Occult Rolls

GreyLord

Mongoose
On Occult roles for the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, what modifies it. I know if you have a tier 3 spell (+15) you'd have a 25 DC, which of course is impossible to roll (unless you happen to roll a 20, which is unlikely).

Is it modified by level and the Int. Modifier? Could someone list the page in the Lone Wolf RPG where I could find this clarification. It would make a lot more sense if this were so...but on my first perusal I haven't been able to find clarification of the modifiers to make casting spells easier.

Occult is a class skill for the Brotherhood mages. It's influenced by the spellcaster's Int modifier. You can find the details on page 97-98 of the main rulebook.

Hope this helps. :)

To every skill check you add the rank of the skill (max. 4 at first level) and the ability modifier (the Int mod in case of the Occult skill). That makes casting tier 3 (or even tier 2) spells still very difficult, but at 1st level a lot of things are very difficult.

GreyLord said:
On Occult roles for the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, what modifies it. I know if you have a tier 3 spell (+15) you'd have a 25 DC, which of course is impossible to roll (unless you happen to roll a 20, which is unlikely).

Is it modified by level and the Int. Modifier? Could someone list the page in the Lone Wolf RPG where I could find this clarification. It would make a lot more sense if this were so...but on my first perusal I haven't been able to find clarification of the modifiers to make casting spells easier.

An occult roll is a skill check like any other in a D20 game. A DC 25 roll is certainly possible for 1st level character, if difficult. For starters, you add your Intellegence modifier which, in a normal character, could add up to +4 (from 18-19 Int. -this is why it is good to have high Int in Brotherhood characters) Then, you add your ranks in the skill. At first level, you can have 4 ranks in a class skill, so another +4 is given.

I.e. Your occult roll would be 4 (Int) + 4 (Ranks)= +8 Total.
So, you need a roll of 17 or more to cast that tier 3 spell (17+4+4)= 25

Naturally, its still hard! But then, those tier 3 effects are pretty damn powerful, so its understandable that 1st level characters should have difficulty. As you go up in level and get more points in Occult, everything gets easier. (And the occult roll dissapears on the appropriate brotherhood spell when you master its word of power)

Also at 2nd level if you had put maximum skill points into knowledge arcana you could have a rank of 5 allowing for a +2 synergy bonus to your occult roll this helps as well.

Back