Noob question: adventure conversion

newtraveller

Mongoose
What changes would I need to make in order to run older adventures like: Twilight's Peak, Trillion Credit Squadron, Expedition To Zhodane, etc.?

newtraveller said:
What changes would I need to make in order to run older adventures like: Twilight's Peak, Trillion Credit Squadron, Expedition To Zhodane, etc.?

convert armor and weapon stats, and be aware that a few skills are different width of scope between CT and MGT. Possibly, if one is a task-system-nazi, convert some stat tests from the CT explicit-in-the-adventure-but-unique to MGT tasks.

Trillion Credits Squadron would probably work more or less out of the box, though budgets would possibly work a bit differently (I don't know how different prices are from CT-HG to MGT TMB).

Golan2072 said:
Trillion Credits Squadron would probably work more or less out of the box, though budgets would possibly work a bit differently (I don't know how different prices are from CT-HG to MGT TMB).
Isn't Mongoose TMB ship design only rated to 2000 dtons? So we'll have to wait for High Guard to come out before TCS becomes convertible.

That said, I'm using the Islands Cluster in my current game. :)

Oops, I've been quite groggy this morning when I posted this... Still, nothing stops you from building a squadron of ships of 2,000 tons or less, and once HG comes out you could build M-HG ships using the CT-TCS rules.

Ok, I've been converting "Divine Intervention" and "Signal GK"... this is my conversion process:

1: Leave all stats as they are.
2: Skills-these need some work.
-- Background skills have to be assigned.
-- Converting existing skills. So SMG = Gun Combat (pistol). I also look at the total skill levels and compare to their terms of service/rank and see if they should have some more, including the Zero level skills from basic training.
3: Equipment. As the MGT books come out we will have more items to select from. I've been replacing the SMG with the Autopistol.

CT modules reflect task difficulty by changing the throw (10+ for difficult instead of 8+ with a -2 DM). So you just need to convert by subtracting 8 and then the difference shows you the difficulty level.

It also has things like "and grant a +1 DM for every 2 levels in {insert skill here}" which is not how MGT works. I just ignore this and follow the MGT rules.

One thing I that initially didn't occur to me is the difference in technology between the late 1970's and today. In 'Divine Intervention' many groups were looking for computer terminals on every desk, and for them to all be networked together. I was fortunate that in this adventure, the planet is kept at TL 6 by the theocracy that runs the planet and only the Imperial starport and the theocracy's floating HQ had anything higher so I could explain the lack of computers as "who are they going to talk to or email?"

The point is you have to think about this difference and update where necessary.

newtraveller said:

Well, technically Trillion Credit Squadron is a separate game based off of High Guard and not an adventure....

Though you probably could run a great campaign using the Billion Credit squadron section within the TCS book, and the Core rule books construction system.

ParanoidGamer said:
Ok, I've been converting "Divine Intervention" and "Signal GK"....

I wonder if it would be OK to release a conversion for classic adventures that only has the converted crunch, so ownership of the original is still needed.
EG: p.23 Task throw for Computer Access, MGT version: 8+, Diificult, Computer

Powers that be, enlighten... :)

Emryys said:
ParanoidGamer said:
Ok, I've been converting "Divine Intervention" and "Signal GK"....

I wonder if it would be OK to release a conversion for classic adventures that only has the converted crunch, so ownership of the original is still needed.
EG: p.23 Task throw for Computer Access, MGT version: 8+, Diificult, Computer

Powers that be, enlighten... :)
mmm yes, I'd like to see that be approved and would be happy to post what I've got for people to use.

I've seen this done for many old D&D and AD&D modules to bring them up to 3 or 3.5 standard. To see the same treatment for the old Traveller adventures would be great.

Back