmish level. Arguments that things like suppression didn't happen previously are laughable. if people want to believe such things, that's entirely up to them, but to me it's turning to semantics to cover up holes in an argument.

emperorpenguin said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:
What's 'official' got to do with it? the answer is: nothing. :wink: .

You are wrong. unofficial variants are done all the time but no games designer has tried to write a single rules set to cover all periods because those with military history knowledge know it isn't possible!

Piquet.

emperorpenguin said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:
Not played the house rule versions of ACW, Colonial and Napoleonic on the web then? they work OK, considering, and the engine used through Warhammer WW2 through to the proper sci-fi game is essentially the same.

they aren't official, anyone can write unofficial sci-fi versions of DBA for example!

There are still some fundamental differences between Warhammer ancients and fantasy though let alone 40K. Then there are differences between Ancients and ECW

They don't attempt to use one rule catches all

Don't they? Check out the firing rules, the morale rules, the melee rule and the movement rules and tell me where they differ. The differences are in a few rules pertaining to the period in question.

Same goes for the Piquet system. One core set with additional rules for each period. The fact that some people have converted (successfully) these rules to other periods should not be derided simply because they are not official. I rather imagine that if it suited GW they have the talent there to exceed well-meaning amateurs producing house rules.

emperorpenguin said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:
What's 'official' got to do with it? the answer is: nothing. :wink: .

You are wrong. unofficial variants are done all the time but no games designer has tried to write a single rules set to cover all periods because those with military history knowledge know it isn't possible!

So, 'wrong' and 'no knowledge of military history' in the same paragraph, eh? You know how to win friends and influence people. :lol:

"Its just another brick in the wall to me"... :)

So far i have done the following

Ghost recon evo
stargate evo
Zombie based game
And hope to work on xcom

A friend of mine done name rules, somebody else has done the complete starwars films as well....

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Well, I didn't for a moment suggest that the Evo rules engine was intended for use across all periods, but once it was suggested it definitely couldn't be amended to work that was a red rag to a bull. Clearly it can be.

I know with absolute certainty that i could take the core elements of the Evo rules and work them into any given period. I could even make it work for scales above skirmish level. Arguments that things like suppression didn't happen previously are laughable. if people want to believe such things, that's entirely up to them, but to me it's turning to semantics to cover up holes in an argument.

Ahh I agree with you, although I think working Evo into larger scale battles than Skirimish level might be more work than its worth, or that said it might be nice to take some ideas from Evo and try and work them into different systems (and possibly easier).

I love the basic premise of evo in that its 2 Actions (either of which can create a reaction), it just gives such an open feel to the game and a fluidity that most other game systems I have tried lack.

As for the suppression arguement its just plain daft......

cordas said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:

Ahh I agree with you, although I think working Evo into larger scale battles than Skirimish level might be more work than its worth, or that said it might be nice to take some ideas from Evo and try and work them into different systems (and possibly easier).

I love the basic premise of evo in that its 2 Actions (either of which can create a reaction), it just gives such an open feel to the game and a fluidity that most other game systems I have tried lack.

As for the suppression arguement its just plain daft......

No doubt for larger battles with formations and such like the rules would require re-evaluating, but like you say, the 2 actions system works well and I'm sure we could come up with mechanisms that would still keep the game recognisable.

Mongoose Old Bear said:
No doubt for larger battles with formations and such like the rules would require re-evaluating, but like you say, the 2 actions system works well and I'm sure we could come up with mechanisms that would still keep the game recognisable.

Don't forget the reaction, thats the bit that sells the game to me and really makes it come alive, its the flake in the ice cream.... Yeah the ice cream and the cone are cool, but add a flake and its something really special :D

Quite so. I think it's condusive to good gaming when you know you can't just wander around the battlefield during your turn without repercussions.

Just thinking about how to evoify Flames of War :) Without making my Russian heavy MGs a unbeatable game winner *LOL*

with our ACW tests we have several figs to a base, each base of infantry (basic) gives a D6 dice so 5 bases wide gives 5D6 but represents around 25 men shooting.

so in a way its mass combat.

reactions and supression stay the same, as range is 15" but movmnet is 5" so you tend to stay at range from the enemy as what happens is you get hit and you can either fire back or move away out of range for their next shots. if supressed all you can do is give a bit of ground or hold your position and possably get shot again, it works damn well.

and you actualy achieve flanks moving and such or holding thei ground so cavalry can get in position. with reduced ranges you find pulling back out of enemy range is for survival, exactly what giving ground is about.

i think alot of people are moaning here without evan rolling a dice and trying stuff.

cordas said:
Just thinking about how to evoify Flames of War :) Without making my Russian heavy MGs a unbeatable game winner *LOL*

simple balance weapon ranges and mobility to the theater of war.

fow mod actualy plays smoother so far, once it fully tested il release a few notes, fully tested means way more than 10 games

Back