Obvious (but required) drone clarification please...

Hello all,

A friend in my group has an interpretation of the seeking rule that goes like this:

As we all know:

"With the damage spread around the entire target ship, no rolls are made to see if the weapon penetrates Shields."

- which my friend interprets as meaning:

Seeking weapons (in our games so far, drones,) ignore shields, and apply their damage directly to the target's Damage Rating.

I am of the opinion that drones apply ALL their damage to shields, (no roll to penetrate) and only attack the Damage Rating if the shields are reduced to 0, or are down for some other reason (using Transporters, for example.)

Which of us is correct?

Thanks all!

Little Soldiers said:
I am of the opinion that drones apply ALL their damage to shields, (no roll to penetrate) and only attack the Damage Rating if the shields are reduced to 0, or are down for some other reason (using Transporters, for example.)

Which of us is correct?

Thanks all!

You are correct. Drones do not autopenetrate shields. They don't even get to try to penetrate it.

Drones would be broken beyond ridiculousness indeed if it was straight to the hull!

This is one of those odd wordings that cause such problems. The whole wrap around the shields thing is fluff.

Drones and Plasma's DO NOT roll to hit and therefore do not penetrate shields on a 6. Drones fired over half range roll to retain lock on over the distance, this is NOT a roll to hit and long range Drones that may happen to roll a 6 DO NOT penetrate shields.

Drones and Plasma's roll a D6 for damage per attack dice they have and this damage is applied to shields and then to hull after the shields are down.

Its Matt's fault for being too fluffy :lol: :wink:

Don't feel bad; my first few games I thought drones bypassed shields as well. That made it a very high priority to shoot down enemy drones. In fact, since we were using small Fed v. Kling fleets, what it really meant is that whoever went first got to force his opponent to use his drones in defense, hopefully opening the ship up for later waves of drones.

Having played both ways, I very much prefer the official ruling that drones always impact shields (if there are any left).

Back