News on A Call to Arms: Star Fleet!

Jean said:
I'd like to see "What if" ships..?
- - -
SVC: You have to convince me that they will sell. Consider that it costs at least $100 and maybe $300 or more to get any given ship to market. Hey, maybe we'll have a deal where you sponsor your favorite ship by paying that cost?
===

How about a 2500 kickstarter? It would pay for design and tooling of a large number of ships, and would cover the costs of it through direct sales to customers without middlemen, allowing a cheaper price for customers while giving ADB more profit per model.

You could conceivably kickstart a full colour ACTA 2 rulebook to cover the costs for a print run of that.

They'd both need careful planning though.

scoutdad said:
But if you like to have [rulebooks] ring-bound, spiral-bound, coil-bound, or added to a 3-ring binder - you'll love ADB's choices.

When you order a rulebook from them, you can get it how you want it: bound and unpunched; bound and 3-hole punched; unbound and unpunched (which is what I get and then have Kinkos spiral-bind it for me); or unbound and 3-hole punched.
It also allows for a problem that I'm not sure ADB is aware of -- or maybe they are, but consider that they've dealt with it -- namely that, AFAIK, outside North America, 3-ring binders are very hard (I would've said almost impossible) to find! 2 rings, yes; 4 rings, no problem; 3 rings... don't hold your breath. ADB has supplied them in the past as part of rules revamps, but I don't know if they do so these days.

So unbound and unpunched are better for the Brits and Aussies, at least, because we can either punch them ourselves or get someone to do it for us.

Ben2 said:
Jean said:
I'd like to see "What if" ships..?
- - -
SVC: You have to convince me that they will sell. Consider that it costs at least $100 and maybe $300 or more to get any given ship to market. Hey, maybe we'll have a deal where you sponsor your favorite ship by paying that cost?
===

How about a 2500 kickstarter? It would pay for design and tooling of a large number of ships, and would cover the costs of it through direct sales to customers without middlemen, allowing a cheaper price for customers while giving ADB more profit per model.

You could conceivably kickstart a full colour ACTA 2 rulebook to cover the costs for a print run of that.

They'd both need careful planning though.
I think Steve Cole talked a bit about kickstarters on the BBS, doesnt like that kistarter itself would get a chunk of the money, making prices a bit higher than they would normally be as the end result for consumers. He did talk about the possibility of a kickstarter-like thing only run directly through ADB without a third party like kickstarter, because a direct up-front payment influx of cash can be a good way to get production done faster instead of a slower production process for the longterm possible payoff of sales over time.

Steve Cole wrote: This week's work on the joint venture:

Monday 25th
2500: Got a bunch of info from Matthew on 2500s.
Jean working on Traveller.
ACTASF turn mode discussion.

Tuesday 26th
2500: Staff meeting created the 2425 brand for ships that work in both scales (freighters, APT, PT/FT, bases, shuttles, drones, monster, plasmas). The 2500 MB will be dropped (use the 2425) because it looks just like the 2400 (now 2425) and is designed for resin, which we are eliminating.
TPD: Jean is working on it.
ACTASF: Tony is working on it.

Wednesday 27th
2500: Posted master status list of ships in progress. Decided to do the Mongoose 2500 Battlestation over because it was done for resin and won't work in metal.
TPD: Mike W and Jean were discussing Chapter 5.
ACTASF: discussions of fast ships and x-ships and special orders for power drain actions.

Thursday 28th
2500: Discussions of big starbases including a note from Bill Stec about a company that makes something of that size and a note from Will McCammon about doing our own on Shapeways.
ACTASF: Somebody reminded me that the term is special actions not special orders.
TPD: Jean was working with Matthew on Rigellian height.

Friday 29th
2500: Mongoose says they have ended 2500 sales and replacements.
TPD: Jean and Matthew discussed what "homeworld" means.
ACTASF: Tony was developing new rules.

One thing that leapt out from SVC's replies there....

His comment of making sensor dishes and selling them for scouts rather than making whole models. I do not know if that was meant to be a throwaway idea or not but it seems ot have some merit.

Is there a set of standard conversion items that could go in one mould to sell - phaser blisters, panels (to cover weapons), sensor dishes, pods and on that could be sold as a 'variant hull conversion kit). Make it cheap enough and having a number of bits in and it may sell to a number of people and if there's more bits than any one person needs, well if its cheap enough then they may just get the 'bits box' for future conversion works?

DOes that have any commercial merit?

ADB already sells a 4 Sensor Dish Spur as a extra for the 2400 to make scout conversions so yes there is evidence to support it will sell.

Tarkas said:
So unbound and unpunched are better for the Brits and Aussies, at least, because we can either punch them ourselves or get someone to do it for us.
The rule books and supplements from ADB are available in this format (loose leaf, unpunched), too.

Jean said:
The 2500 MB will be dropped (use the 2425) because it looks just like the 2400 (now 2425) and is designed for resin, which we are eliminating.
I would dispute this, as the 2500 model prototype shown by Mongoose (like every other 2500 model) has significant surface detail that the 2400 model lacks. I'll admit the issue with the resin is a fair concern given the issues with the material in the initial run of 2500 miniatures, though.

While I can understand the decision from a buisness point of view, I still wish ADB would produce new 2500 bases at a larger scale than the old 2400. I realize that its impossible to do them in-scale with the either the 2500 or even the 2400 ships, but I have to agree with some of the other comments that it just looks bad when the bases are smaller than the ships. I'd gladly pay more for a base than the average ship price, if it was actually bigger. :(

STARLINE MASTER STATUS REPORT: 2 December 2013
This lists only ships which are in the production pipeline. Any ship not listed here is a possible idea for future production.
================================
SHIPS ENTERING OR IN PRODUCTION
=
2500 GENERIC Free/Prime Trader and Armed Transport/Cutter. (missing Book One ship): CGI, prototype, master, production mold all done by Mongoose pre-contract change. Now in production and on sale. Will be moved to the 2425 category and sold as the Prime Trader since it is the same size as the 2400 Free Trader, which will also be moved to 2425. Entry will be deleted in a later update.
=
2425 SHUTTLES: The existing 2400 (ADB) and 2500 (Mongoose) shuttles will both remain in production and will be listed as 2425s. Players may use either or both at their option. Entry will be deleted in a later update.
=
PRODUCTION MOLDS ORDERED: Expect production to begin in two or three weeks.
=
2500 Kzinti Dreadnought in metal, ordered 28 November 2013.
=
MASTERS BEING REVIEWED: Expect about two weeks before production molds can be ordered.
=
2500 THOLIAN CA (missing Book One ship): CGI, prototype, master all done by Mongoose pre-contract change. Problem is that some phasers on the CGI disappeared on the prototype. On 27 Nov, we asked Bruce to send masters to Tony Thomas so he could add the phasers and do the clean-up.
=
2500 THOLIAN DD (missing Book One ship): CGI, prototype, master all done by Mongoose pre-contract change. Problem is that some phasers on the CGI disappeared on the prototype. On 27 Nov, we asked Bruce to send masters to Tony Thomas so he could add the phasers and do the clean-up.
=
2500 THOLIAN PC (missing Book One ship): CGI, prototype, master all done by Mongoose pre-contract change. Master requires the standard clean and fill work which Bruce Graw can do. On 27 Nov, we asked Bruce to send masters to Tony Thomas so he could add the phasers and do the clean-up.
=
SHIPS SENT TO MASTER MOLDS
None as of this report.
PROTOTYPES OF NEW SHIPS UNDER REVIEW
None as of this report.
PROTOTYPES OF NEW SHIPS ORDERED: Expect two to four weeks for delivery.
=
2500 KLINGON B10 Battleship: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. 30 Nov 2013 confirmed that the last set of corrections was made and ordered prototypes to be made. NEW SHIP ORDER #2
=
2500 KZINTI NCA: the one in production is missing two phasers and therefore defective. Reported to Mongoose several times. 30 Nov 2013 issued CORRECTED SHIP ORDER #101 to fix this.
=
PRODUCTION NOTES
=
2425 SERIES: We have decided to designate the non-scale generic units (bases, freighters, auxiliaries, monsters, shuttles, fighters, seeking weapons) from both 2400 and 2500 as the unified 2425 series which will be used for both scales. The future PFs will be 2425s. We may decide that some of the really minor empires (e.g., Vudar, Seltorian, Andros, any new empires) can just be designated 2425 as their low sales do not justify re-doing them in 1/3135 scale. Note that all of these either have 2500-level detail or the actual space vehicle has no real details so the miniature won't either.
=
2500 GENERIC Small Freighter (one pod) (missing Book One ship): CGI, prototype, master all done by Mongoose pre-contract change. Engine struts defective. Design discarded as it is identical to the 2400 Small Freighter. The 2400 will be redesignated 2425 and used for both scales. Therefore, it is no longer missing. Entry to be deleted in a future update.
=
2500 MOBILE BASE (missing Book One unit): CGI and prototype were done by Mongoose pre-contract change, but the resulting resin mini is not workable and was discarded. The existing 2400 Mobile Base will be designated 2425 and used for both scales. Therefore, it is no longer missing. Entry to be deleted in a future update.
=
EXISTING RESIN SHIPS DISCONTINUED; SCHEDULED FOR LATER CONVERSION TO METAL
Klingon C8 Dreadnought: Status pending.
=
Romulan Condor dreadnought: status pending
=
NEW CGIs IN PROCESS
=
2400 KLINGON HF5 heavy war destroyer: CGI ordered from Seattle Shipyard 14 Nov 2013. This will be a CGI ship done with high detail and will be produced in both scales. The design will be close to the 2500.
=
2400 FEDERATION new fancy ship #1: Mongoose told to start CGI work on 26 November 2013
=
2400 KLINGON new fancy ship #1: Mongoose told to start CGI work on 26 November 2013
=
2400 ROMULAN SabreHawk heavy war destroyer: CGI ordered from Seattle Shipyard 14 Nov 2013. This will be a CGI ship done with high detail and will be produced in both scales. The design will be close to the 2500.
=
2425 JUMBO FREIGHTER (three pod): CGI ordered from Seattle Shipyard 16 Nov 2013. It will be produced for the 2425 series and used for both scales.
=
2500 BATTLE STATION WITH AUGMENTS (missing Book One unit): CGI and prototype were done by Mongoose pre-contract change, but the resulting resin mini is not workable and was discarded. The CGI will be rescaled to match the other 2425s and produced as the augmented battle station as part of the relaunch.
=
2500 GENERIC Heavy Freighter (four pod) (missing Book One ship): CGI and prototype were done by Mongoose pre-contract change, but were destroyed in a failed attempt to make a master. (The engine struts were defective anyway.) This must be re-CGIed to fix the engines, the re-prototyped to replace the destroyed prototype.
=
2500 GENERIC Large Freighter (two pod) (missing Book One ship): CGI, prototype, master all done by Mongoose pre-contract change. Engine struts defective. Design set aside and may be done sometime for 2425 as it is the same size as the 2400 Generic Large Freighter. For the time being, it is no longer missing.
=
2500 KLINGON D17: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. The problem is that the FX/RX phasers don't work and cannot be made to work, so we're going to set this aside and someday use the really nice design for a totally different ship.
=
2500 KLINGON HF5 heavy war destroyer: see 2400 listing.
=
2500 LYRAN Dreadnought: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Wanted for the relaunch.
=
2500 LYRAN Heavy Cruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Wanted for the relaunch.
=
2500 LYRAN Light Cruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending.
=
2500 ORION Battle Raider: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. 30 Nov, determined that the last email on 8 Jan 2013 cited an error in the sensor grid; told Mongoose to fix it as NEW SHIP #1.
=
2500 ORION Battlecruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Mongoose asked on 29 Nov to modify the wings and resubmit the graphics. Medium priority.
=
2500 ORION dreadnought: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Mongoose asked on 29 Nov to modify the wings and resubmit the graphics. Medium priority.
=
2500 ORION heavy battlecruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Mongoose asked on 29 Nov to modify the wings and resubmit the graphics. Medium priority.
=
2500 ORION Heavy Cruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Mongoose asked on 29 Nov to modify the wings and resubmit the graphics. Medium priority.
=
2500 ORION Slaver: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Medium priority.
=
2500 ORION war destroyer: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. High priority.
=
2500 ROMULAN SaberHawk heavy war destroyer: see 2400 listing.
=
2500 ROMULAN Vulture: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Lower priority.
=
2500 Federation Secret Ship #1: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Unknown priority.
=
2500 THOLIAN DN: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. medium priority.
=
2500 THOLIAN TK5: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. medium priority.
=
POSSIBLE NEW SHIPS LIST: Fed Destroyer (DDG, DD-FJ). Gorn DNC, BB, and DBC. Romulan SeaHawk. Kzinti DD.

Some of you have asked about what seem to be high shipping costs on our shopping cart for non-US orders. Almost nobody pays what the cart says, but the cart cannot calculate the "actual cost" (which is what we charge) and defaults to the highest of several different options. The reason for that is that the bank allows us to reduce what we charge you but not increase it. Once we get your order, Leanna calculates the "actual cost" and reduces the charge to that amount. There is really no practical way for the cart to calculate every possible shipping situation. (If you order a magazine or module it goes in an envelope. If you order a magazine and a miniature it goes it a box.) You can always email Leanna (Sales@starfleetgames.com) and tell her what you want to order. She will pull and weigh the order and calculate the actual shipping cost and tell you. (The cart will still show the higher cost but at least you'll know what the charge will be reduced to.)

We're getting a lot of totally new customers out of the recent change in the joint venture lines, and they are not aware that ADB is the single most responsive company in the industry. We answer every email and every question, and address every complaint and every issue. (Do not assume that such questions or issues will be ignored.) We make the extra effort to educate our customers into the how and why of the way our company runs, and many of them provide valuable suggestions and other input which we implement (sometimes overnight).

I don't want to order metal from America purely for that basis alone of shipping costs.

Are there any stockists of the "new" 2500/2425 minitures which you can recommend in the UK that we can compare prices for their items + shipping compared to yours.

I'd hate to pay for the bulk of items I used to purchase, with the increased shipping costs.

I used to buy at Salute without shipping costs spending over £150 at a time. (and will they still be sold at Salute?)

If not I can't justify purchasing any more, I really dislike purchasing from monopoly single source suppliers.

astronomypete, I wasn't sure what to tell you, so I asked SVC.

His answer: We're looking into the question but have several issues to solve regarding production before we can solve the distribution questions.

astronomypete said:
I don't want to order metal from America purely for that basis alone of shipping costs.

Are there any stockists of the "new" 2500/2425 minitures which you can recommend in the UK that we can compare prices for their items + shipping compared to yours.

I'd hate to pay for the bulk of items I used to purchase, with the increased shipping costs.

I used to buy at Salute without shipping costs spending over £150 at a time. (and will they still be sold at Salute?)

If not I can't justify purchasing any more, I really dislike purchasing from monopoly single source suppliers.

Gameslore here in the UK stock adb products, including 2400 squadron boxes etc. I'm sure they will continue to do so. There's probably other adb stockists here in the uk too

Leisure Games in North Finchley have a small stock, including some Squadron & Border Boxes the last time I was in, ring them to see what's available.

STARLINE MASTER STATUS REPORT: 16 December 2013
This lists only ships which are in the production pipeline. Any ship not listed here is a possible idea for future production. Your suggestions are welcome but we cannot deliver every new ship next week. Even a high priority ship can take at least three months from origination to release.
Progress since 9 Dec: Orion BR ordered to prototype (10D). Attempts to do a few clear resin ships were abandoned as not workable (10D). Got revised Orion CA-BC-BCH (13D) and posted them for comment.
IF YOU HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT you only have to read the above part. The below part is just so you can look up where your favorite ship is.
SHIPS ENTERING OR IN PRODUCTION
=
2500 GENERIC Free/Prime Trader and Armed Transport/Cutter. (missing Book One ship): on cart.
=
2425 SHUTTLES: The existing 2400 (ADB) and 2500 (Mongoose) shuttles will both remain in production.
=
PRODUCTION MOLDS ORDERED: Expect production to begin in two or three weeks.
=
2500 Kzinti Dreadnought in metal, ordered 28 November 2013.
=
2500 Romulan King Eagle revision, ordered 2 December 2013. (The old one-piece version is just not workable. All existing inventory has been melted down and new three-piece King Eagles will be available in a few weeks.)
=
MASTERS BEING REVIEWED: Expect about two weeks before production molds can be ordered.
=
2500 THOLIAN CA (missing Book One ship): CGI, prototype, master all done by Mongoose pre-contract change. Problem is that some phasers on the CGI disappeared on the prototype. On 27 Nov, we asked Bruce to send masters to Tony Thomas so he could add the phasers and do the clean-up. 8 Dec, Tony reports that the masters were received and will be easy to fix and send back to Bruce.
=
2500 THOLIAN DD (missing Book One ship): CGI, prototype, master all done by Mongoose pre-contract change. Problem is that some phasers on the CGI disappeared on the prototype. On 27 Nov, we asked Bruce to send masters to Tony Thomas so he could add the phasers and do the clean-up. 8 Dec, Tony reports that the masters were received and will be difficult to fix and it will be a week or two before these can be sent back to Bruce.
=
2500 KZINTI NCA: the one in production is missing two phasers and therefore defective. Reported to Mongoose several times. 30 Nov 2013 issued CORRECTED SHIP ORDER #101 to fix this. Possible update: 2 Dec 2013 we asked Tony Thomas to take a shot at fixing the phasers.
=
2500 THOLIAN PC (missing Book One ship): CGI, prototype, master all done by Mongoose pre-contract change. Master requires the standard clean and fill work which Bruce Graw can do. On 27 Nov, we asked Bruce to send masters to Tony Thomas so he could add the phasers and do the clean-up. 8 Dec, Tony reports that the masters were received and will be easy to fix and send back to Bruce.
=
SHIPS SENT TO MASTER MOLDS
None as of this report.
PROTOTYPES OF NEW SHIPS UNDER REVIEW
None as of this report.
PROTOTYPES OF NEW SHIPS ORDERED: Expect two to four weeks for delivery.
=
2500 KLINGON B10 Battleship: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. 30 Nov 2013 confirmed that the last set of corrections was made and ordered prototypes to be made. NEW SHIP ORDER #2
=
2500 THOLIAN DN: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. medium priority. Tracked down the latest reports on 7 Dec 2013; the ship had been posted for comment in March 2012. Asked staff for final clearance. Approved 8 Dec to move to prototype.
=
2500 THOLIAN TK5: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. medium priority. Tracked down the latest reports on 7 Dec 2013; the ship had been posted for comment in March 2012. Asked staff for final clearance. Approved 8 Dec to move to prototype.
=
2500 ORION Battle Raider: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. 30 Nov, determined that the last email on 8 Jan 2013 cited an error in the sensor grid; told Mongoose to fix it as NEW SHIP #1. Revisions received from Sandrine on 10 Dec, approve for prototype same day.
=
PRODUCTION NOTES
=
2500 STANDS We are looking into both of the types of stands that Mongoose used (straight and ball-and-socket) and are also investigating other options. Asked Matthew (again) for information on his two sources on 4 Dec and he kindly sent quotes on both types.
Clear Resin Ships: These will NOT be happening (ever). The technology is just not workable at the AOG casting house, which is why they disappeared a long time ago. Sometime next year we will see if some other casting house can do these, but I have zero confidence.
EXISTING RESIN SHIPS DISCONTINUED; SCHEDULED FOR LATER CONVERSION TO METAL
=
Klingon C8 Dreadnought: Status pending.
=
Romulan Condor dreadnought: status pending
=
NEW CGIs IN PROCESS
=
2400 KLINGON HF5 heavy war destroyer: CGI ordered from Seattle Shipyard 14 Nov 2013. This will be a CGI ship done with high detail and will be produced in both scales. The design will be close to the 2500.
=
2400 FEDERATION new fancy ship #1: Mongoose told to start CGI work on 26 November 2013
=
2400 KLINGON new fancy ship #1: Mongoose told to start CGI work on 26 November 2013
=
2400 ROMULAN SabreHawk heavy war destroyer: CGI ordered from Seattle Shipyard 14 Nov 2013. This will be a CGI ship done with high detail and will be produced in both scales. The design will be close to the 2500.
=
2425 JUMBO FREIGHTER (three pod): CGI ordered from Seattle Shipyard 16 Nov 2013. It will be produced for the 2425 series and used for both scales. On 5 Dec we saw a work in progress drawing and OK'ed it, more progress photos on 9 Dec.
=
2500 BATTLE STATION WITH AUGMENTS (missing Book One unit): CGI and prototype were done by Mongoose pre-contract change, but the resulting resin mini is not workable and was discarded. The CGI will be rescaled to match the other 2425s and produced as the augmented battle station as part of the relaunch.
=
2500 GENERIC Heavy Freighter (four pod) (missing Book One ship): CGI and prototype were done by Mongoose pre-contract change, but were destroyed in a failed attempt to make a master. (The engine struts were defective anyway.) This must be re-CGIed to fix the engines, the re-prototyped to replace the destroyed prototype.
=
2500 KLINGON D17: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. The problem is that the FX/RX phasers don't work and cannot be made to work, so we're going to set this aside and someday use the really nice design for a totally different ship.
=
2500 KLINGON D7C: CGI done by Mongoose in Feb 2013 and posted to BBS. Matthew reminded me of this "lost" ship on 3 Dec 2013. The staff reminded me that the wing ridges had been rejected, and I notified Matthew to save the design for some other use and assigned Will McC to come up with another concept.
=
2500 KLINGON HF5 heavy war destroyer: see 2400 listing.
=
2500 LYRAN Dreadnought: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Wanted for the relaunch.
=
2500 LYRAN Heavy Cruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Wanted for the relaunch.
=
2500 LYRAN Light Cruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending.
=
2500 ORION Battlecruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Mongoose asked on 29 Nov to modify the wings and resubmit the graphics. Medium priority. On 10 Dec, Sandrine asked for clarifications of the wings of the four big orions. Got and posted revised CGIs on 13 Dec.
=
2500 ORION dreadnought: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Mongoose asked on 29 Nov to modify the wings and resubmit the graphics. Medium priority.
=
2500 ORION heavy battlecruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Mongoose asked on 29 Nov to modify the wings and resubmit the graphics. Medium priority. Got and posted revised CGIs on 13 Dec.
=
2500 ORION Heavy Cruiser: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Mongoose asked on 29 Nov to modify the wings and resubmit the graphics. Medium priority. Got and posted revised CGIs on 13 Dec.
=
2500 ORION slaver: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Medium priority.
=
2500 ORION war destroyer: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Modifications to shorten the impulse prongs and define the wings were sent to Mongoose on 2 Dec 2013.
=
2500 ROMULAN SaberHawk heavy war destroyer: see 2400 listing.
=
2500 ROMULAN Vulture: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Lower priority.
=
2500 Federation Secret Ship #1: CGI started by Mongoose before contract modification. Status pending. Unknown priority.
=
POSSIBLE NEW SHIPS LIST: Fed Destroyer (DDG, DD-FJ). Gorn DNC, BB, and DBC. Romulan SeaHawk. Kzinti DD, Klingon SD7.

Urgh. I drop off the forum for a month or so, and everything changes.

If I am to understand it correctly, the effective change is that ADB has taken over the project and reduced Mongoose to just designing the ship models. Furthermore, mini manufacture is heading back over stateside.

I suppose this will make my main concerns as follows:
- Last time manufacturing was moved stateside, it was a disaster IIRC. I'm just going to have to hope that doesn't repeat.

- Will we still get SFU tournies in the UK/at Mongoose? If not, they will be a sad loss.

- ADB's discussion boards are dire. Seriously, they look like something dragged from last millenium. Can't something be done to make them easier on the eye and to use? They're certainly not as welcoming a place to log into as these (or just about any) forums.

There are actually two places to discuss ACTASF.

The first is the BBS. It is where all the development happens. It's probably the one you were referring to. http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/

We keep it because of its powerful moderation capabilities.

The second is the Forum. It looks much like this one. http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=49&sid=14952c62c6a34d12f4539b93fc72fa66 should take you directly to the ACTASF portion. If you have trouble getting your activation email, don't hesitate to PM me.

nekomata fuyu said:
- Last time manufacturing was moved stateside, it was a disaster IIRC. I'm just going to have to hope that doesn't repeat.
Well, ADB has been making metal miniatures for SFB and FC for as long as the company has existed, so I'm fairly confident of their ability to manage the operation now.

- Will we still get SFU tournies in the UK/at Mongoose? If not, they will be a sad loss.
My impression is that Mongoose pretty much cut loose their ACTASF demo teams after the reorganization. I would expect any further tournaments or demos will have to be through ADB volunteers.

- ADB's discussion boards are dire. Seriously, they look like something dragged from last millenium. Can't something be done to make them easier on the eye and to use? They're certainly not as welcoming a place to log into as these (or just about any) forums.
I kind of agree with you about the ADB "BBS" but their Federation Commander forum is run on the same modern webforum software as this forum. While the forum is nominally for ADB's Federation Commander game, they in fact cover all the ADB products there, and include a subforum for ACTASF and another for the Starline 2500 miniatures.

Ah, those forums look a lot nicer at least :) Although from your phrasing Jean does that mean that us forumites are little considered when it comes to the game dev side of things?

One of the main ways I've ended up playing SF has been through Mongoose organised events. If those events stop now that Mongoose have effectively been shuffled out of the game, I suspect that ACTA-SF will fall to one side. I hope I'm just being nervous over nothing, but my gut feeling is not good.

Well, most of the development discussions do take place on the BBS, as that's the main company site and that's where SVC hangs out.
But if you happen to glance at my post count on the Fed Comm forum - you'll see that I'm more than just a little active there.

I've probably been remiss about posting ACTASF1.2 stuff to that forum, but I do frequent it.
I'll try to remember to post updates there - I can then summarize the responses and post them to the BBS topic for everyone there to see.

Back