Now with more ships to choose from...

Abraxas

Mongoose
Well, with the abolishment of the dreaded (and restrictive) "tourney list" I want to know some things about the varients of Centauri ships.

There are some obvious choices... Prefect, Teritius, etc., but my questions are about the other varients that some people don't even mention.

My first question is about the Magnus. Give up some matter cannon strength and 4 damage/crew boxes for speed and a mid-ranged battle laser? This sounds like an obvious choice over the original. Same PL. Same Hull score. Same number of fighters... So why don't people use it?

My next question? The Vorchat. Lose speed and the plasma accelerator for a short ranged (4 AD!) battle laser, a flight of fighters, one more troop and twin arrays in all directions. No change in PL. Same Hull score. Same damage/crew scores. Again, I see this as a clear victor over the original design, so why do people not use it?

Well, those are the ships *I* have questions about. People can add their own about their particular variants... but can anyone answer *MY* questions?

Thanks.

both captain kremman and myself had vorchats in the last tourney, altho mine only got to fire once in 4 games due to being a target early on.

katadder said:
both captain kremman and myself had vorchats in the last tourney, altho mine only got to fire once in 4 games due to being a target early on.

Would "hiding" a vorchat among some other Vorchans be a reasonable tactic? In large games it would make people pay attention to flanking units, possibly giving time for heavier war ships to move into range...

And the Magnus really seems like it can operate independently, almost a flagship to smaller PL fleets...

if you really want to hide your vorchat in vorchans then sure, altho the vorchans have more speed and longer range. if i use multiple vorchans they are all used as vorchats for me, slightly slower but all round firepower and a fighter squadron.

Well, the problem with the Magnus is that there are so many better Raid level choices then it. I would take the Sullust, Prefect, and likely the Dargan and Centurian over it. They provide much more flexiblity and long range firepower than the Magnus.

Dave

Davesaint said:
Well, the problem with the Magnus is that there are so many better Raid level choices then it. I would take the Sullust, Prefect, and likely the Dargan and Centurian over it. They provide much more flexiblity and long range firepower than the Magnus.

Dave
That's it. The Magnus is a great variant of the Altarin. There's still no reason to take it though with the rest of the Centauri list as it is :(

I don't agree. If you discount the infamous Prefect, the Magnus is the most survivable raid ship for the Centauri and packs a similar armament to the Centurion and Dargan. In competition with these it has better hull and fighters than the Centurion and better hull than the Dargan. I think it has its uses, but it's probably a matter of personal preference.

Abraxas said:
My first question is about the Magnus. Give up some matter cannon strength and 4 damage/crew boxes for speed and a mid-ranged battle laser? This sounds like an obvious choice over the original. Same PL. Same Hull score. Same number of fighters... So why don't people use it?

My next question? The Vorchat. Lose speed and the plasma accelerator for a short ranged (4 AD!) battle laser, a flight of fighters, one more troop and twin arrays in all directions. No change in PL. Same Hull score. Same damage/crew scores. Again, I see this as a clear victor over the original design, so why do people not use it?

The Magnus is quite a good ship but I'd still most likely pick a Prefect or Sulust for beam fire

The Vorchat is slower than the Vorchan IIRC and the shorter range does hurt from experience!

emperorpenguin said:
Abraxas said:
The Vorchat. Lose speed and the plasma accelerator for a short ranged (4 AD!) battle laser, .

No it's still a plasma accelerator :lol: finally corrected in Armageddon IIRC

Figures :roll: .

Lord David the Denied said:
I don't agree. If you discount the infamous Prefect, the Magnus is the most survivable raid ship for the Centauri and packs a similar armament to the Centurion and Dargan. In competition with these it has better hull and fighters than the Centurion and better hull than the Dargan. I think it has its uses, but it's probably a matter of personal preference.

I have to agree with you. Granted, I have never used it yet... but I plan to soon... possibly.

I just see it as more rounded. It can handle big and small threats and has no "blind spots".

emperorpenguin said:
The Magnus is quite a good ship but I'd still most likely pick a Prefect or Sulust for beam fire

I don't like the Prefect; probably cause everyone else does and I (myself) think it is a bit cheesey. The Sulust is a one trick pony (as has been said multiple times). The Magnus I see a forminable warship, not a seige weapon.

I prefer the Magnus over the Prefect
1 No weak points
2 Has a fighter play alot vs EA
3 I Hate the Centurion model, reminds me of old style romulan ship.
4 Refer to 3

Tourney Demos was usable just.
Depending wether people can hit you at range (missles) whether you take a Vorchat over Vorchan. Against narn i take vorchans. Speed past those Ka Toc's then get as they try to bring their weapons about. Both miss SAP from the original, AP doesn't quite cut it for Fwd arc only ship.

The problem I had with the Demos wasnt that it was a bad ship per se but rather that for your points I would nearly ALWAYS recommend 2 Vorchans over one now if your playing at battle where youre effectively getting one 2 Demos instead of 3 Vorchans then thats maybe a different story but at Raid and below I wouldnt touch them

Back