NEW WEAPONS

S'mon said:
BTW I suggest that realistically (ie, to avoid too much cheesiness) a 'war maul' like Thorgrim's to be usable would have a mostly wood or possibly stone head, faced in metal, not solid metal. That's certainly what I thought it was when I saw the movie! 8)

edit: oh, I also think AP9 is way too high for this weapon. It certainly should be no higher than that of a bardiche, which is a big hunk of metal on the end of a stick, but also has a curved blade for superior penetration.

I agree with your first point S'mon, I thought it was mostly steel reinforced wood.

Regarding the AP rating for such a weapon, I can see where you're coming from, but huge bludgeoning weapons such as a maul tend to hurt you no matter how much armor you're wearing. They might not cut through or pierce the armor, but will certainly dent a solid metal armor.

How to model this accurately and still keep the game simple I don't know, but I'm fine with the AP rating. Mostly because I love bludgeoning weapons and my group is always running around with sissy-looking blades... :p

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Yokiboy said:
Regarding the AP rating for such a weapon, I can see where you're coming from, but huge bludgeoning weapons such as a maul tend to hurt you no matter how much armor you're wearing. They might not cut through or pierce the armor, but will certainly dent a solid metal armor.

How to model this accurately and still keep the game simple I don't know, but I'm fine with the AP rating. Mostly because I love bludgeoning weapons and my group is always running around with sissy-looking blades... :p

I kinda agree, but I think the real problem is that armour is overrated in the RPG, by 2-4 DR on average I'd say - DR 7 would have been plenty for plate armour. I don't think the War Maul should have nearly as high AP as a weapon specifically designed for armour pentration, like the RPG's historically accurate prong-headed warhammer, or even a mace with its flanged head.

I’ve got a few points re the new Weapons list.

I think the Estoc doing 2d8 is a bit on the heavy side. It’s not used at all like a rapier and more like a spear with one hand behind the hilt and the second on the blade, which isn’t sharp, and designed to punch through heavy armour. It’s basically a metal spike with a cross guard. I think at most it should do d10 as I can’t imagine it doing any more than a broadsword or anywhere near as much as a warsword, but could probably have a similar PV to a warhammer at 7. It was also used on horseback, lance fashion.

As far as I’m aware another name for the Pollaxe is Bec De Courbon, much like the blunt version, Pollhammer, is also know as the Bec De Faucon. So I’m not sure its necessary to include it separately. I think the picture is a little misleading.

I think the PV on the rapier is way to high at 4. It wasn’t designed to fight opponents in heavy armour. This was why it was mainly a civilian weapon while heavy armour was still being used. It would probably be served better by giving at “finesse bonus”. Say it reduces the opponents AV by 2 for determining whether a finesse attack defeats armour but only has a normal AV of 1. A killing strike with a rapier is indicated by a slight flex of the blade, strength of the attacker not really a factor.

Swords were best for parrying but I’m not sure that +1 parry is the best answer. The side bar on page 159 does say that its supposed to represent a more abstract definition of the defence involved.

I think the Axe should have a PV of 2 instead of 1. Chopping through armour was the big thing with axes. Obviously this isn’t a factor if the weapon is used for a finesse attack.

I think the AP for the mauls is too high at 6 and 9 respectively. They are primitive weapons. How about 4 and 6 but add a new combat maneuver of “pulverising blow”( or some such). Standard action. Say –2 to attack and –2 to DV for the rest of the round but the character may add double their ST bonus to the AP and damage (instead of 1½ times). Maybe it needs Weapon Focus. Or something like that.

As a side note even 6 is probably too high as it puts it up over the AP for two handed swords. As armour became heavier shields grew out of favour and heavy weapons, Swords, axes and poleams, became popular to counter the heavy armour.

Flails. Hmmmm. I like the spinning attack but in all ways aside from hardness and hit points the Great Flail is superior to a two handed sword. It also appears to be the perfect weapon for a 7th level barbarian. Penalty on barbarians parry, no problem his dodge is better anyway; exotic weapon, no problem versatile, best damage plus nearly twice the AP of the two handed sword and as an added bonus –4 to be parried. The perfect soldier killer. How often are flails mentioned in Howard’s stories? I’ve read a few and remember no mention. If they were this good Conan would surely have used them.
I don’t know much about flails and their effectiveness but the stats on these examples don’t seem balanced. –4 to Parry, well it depends on your definition of parrying. If you mean literally turning a blow aside with the flail then sure it deserves a huge penalty, but if you are talking steadfast defence swinging that heavy ball in front of you, feet firmly planted your opponent trying to get in past it to hit you. Well….Again I’m not a flail expert but I think you’d have to be real good to happily spin that flail and duck and dodge around at the same time.

Just thought I’d add my two cents worth!

The kopesh (aka khopesh) is in OGL Ancients (saw it at the store):

125 sp, 2d6, 19-20/x2, Slashing.

No mention of a trip attack with the hooked blade. Thoughts?

Can a trip with the head of my axe? Just as likely as trying to trip someone with a kopesh.
As far as I was aware the hooks on polearms weren't really for trying to trip people, (in the time it takes you to get the head of the weapon past your opponents legs then pull it back to try and trip him your weapon isn't in a position to protect you so you get deaded by your enemy :cry: ), but more for entangling and unhorsing mounted knights and men at arms

The 1e D&D Unearthed Arcana made mention of tripping foes with a khopesh, I thought. Not a bad sword as is in OGL Ancients.

The thing is: historically the Khopesh was a bad sword.

There are similar designs that are much better.

Iron_Chef said:
The 1e D&D Unearthed Arcana made mention of tripping foes with a khopesh, I thought. Not a bad sword as is in OGL Ancients.

Nope, it allowed you to disarm the foe, not trip him. Silly either way, but there you have it.

Back