NPC sheet: Hyborian Barbarian

Shonuff

Mongoose
A player in my game is waiting on his book and is going to start the game playing a 3rd level barbarian. He is using the data from the NPC sheets for the Hyborian barbarian.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is providing the DR of 2? (and a penalty of -1?)
2. Where are the 4 skill points spent for 2nd level? (I count only 2)
3. Just to confirm, how about for level 3?

Just wondered if I'm missing something.
Thanks in advance :)

1. Armour provides the DR.
2. Some skills went down because of the addition of armour, which applies a skill penalty.
3. Climb, Spot and Survival. The 8 Intelligence causes the loss of one skill point.

Thank you for the response, but I'm still a little unclear.

1. What armor provides the DR of 2? -- The lowest I see is DR 4 for a Leather Jerkin. Could this be damaged perhaps?

I thought he might be wearing a great helm, but then the AC penalties would only be applied to spot and listen checks.

Now-

2. Since the Hyborian barbarian has an INT of 10, he should not receive a penalty on skill points . He should get 4.

I think I've got this now:
- Level 2: I guess 2 were placed into Jump and 2 into Swim? The armor penalty of -1 would bring the totals down from 6 levels to match the level 5 printed.
- Level 3: 1 point placed in Climb, Listen, Spot, and Survival.

Correct?

Still unsure of the DR2 armor though.

Correct. (I was looking at the Cimmerian Barbarian sheet a bit ago).

The armour is damaged; presumed to have been picked up on the battlefield from a slain opponent. If you'd rather it be a great helm or better armour, make the appropriate adjustments to the stats.

Not to be picky, but isn't Hyborian Barbarian an oxymoron? I seem to recall REH making a distinction between barbarians and Hyborians. :?:

VincentDarlage said:
1. Armour provides the DR.
2. Some skills went down because of the addition of armour, which applies a skill penalty.
3. Climb, Spot and Survival. The 8 Intelligence causes the loss of one skill point.

Hello Vincent, as there's no notes about what Armor/Helmets are worn, would it be possible to either add ACP (Armor Check Penalty) to the sheets, or remove it from the NPCs' skill levels. Otherwise it makes it kind of difficult to modify the NPCs. (I'm not sure what native format you have these in, and it might mean an awful lot of work for you, but I'd really appreciate it.)

TTFN,

Yokiboy

As is very evident from REH's writings, Hyborians were barbarians when they came sweeping out of the north to found Aquilonia, Nemedia and the other Hyborian nations. Also, Howard also believed that peoples were capable of regressing - which might be the case of some back-woods Hyborians. If some of the original Hyborian clans did not settle in cities, they may retain their barbaric heritage still.

Also, one could have a Hyborian raised by Picts (kidnapped as a child or something) or other barbarian tribe...

Back