Noble Armada: Why no R section on ships?

Bellicose

Mongoose
It occurred to me that with all of the fluff in Noble Armada, there is really no equivalent of an R section that gives a background of the ships.

The answer may perhaps depend on the kind of information which Holistic Design included in their own editions of Noble Armada; or perhaps on what, if any, information FASA 2.0 might use/create should they ever go ahead with the prospect of launching a new version of the original NA game engine.

(From what I gather, the original Noble Armada game engine is closer to SFB or FC in terms of granularity, which would place a re-launched NA along a similar place on the spectrum that ADB's games occupy relative to A Call to Arms: Star Fleet.)

The original Noble armada had hit locations (You basically could shoot out every gun) and used some more of Newtons rules in an easy an elegant way. Also the boarding parties actually moved around in the ships.

Also you notice some of the background stuff being written for not-ACTA rules if you read the Mongoose edition carefully ;-)

derwendigo said:
Also the boarding parties actually moved around in the ships.

The first draft of our rules featured this too, but it took _way_ too long in comparison with the rest of the turn!

Nerroth, what is this that you speak of? Is there serious talk about launching another version of Noble Armada? Or is it a rewrite of ACTA: NA? I am still waiting for the League an Imperial fleets, which we were told were coming out.

The Fading Suns/Noble Armada universe was created by Holistic Design, who retain the rights to the setting's IP. Originally, Holistic published the early editions of the Fading Suns RPG themselves, as well as the first incarnations of Noble Armada (which used a different game engine than A Call to Arms, and was perhaps closer to SFB or FC in terms of scale - as noted above, it even had diagrams for various ships, allowing for more in-depth boarding actions).

Nowadays, Holistic have an agreement with Mongoose which allows A Call to Arms: Noble Armada to exist, and a separate licence with RedBrick (which was passed on to FASA Games when the former was folded to make way for the latter) covering the ongoing development of the Fading Suns RPG.

(I just noticed that FASA Games have posted a new Jumpweb map, showing the area covered by the various sub-factions of the Phoenix Empire. Other jumpweb maps show the full extent of Kurgan, Vuldrok, and Vau space; the border systems on this map only show how those farther regions intersect with Alexius Hawkwood's domain.)

There had been talk about FASA 2.0 doing their own version of the original Noble Armada game engine, but not much has come of it as of yet. But even if it were to happen, I would imagine the intent would be to complement, rather than compete with, ACtA:NA.

But there may be someone over on the FASA Games forums who would be in a more informed position to speak on this concept, such as it is at this point.

Both games are great at what they attempt mind you. We still use the Holistic Noble Armada for space battles during the Fadings Suns RPG sessions, as it details the damage of the PC ship in greater detail and allows the use of the PCs stats without conversion, but if you just want to fight battles, or even a campaign of space conquest, ACTA:NA is the way to go.

Back