Open Day Folks!

I really enjoyed it. It felt much more like RQ1/2 rather than 3, and the simplification approach is, imho, spot on. And it was a relief, too to face a simpler and smooth approach. Total hit points? Didn't miss them. Weapon/SIZ SR? Didn't miss them either. The skill balance and selection seems pretty good, too, though that's only something which will be seen in time. Hero points I like, too (see other games, of course) and I can see players saving up for some of teh Legendary abilities.

The actions/reactions can get to be a real killer once ganging up on someone. I think I'm not going to insist on 5 seconds as each round is really full and potentially lethal - maybe a 10 or 12-second round could have been easily stuck to accepting slightly slower player movement.

The core rulebook has everything you really need, I think, and is going to last.

Halfbat said:
I really enjoyed it. It felt much more like RQ1/2 rather than 3, and the simplification approach is, imho, spot on. And it was a relief, too to face a simpler and smooth approach. Total hit points? Didn't miss them. Weapon/SIZ SR? Didn't miss them either. The skill balance and selection seems pretty good, too, though that's only something which will be seen in time. Hero points I like, too (see other games, of course) and I can see players saving up for some of teh Legendary abilities.

The actions/reactions can get to be a real killer once ganging up on someone. I think I'm not going to insist on 5 seconds as each round is really full and potentially lethal - maybe a 10 or 12-second round could have been easily stuck to accepting slightly slower player movement.

The core rulebook has everything you really need, I think, and is going to last.

Thank you very much for your report. I am looking forward to MRQ.

Hafbat,

Could you clue us in on how some of these changes work-like the damage system, new SR system, and Hero Points?

Indeed, more detail please.

How do things work without total hitpoints? What happens when a location hit's 0 HP, or goes below that?

How do the resistances work? How easy is it to effect an average target with magic? Aren't the basic values for skills terribly, terribly low?

Halfbat said:

Hmm, sounds a lot like Usagi Yojimbo. Does MRQ have a counterattack reaction? One thing I like about UY is that while each character only get's one action and reaction, there are circumstances that can lead to a character getting multiple strikes off in one round. Throw together a half dozen characters with focus, various weapons, fighting styles, gifts, and it gets wild.

That would be cool for RQ.

Hi guys. Just a few answers but I'm wary about saying too much until I've seen the OGL.

Actions: Each character gets a number of actions and reactions based on DEX, as can be seen from the extacts I think. Characters cycle round actions based on rolled sequence for the combat (e.g. dice + SR), using up actions as they go and using up reactions in response to opponents' actions.

Riposte: included as reactions on some failed attacks. I reckon only very confident and hi-DEX characters will regularly advantage of this as I think reactions are going to be hoarded like gold dust.

Damage: The impact of damage is pretty much like previous RQ except that everything is skill-based: no CON rolls, just Resilience rolls to avoid death and unconsciousness, for example. >-ve HP in each location are as potentially catastrophic as RQ1-3 and 0 to -ve is also similar, but simplified. In short, it's the accumulation of damage in each location which brings you down and not an array of minor cuts. First Aid skills are still vital and as short term and long term care are now split skills, my own house mods are dropped... :)

Crits/Impales/fumbles are all simplified (no massive Fumble tables, which I'm relieved to see, but I know some people like them for fun factor if nothing else).

Hero points are gained for heroic actions - as in other games. they can be spent to change things slightly (as in Conan) but can be accumulated to buy Legendary Abilities, such as Rune Lord status.

The way Runes have to be 'integrated' to learn Rune Magic (the old Battle Magic) mean that GMs can tailor their availability to match their own high magic/low magic preferences. Integrating Runes give its own bonuses immediately, irrespective of spells.

In short, wherever there was a complex edge in the rules, it's been sanded down and simplified. As a result the system is smooth, easier to use but still gritty, with less awkward mods and ifs and buts to worry about. The more I read it and go through it, the more I like this version, certainly a gadzillion times more than RQ3... but then I prefer simpler systems with the complexity coming from the role-playing (despite being a d20 Herald-level GM!).

H

Halfbat said:
Damage: The impact of damage is pretty much like previous RQ except that everything is skill-based: no CON rolls, just Resilience rolls to avoid death and unconsciousness, for example. >-ve HP in each location are as potentially catastrophic as RQ1-3 and 0 to -ve is also similar, but simplified.

Are there levels of damage like being lightly or seriously wounded and modifiers for these levels? Previously in RQ characters could act like nothing had happened as long as the damage didn't reduce hit points to 2 or 1 or lower.

Mikko Leho said:
Are there levels of damage like being lightly or seriously wounded and modifiers for these levels? Previously in RQ characters could act like nothing had happened as long as the damage didn't reduce hit points to 2 or 1 or lower.

I take you mean unless a hit location was reduced to 0. I mean, not being able to stand, hold a weapon, or remain conscious usually put a crimp on most characters' style.

atgxtg said:
I take you mean unless a hit location was reduced to 0. I mean, not being able to stand, hold a weapon, or remain conscious usually put a crimp on most characters' style.

That too. What I meant was some sort of a scale, which indicates how well the character is. Player gets negative modifiers according to how badly wounded his or hers character is. A number of roleplaying games like Shadowrun and Cyberpunk has implemented this since RQ.

Mikko Leho said:
That too. What I meant was some sort of a scale, which indicates how well the character is. Player gets negative modifiers according to how badly wounded his or hers character is. A number of roleplaying games like Shadowrun and Cyberpunk has implemented this since RQ.

Cool. For a momenet I wasn't sure if you were referring to RQ with hit locations or one of the other BRP products that use general hit points, something with a major wound system.

I agree with you though. Some sort of imparement/peanlty for being banged up makes sense to me. I'd even like some sort of resiliance test to avoid stun/shock due to pain when someone get's hit. A 2 or 3-point wound might not be enough to incapacitate a location, but it could be enough to make someone fliinch or drop his weapon.

Something like that is mentioned at the rune sheet preview:

Death An opponent suffering a Major or Serious Injury inflicted by the Rune Touched’s close combat attack suffers a –10% penalty to Resilience tests to stay conscious or avoid death.

Just what are Major or Serious Injury, how they are inflicted and what effects they have is not clear yet.

Mikko Leho said:
Something like that is mentioned at the rune sheet preview:

Death An opponent suffering a Major or Serious Injury inflicted by the Rune Touched’s close combat attack suffers a –10% penalty to Resilience tests to stay conscious or avoid death.

Just what are Major or Serious Injury, how they are inflicted and what effects they have is not clear yet.
If I might be so bold as to guess, something like >= location HP is serious, >= 2 x location HP is major (or should that be the other way round?) sounds kinda right and RQey.

Hmm, wonder if I did get this right or not.

Do you mean that you keep track of the number of points of accumulated damage you have (basically adding all damage togheter) in order to check to see if you remain unconscious or die? or do you only reduce HPs in hitpoints and use them to determine when to roll for unconsciousness/death?

(the mere fact that you are to make a die roll to see if you get unconscious or death makes me want to run away and dont look back at the system, because I have seriously bad experiences of systems with such mechanics in the past)

Mikko Leho said:

Yes indeed. I put together a RQ/Hârnmaster/ Warhammer hybrid system for our classic Warhammer RPG game (I'm not the GM). We have locational HP (like in RQ). For every location that has been hurt, the character takes a -5% penalty, for a location that has been reduced to 0hp, the penalty is -10% (when hitting 0, there are also critical results) These penalties apply to all rolls.

Something like that -5% per wounded location would be nice to see.

Archer said:
(the mere fact that you are to make a die roll to see if you get unconscious or death makes me want to run away and dont look back at the system, because I have seriously bad experiences of systems with such mechanics in the past)

How strange. I have exactly the opposite experiences. Systems that don't let the player make a shock roll, survival roll, or something like that feel really cold and unsatisfying.

The human body is a complex machine, and it's very realistic (and dramatic!) that the player get's to roll dice to see if the blow to the head knocked her character out or not. It represents the "grit your teeth and fight through the pain" theme wonderfully.

Adept said:
Archer said:

How strange. I have exactly the opposite experiences. Systems that don't let the player make a shock roll, survival roll, or something like that feel really cold and unsatisfying.

Well, it is more about the fact that you have to make a Chock/Trauma/Resistence roll each time you take damage, which slows down the game, that I am opposed too.

Adept said:
The human body is a complex machine, and it's very realistic (and dramatic!) that the player get's to roll dice to see if the blow to the head knocked her character out or not. It represents the "grit your teeth and fight through the pain" theme wonderfully.

Well, I prefer that to be handled without dice rolls. For example, using precalculated thresholds that tell you when you go unconscious, or die, based on Con for example.

Something like this;
Con 14
Unconscious; Damage > 7 (1/2 Con)
Dead; Damage > 14 (Full con)

Note that the example above is just to show the basic idea, the exact values for the thresholds could be something else.

It is much faster to just compare a value with another value, than to roll dice to determine the outcome.

It seems that since it first began to be introduced into RPGs, a Damage resistance roll of some kind seems to be compulsatory, it must be in there or the game is not realistic enough. Seems not many game designers take time to realize that the same thing can be achieved with a mechanic that is much faster and simpler to use in game (such as comparing damage to a precalculated treshold).

Sadly, it is just precisely this fact that means that many games (including Shadowrun, Star Wars d6, Eon, Wizards, etc.) just sits in my shelf, without ever being played, while games like Stormbringer are being played time and again.

It might be faster and simplier, but that doesn't make it more accurate, realsitic or better.

THat is why I tend to like game with some sort of trauma/shock roll too. I don't find that it slows the game down, more that it speeds it up, since people will drop earlier in the fight from a failed resistance roll.

In the real world that major cause of why people drop when they get his is actually more pychological than physical. Unless you get one of those instantly disabling hits (rather rare) what drops the person is how well he responds to the idea that he's just been hit.

Back