Order of Battle PDF?

klingsor

Mongoose
Is there any word when 'Order of Battle' will be released as a PDF? My copy of VaS is PDF and it seems inappropriate to have a home (well work actually) printed copy of the core rules and a proper copy of the supplement (and yes I know that is silly but it would still bother me) - and it is a bit cheaper as well.

tbh i wudnt buy the pdf until MG bring it out as that drivethrurpg one cud just be a scan of the book, not good for business for our fav publisher now is it

I doubt Mongoose would have given anyone a license to issue a scan. I suspect it is simply that DriveThru/RPGNow got it on sale before Wargaming Online.

So come on Matt, stick it online so I can enjoy my Soviet fleet being so much worse than it was in Signs & Portents.

I have ordered from Drive Through RPG, sorry DriveThruRPG, before and have been perfectly happy with what I bought. Decent PDFs that were obviously not just scans.
Better yet, I can browse to it from work. I had better check that the printers have toner in them.
Obviously buying the PDF of General Quarters III last night has had some sort of weird, synchronistic effect.

Out of interest, my book turned up yesterday (thanks Matt) and it has the B-17, Me-110, SM.79 and IL4 stats included. I haven't had a chance yet to look through to see what other changes have been made so far.

Mine does not have the B-17 or the SM. 79. Why would I be missing these, I just bought the darned book? What else may I be missing? How did different versions get released this quickly? Is there a list of what we SHOULD have gotten in the book?

Am I just an unlucky guy?

It would appear that elements of the errata have been adopted in current printings of the book. I understand from Matt that the official errata will be available as a PDF download shortly (its been done, it just needs turning into a PDF)

I guess I just find it pretty annoying that I buy a hard cover book last week, just to find out it is missing stuff. A new version is already out, was probably already out when I bought my copy. And now I can patiently wait for an errata to be released which some folks have already included in their hard back version.

Again, it is just annoying. I hate spending money on a hard cover book which is already out of date and I'll need to stuff extra sheets into to have all the information.

Fresh in from Matt
>>>When will the pdf be available on Wargaming Online? Will the pdf include the errata?

Just as soon as I can upload it, and yes.

>>>As the errata'd hard copy is now available, when will the errata be released for those who already have a hard copy?

There will, just as soon as we can lay it out!

Like most first editions of wargames and RPGs those from Mongoose usually have some problems. However at least Mongoose issues errata and patches them for the next edition.

It annoys me greatly that I tried to do the right thing and support Mongoose by pre-ordering from them, only to get an error filled version.

Amen. When I buy a book, to find out that a "corrected version" is already out, it tends to frustrate me. Under another topic a guy claims he and his friends bought books at the same store and he got a original, and his buddies got the fixed version, from the same shipment. This is just frickin sloppy. No reason that Mongoose or the distributor should be passing out screwed versions after the fixed versions are out.

this really is annoying. i have an italian fleet yet my OOB has no SM79 plane in it. now i see other copies will have it.
i feel a not very happy bunny. :cry:
people who rushed to buy the book out of loyalty/enthusaism are been punished!

My problem is that I got my book at the same time as another gamer. We both reserved a copy of it so it came out of the first shipment to the store. He has the B-17s, I do not.

More importantly, the OOB sitting on the shelf (which is a restock item) does NOT have the B-17s (or any of the others).

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Well, by now also a little bit angry..... looks like in the future I will turn to the PDF-version. Getting free access to the oob-PDF would at least somehow be a nice way of not punishing the early byers.

It would be nice if the pdf was free concidering I bought the early book,I do have ne question why does vanguard have less armour than the KGV when it was better armoured than a Iowa class

Stormbringer said:
I do have ne question why does vanguard have less armour than the KGV when it was better armoured than a Iowa class

The KGV had a belt armor rated at 15", while the Vanguard was 14". Vanguard did not angle its belt armor, which would have added deflective performance which has the effect of a virtual increase in protection. The entire superstructure of Vanguard also had no armor protection, so that would take her down a notch, iiho.

As to comparisions with Iowa, the "natural" armor belt of Iowa was 12.2", but there was an added outside layer of .875" 'STS' (Special Treatment Steel) that was specifically made to literally decapitate the penetrating feature (the AP cap) of a naval AP (armor piercing) projectile. Some sources consider this STS layer to add a thickness offset addition of perhaps 3x its real thickness, topping the armor belt efficiency at about the same as KGV. Also, the STS decapping feature was made to work with the concept of angling (or outward canting) the entire armor belt at 19 deg. Even the KGV's 15" armor was mounted vertical (like in Vanguard and Bismarck).

The best belt armor was of course the Yamato's. At 16.1" thick and outward canted at 20 deg., I would have given the Yamato an armor factor of 7+. :wink:

I forgot a few additional details on the Iowa belt defense. The Iowa's main belt was fitted inside the ship a number of feet (on the third torpedo bulkhead), with an outside additional layer of 1.5" more of STS added to .5" of mild steel. This adds 2" more protection (at least) to the previous stated layers. Also, on the above-mentioned STS over 12.2" main belt there was 2" of cement sandwiched between the STS and main armor thickness. Lastly, there was another layer of 1" STS placed a few feet behind the main belt, just for good measure (and 1.5" of STS additionally protecting the main magazines). The decapping plate effect of the SOUTH DAKOTA's belt is about the same as having an additional 3.9" (99 mm) of armor. The outer plating of the Iowa could de-cap all projectiles up to 18.6" (Yamato carried 18.1").

The deck protection used an equivalent of 5.8" of STS. STS was used on the upper hull and major bulkheads as well.

STS was lavishly expensive, but the S. Dakota and Iowa class used it like a drunken sailor spends his money on shore leave. :wink:

It's interesting to note that modern personal body armor is most effective when made using layers of different materials and sandwiching them. The angling of the US and Japanese belt armor (and to a lesser degree but still using it of the French and Italians) was very like the advantage seen on the Russian T-34 tank when going up against the vertical armor of the German Tiger I. The Germans were not lost on this novel idea though and quickly copied it and made the Panther. :wink:

Back