NEW WEAPONS

As for the damage of a sap, I'm not sure what I think, really. Speaking from personal experience, I had someone blindside me in the back of the head with a 2x4 once, and it very nearly knocked me out. But it was a fairly glancing blow. If my attacker had hit me pretty hard with it, I would have been on the floor. I imagine a sap would have this same effect.

My father was a police officer, and back in the day, some cops used to carry those things. He was telling me a couple months ago, that he's used one himself, and not only do they knock a person out, but the person would typically crap his pants, as well. (Literally)

Only thing is, I'm not sure how long a person would be out after a hit from one of those things. It probably wouldn't be very long, maybe just a minute or two. But of course, in movies and books, the victim is pretty much out for the rest of the night. That's probably a little fictitious.

Johannixx said:
I've seen references in Howard's stories to an 'Ilbarsi knife', but I sort of gathered that it was pretty much the same as a Zhaibar knife. Then again, I always pictured both of those weapons as something akin to a Khyber knife, rather than the double-edged thrusting knife illustrated (and mis-labelled "Ghanata knife") in the Conan RPG.

Yeah, I got the impression from Howard's description that the Zhaibar knife was his analogue to the Khyber knife. I suspect he was influenced, in writing of the Himelian tribes, by the various British writers who documented Britain's experiences fighting ferocious Afghan tribes in the Anglo-Afghan wars. He may not have ever seen a Khyber knife himself, but Kipling and others certainly describe the fear the thing instills...

Then again, Ian, it wouldn't be the only weapon that you described properly and the illustrator failed to capture properly (warhammer, anyone?) ;)

About the War Maul:

Historically speaking, weapon weights, pretty much regardless of the type of weapon involved, fall into a few categories. This is because the limiting factor on weapon use is your ability, not to swing, but to keep it ready to attack or parry with.

Hand weapons then, tend to go like this:

2 lbs, or less: a light, fast weapon, relying on speed and finesse, rather than crushing power. I have a mace in this range. Also, a saber, a smallsword, some rapiers, a shortsowrd, some of the faster axes and or hammers, etc.

Around 3 lbs.: the standard weight for a battlefield handweapon. Light enough to be maneuverable and handy, heavy enoguh to hurt when it hits, and break through light armor. Pretty much the basic sword weight, for instance, and also the weight of the more serious axes and maces.

Around 4 lbs.: the weight of a light, fast two-handed weapon, or a heavy one hander. The Broad Sword in Conan is a good example. Hits a little harder, but using it with efficiency requires either two hands or serious muscles, plus some extra training. Few axes or maces or hammers are this heavy, as the most usual use for a weapon of this weight is to improve the AP factor, which the hafted weapons are already pretty good at.

5-6 lbs.: the weight of a battlefield two-handed weapon. Scotch two-handed Claidhmores (Claidhmores is actually kind of a strange nomenclature, in that it literally translates as "great sword", but the word was used for whatever the heaviest sword commonly used at the time happened to be, resulting in its being applied to several different types of weapons) are this heavy, as would a two-handed battleaxe be.

Anything up to this heavy might get a "pole" version, adding a pound for a reach weapon, or even two pounds for something like a pike, or similar.

7-9 lbs.: this is the weight of a Zweihander, that is: a weapon that not only requires two hands to weild, but also requires special training, an entirely different fighting style, and that you be a big and hefty guy in seriously good condition to weild effectively.

Anything heavier: this is a tool or a "bearing weapon", something that you carry in parades, not a serious combat implement. Pretty much the minimum mechanical penalties I that would not trip my suspension of disbelief trigger would be: attacking with a weapon this heavy draws one or even two AoOs (one as you set, another as you recover), and Parrying with the weapon is penalised or even dissallowed. Feats or class abilities might reduce this, but only so far. The counterbalance would be that whatever you hit with the thing should pretty much go baibai automatically.

Lets keep the thirty-five-pound-heavy-mace-weilded-in-one-hand silliness to D&D, which is sillily unrealistic any, hmm?

I think I'd kick up the critical threat range or multiplier on the morningstar. It is one of the underrated weapons in most games. Spikes with serious mass behind them have the potential of inflicting quite lethal damage if it makes solid impact.

Here is an example of two higher quality morningstars. A lower quality version would essentially be a stout wood club with spikes, or with spiked iron banding.

17013_17014.jpg

Original post edits:
Upped critical multiplier on the morningstar per suggestion. Revised how the sap works (added Fort save)... still looking into Sneak Subdual might affect this weapon. Altered weight of war maul from 30 lb. to 9 lb. per suggestion.

Note to the poster who criticized the war maul: This is the weapon used by Thorgrim in CONAN THE BARBARIAN and that is the "realism" I am trying to achieve with recreating it. The movie set the precedent; I have no idea how realistic the weapon is (I assumed it was on the verge of impossible), but I very much appreciate your feedback and the info on weights! I didn't know any of that, so thanks! :D

Please understand, I have no problem with the idea of a War Maul type implement.

I only have a problem with the idea that any shmuck with an exotic weapon proficiency can pick up and wield successfully in combat a hammer with a thirty-pound head.

With that said (and now that I have both my CCCBs and my book in front of me) - this is what I would do (your milage may obviously vary.)

War Maul: An eight-ten pound hammerhead on a stick. Adapted for war from implements used to pound in stakes, split firewood and crush rocks.

System: should probably be an exotic weapon. There is already a "honkin big blade on a stick" weapon - the Bardiche. If you take the Bardiche stats and adjust them for "warhammer"ness similar to the differences between a Battle-axe and a Warhammer, you ought to get something pretty close to good enough. So, let's see:
A Warhammer is: 7sp - 1d6 - x3 - AP7 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP4 - 4 lb - B or P - Martial One-Handed
A Battleaxe is: 5 sp - 1d10 - x3 - AP4 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP5 - 3 lb - S - Martial One-Handed

For my own part, I know that *most* warhammers, qua warhammers, (that is, things like this:
warhammer.jpg
)
are actually *lighter* than axes and many maces. The all-steel warhammer I have hanging on my wall weighs a little more than two pounds - well, around two-and-a-half, actually - so I would lower the Warhammer's weight to three, or even two, pounds. Not that that's really here or there for this discussion, mind ... where was I?

Oh, yeah, Warhammers, right.

Anyway, my point was going to be that a "War Maul" - essentially a large sledgehammer - is not really going to have the same characteristics as an actual eight-pound version of the picture I just linked to. So, to actually make a point here someday, I would stat out a new weapon called a "Sledge", or possibly a "Warsledge", made to depict an actual, y'know, sledgehammer in combat.

New weapon: Warsledge - 5 sp - 1d8 - x3 - AP5 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP5 - 4 lb - B - Martial One-Handed.

Note that you will generally prefer either the battleaxe, for damage, or the warhammer, for AP, in general useage - but as few people ever actually used sledgehammers in melee, this does not bother me.

Anyway - back to the Warmaul :
A Battleaxe is: 5 sp - 1d10 - x3 - AP4 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP5 - 3 lb - S - Martial One-Handed
A Bardiche is: 8sp - 2d10 - x3 - AP5 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP10 - 7 lb - S - Martial Two-Handed

The only problem I would have with the Bardiche's stats is that it is a Martial weapon, whereas I would think that something that heavy would be Exotic, but whatever. Now the differences between a Battleaxe and a Bardiche are: 1 - doubled damage, 2- +1 AP - 3 - Doubled HP, 4 - greater weight, and 5 - two-handed instead of one-handed. Applying these changes to the "Warsledge" I just made up would give:

New weapon : Warmaul - 8sp - 2d8 - x3 - AP6 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP10 - 8 lb - B - Martial Two-Handed.

If we apply the Battleaxe-Bardiche changes to an actual Warhammer referenced above, we get:

New weapon : Freakin' Big Warhammer - 10sp - 2d6 - x3 - AP9 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP8 - 6 lb - B or P - Martial Two-Handed.

(Notice that I've reduced the weight a tad.) Edit: Also, the AP should be pumped up, as AP8 is the same as a Pollaxe (below) which should logically be a little poorer at that job, to make up for its extra flexibility. So AP9, instead of AP8.

We can also delve into medevial history and come up with a weapon called a Bec-de-corbin (or "crows beak") which also seems to be unaccountably missing from the weapons tables in Conan OGL. It's basicly an only-slightly-heavier Warhammer (like the picture) on a longer stick. The similarity here is Battleaxe - Pollaxe.

A Pollaxe is: 8 sp - 2d6 - x3 - AP8 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP10 - 7 lb - S or P - Martial Two-Handed - Set vs. Charge.

(Which, quite frankly, looks an awful damn lot like a bec-de-corbin already, but ....)

Anyway, applying the differences to a Warhammer gives you:

New weapon: Bec-de-corbin - 10 sp - 1d8 - x3 - AP14(!!) - 0' - Hrd7 - HP8 - 6 lb. - B or P - Martial Two-Handed - Set vs. Charge.

(Whether you want to unleash an AP14 weapon into your campaign I couldn't say. Since the primary use for - and reason for the development of - the Bec-de-corbin was shucking fully plate-armored knights out of their steel shells it almost makes sense. A different reading of the Battleaxe-Pollaxe translation would make it AP11, if that's any better. Heh.)

Anyway, back to your original point, which was to simulate the uber-weapon of a movie badguy - a thirty pound mallet-thingy.

Since we're talking about a weapon that should only be used by uber-characters anyway here, I have no difficulty with making it not merely Exotic, but Exotic and requires-a-feat-or-two-anyway - this is not something that any random Barbarian should be able to pick up and use well.

I note that my private notes indicate that raising a size Medium weapon to a size Large usually doubles the weight, and increasing a size Large to a size Huge can range between 2x and 4x the weight again. Going by the note above that the two-handed-sledgehammer Warmaul weighs eight pounds if it's made for a Human, it would seem that the same weapon made for an Ogre would weigh around 16 pounds, and the same weapon made for a Hill Giant would weigh between 32 and 64. If, then we conclude that whatisface's mallet shared the statistics of a Warmaul built for a Hill Giant (and figure out how he was swinging it around later) , we can advance the Warmaul stats to size Huge and see what they are.

My private notes indicate that a single level shift in size raises damage codes by two die-types or 2-4 points of average damage, depending.

A Medium Warmaul (as above) is: 8sp - 2d8 - x3 - AP6 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP10 - 8 lb - B - Martial Two-Handed.

2d8 average damage is 9, so adding 4-8 points would give between 13-17. This encodes to, mmm, 3d8 really, which seems a little low. raising the die-type by four would yield mmm 8-10-12-14=2d8 or so, which would give us 4d8, which is 18 average damage, which seems reasonable anyway.

AP - what to do about AP? The diff between the Battleaxe and the Bardiche approximates a size jump, and that adds 1 AP, so 2 AP would seem reasonable, except that that would put the the total AP at 8, which seems very low to me. Hmm. Let's bump it to 10, what say? That should be scary enough.

So a Huge Warmaul would be: 14sp - 4d8 - x3 - AP10 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP40 - 40 lb - B - Martial Two-Handed (Special).

It's going to brush aside almost any armor, since it will be getting AP14-16 or so, and will do, on average , between 22 and 24 hp per hit, drawing a massive damage save, assuming it's being used by a chanacter of STR18 - 22, which should be kinda minimal for a highish level bruiser.

Now to apply drawbacks.

First off, I really wouldn't want too many PCs taking this monster, so I would rather make it kind-of un-appealing. Second, I would like to maintain a nodding distance with realism, if for no other reason than that it keeps down the amount of extrapolation I, as GM, have to do in-game. So, if you just pick this thing up and started trying to whale away I would rule like so:

A character attempting to wield a weapon equivalent to one built for a being one size class larger than the character concerned suffers the following penalties:
1 - the weapon is considered an Exotic Two-Handed weapon for that character,
2 - the character suffers a -2 Circumstance penalty on attack rolls,
3 - because the weapon is so slow and difficult to wield, each attack the character makes with the weapon draws an automatic Attack of Opportunity after the Attack roll, as the character attempts to recover from the swing and return to guard position.
(optional) 4 - the character wielding the weapon suffers a circumstance penalty of -4 to Parry.

A character attempting to wield a weapon equivalent to one built for a being two size classes larger than he or she is suffers all of the above penalties, and also the following:
1 - another -2 Circumstance penalty to Attack rolls, the penalties stack,
2- in addition to the AoO after the Attack roll, the wielder also suffers an Attack of Oportunity before the attack roll as he attempts to set for a blow.
3 - the character may not Parry with the weapon under any circumstances.
4 - the character may not make Attacks of Opportunity with the weapon.

The "Dodge it, you Moron!" rule: a character attempting to Parry a weapon wielded by an opponent one or more sizes larger than himself, or an opponent wielding a weapon built for such a creature, suffers a Circumstance penalty to his DV of -2 per size class difference. The penalties (obviously) stack. (In the ROTK movie, Eowyn didn't try to bnlock the Witch King's god-awful huge Flail, she just got out of the way. Sensibly.)

Now we add a pair of feats:

Massive Weapons Proficiency (General, Soldier)
The character may use weapons made for, or equivalent to weapons made for, beings one size class larger than himself as if they were ordinary weapons of their type, suffering no additional penalties. The character does however, suffer a Circumstance penalty of -1 to his Attack rolls with such large weapons.
Normal: the character suffers penalties when attempting to use a weapon built for a being of larger size than himself.

Huge Weapon Proficiency[/u] (General, Soldier)
Prerequisite: Massive Weapons Proficiency, Proficiency in the selected weapon., Weapon Focus in the selected weapon.
The character may select a single weapon with which he has Weapon Focus. The character may use a specially made version of that weapon which is equivalent to a weapon of that type made for a being of twp size classes larger than the character in question. With this weapon the normal penalties attendant upon using such an oversized weapon are replaced with the following:
1 - the character suffers a Circumstance penalty of -2 to attack rolls with the weapon, and
2 - the character not Parry with the weapon, and thus may not Parry at all if he has no other readied weapon or shield, and
3 - the character may not make Attacks of Opportunity with the weapon.

The latter two penalties are justified by saying that the fighter is not capable of keeping the weapon moving at all times like a warrior wielding a more sensibly sized weapon can - rather, the character must strike in ferocious bursts of speed, which he must plan ahead of time. The temporary opening left when someone draws an AoO is insufficient time for him to set and swing without leaving himself open in turn.

The effect of these two feats will be that: A - Barbarians will not get them, so Conan will not go around snarfing Thorgrim's big hammer, and
B - dodging will be the appropriate response to this beast, which will probably kill any character of less than 6-8th level it hits straight off, and
C - high level barbarians will go first, streak in using Mobility, hack the bruiser a couple times, and then streak back out, and
D - the best defence of a Soldier-type (who is the class most likely to carry this thing) is reduced or negated, meaning
E - PCs are not likely to use the thing.

Which is what we wanted to begin with.

As a special bonus, in addition to Thorgrimms uber-hammer, these rules can also be used to smack down ^H^Harbitrate^H^Hsmack down people who want to wield Cloud Strife's Buster sword. If, that happens to be, like, a thing for you. Or something.

Here endeth the post.

Here beginneth a new post.

Further comments:

Morningstars : the problem with the stats you have in the first post of this thread is that they are not only better than a Heavy Mace at every point, but also better than a Battleaxe. Not only does this make little sense, but also violates good practice unless the Morningstar is an Exotic Weapon.

The problem with making a Morningstar an Exotic Weapon is that it is really nothing but an iron or steel club with spikes. This differs from a normal club only in having the spikes, and from an equivalent mace only in that a mace has blunt blade-like flanges, instead.

There really is, in other words, no basis for saying that a Morningstar is any harder to use than any other Mace, and, in the d20 system, that means that they should have compareable stats.

For my own part, I would make no real distinction between a Mace with spikes (a "morningstar"), and a mace with flanges (a "mace"). They're both just maces to me. But, if I did want to make a distinction, I would say that aa Morningstar trades Penetration for surface damage, as the spikes can more easily glance off armor, but can rip great wads of flesh away from a victim. So:

Light Morningstar - 3 sp - 1d8 - x3 - AP0 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP3 - 2.5 lb - B or P - Simple One-Handed.
Heavy Morningstar - 3 sp - 1d10 - x3 - AP2 - Hrd7 - HP5 - 4 lb - B or P - Simple One-Handed.

I should note, in passing, that the illustration of a "Heavy Mace" in the Conan OGL rulebook clearly shows spikes.

The damage rating on the sickle seems high to me. 1d8 x2 is the same damage as a Light Mace. Is AP1 vs. AP2 enough tradeoff for the Trip bonus? Hard to say, but I would probably reduce the damage to 1d6. Sickles just aren't really meant as weapons, IMO.

Following up on that thought, we have the sickle that is meant as a weapon, the Kama.

Kama - 4 sp - 1d6 - x4 - AP3 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP3 - 2 lb - P - Martial Light - This weapon may be used to make Trip attacks. The wielder may drop the weapon to avoid being tripped in return.

Damage on the Scythe should either be 2d6 - crit x3 slashing or 2d4 - crit x4 piercing. In this one case there might be justification for a double statline. Matter of taste, really. There's also good justification for making it either a Martial weapon, or even an Exotic one. Scythes are commonly used by the peasantry, true, to reap grain. Using it in a fight is much different. When peasants in the middle ages were called up to the militia, they generally either left their scythes at home, or had the local blacksmith straighten them into a weapon called the "Fauchard". Again, a matter of taste.

What's the point of the "Ibarsi Knife"? Oh, I see, cheaper than a Cutlass, but less AP. Sure. Makes sense. Weight should be 2 pounds, and HP should be 5.

A Rapier should probably be AP3, or even 4. They were normally made with diamond shaped cross sections for better penetration, and a good thrust would easily penetrate a "standard" mail hauberk. A Rapier could also Slash, incidentally.

There's also a thing called a "Sword Rapier" in some corners. About half way between a Rapier and an Arming Sword, but more expensive than either. In the years when Rapiers were civilian wear, Sword-Rapiers were military.

Sword-Rapier - 200 sp - 1d10 - 19-20(x2) - AP4 - 0' - Hrd10 - HP5 - 3 lb - S or P - Martial One-Handed - Finesseable

Let's also put in a word for the "Estoc" - the Two-Handed Rapier. (Yes, really.)

Estoc - 200 sp - 2d8 - 18-20(x2) - AP6 - 0' - Hrd10 - HP8 - 4 lb - P - Exotic Two-Handed, Finesseable

You should be able to get pretty much any kind of sword made with a handguard that protects against Disarms, really. Maybe add 25 sp or so to the price.

Swords, in general, should add a bonus of +1 to your Parry DV. Easy parrying is one of the big sword advantages, historically speaking.

I think I may have mentioned elsewhere that almost all weapons should be able to make Finesse attacks. Those which are good at them should get a bonus the number they need to exceed the DR by to bypass it. My opinion would add 2 to the score. Missile weapons should be able to make a finesse attack within 1 range increment.

Lances, Pikes, good, good. Spears should get the AP bonus when set vs. a Charge, also.

Bolas, Scourge both look good as-is.

The blowgun should really only do 1 point of real damage. Maybe add a Large one that does 1d4. Most blowguns were only used to deliver poisons, really. The Large version would actually be a "Mighty" version, of course, and should need a special Feat to demonstrate increased lung capacity, or something.

What's the point of taking a Bamulan Hunting Bow, instead of a Bossonian Longbow? Not that I see anything wrong with the stats or concept, but it seems inferior on all points.

Lastly, Flails. Oh dear. Flails.
D&D mangled flails. Badly. This is a subject I've stirred myself to do actual research on, the fruits of whoich I will now transfer to you.

Flails. A Flail is a mace on a chain. That is, it is a striking head, almost always equipped with spikes, on a flexible linkage attached to a stick, or haft.

The advantages of a Flail over a Mace are:
1 - the chain generally adds a longer moment arm, leading to more impact force.
2 - if you can get the warhead spinning before you strike, you can add the momentum of the spin to the energy of the blow itself, for more impact yet.
3 - you generally get a little longer reach.
4 - they are hell to parry, because even if you can try to catch the head, all the wielder has to do is extend his arm a little and you catch the chain or the haft instead, and then the head wraps around and bop you anyway.
5 - people are scared of them.
6 - if you can't see what you're swinging at, it's easier to keep a flail in motion and maybe hit something than to try to wave a sword or mace about. (There's the story of a French King who was blind, but went into battle anyway, riding his horse and swinging a flail about in blind arcs, hoping to hit something. There's also the story that he had a couple of footmen told off to lead the horse around, he being blind and not capable of seeing where he was goin, which has to win some kind of award on the all-time Jobs That Really Bite list.)

The disadvantages of a Flail are:
1 - there's no getting around it - a flail is kind of slow. Even if you don't spin it up beforehand, the ball follows the haft since the chain will not necessarily pull taut.
2 - Flails can't parry other weapons either.
3 - Getting the Flail head spinning at speed to use advantage # 2 takes time. A guy with an axe might hack at you a couple times while you got ready to hit him agian.
4 - It's already too possible to hurt yourself swinging around a heavy axe or hammer, as many a person who has chopped at a log and put the axe into their own foot can attest. Whacking yourself in the head by letting a spinning flail get away from you is easy

Not all flails, incidentally, have long chains. A Nunchaku is a form of Flail, as is a Three-section-staff and even a Serpent Whip. Many of the cheaper and larger European Medevial flails were converted from Grain flails, and just had a couple links of chain.

There's also the thing called a Goupillon Flail, which is a flail with more than one head attached to the same haft. I've never really gotten a good explanation of why you would want to use one, but they do exist.

(There is, however, no such thing as a flail with a ball on either end of the haft. The Dire Flail - Worst. Idea. Ever. Evar, even.)

With these things in mind.

Flail, light - 1d8 - x3 - AP3 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP4 - 2.5 lb - B - Exotic One-Handed, Flail rules.
- Spinning Attack - 1d10 - x3 - AP4 - """"""""

Flail, Heavy - 1d10 - x3 - AP5 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP5 - 4 lb - B - Exotic One=Handed, Flail rules.
- Spinning Attack - 1d12 - x3 - AP6 - """""""""

Flail, Great - 2d10 - x3 - AP6 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP10 - 7 lb - B - Exotic Two-Handed, Flail rules.
- Spinning Attack - 2d12 - x3 - AP7 - """"""""""

Flail rules: general.
1 - Flails suffer a -2 penalty to initiative.
2 - Characters with only a Flail who attempt to Parry, and characters who try to Parry an attack by a Flail, suffer a -4 penalty to their DV.
3 - Despite other rules allowing all weapons to use a Finesse Attack, a Flail may never do so.
4 - In the case where the wielder of a flail suffers a Critical Failure, (should such rules be in use) the result is always that the Flail wielder hits himself with his own weapon.
5 - as a Standard Action, a character may use a Flail to make a special Spinning Attack, using the stats listed. (Optionally, a Full-Round Action? Probably not. You should be able to do this and move at the same time, really.)

A Feat:
Master or Flails (General, Soldier)
Prerequisite: Proficiency with any Flail-type weapon. Weapon Focus with any Flail-type weapon. BAB+6
The Character may make a Spinning Attack with any Flail for which he has Weapon Focus as an Attack Action.
Normal: Making a Spinning Attack with a Flail-type weapon is a Standard Action.

NEW WEAPONS (REVISED)
This incorporates "Speaker To Dreamworlds" invaluable input and adds the Net to Exotic Ranged Weapons. I made a couple small tweaks to his work, but the only ones I remember was lowering the cost of the light morning star and making the heavy morningstar two-handed.

SIMPLE WEAPONS
Light Melee Weapons

Sap: 1 sp, Dmg 2d10 subdual, Crit 20/x3, AP 0, Rng 0, Hard 0, HP 1, Wt 2 lb., Type Bludgeoning
Special: A sap only deals subdual damage. It is only useful if the target's head can be struck with a sneak or surprise attack. A helm reduces the sap's damage to 1 point of subdual (+ Strength modifier). Any target whose unhelmeted head is struck must make a Fortitide save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or be rendered unconscious for 1d4 minutes.

One-Handed Melee Weapons
Morningstar, Light - 2 sp - 1d8 - x3 - AP0 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP3 - 2.5 lb – B/P

Sickle: This is a farmer's weapon. Because of the weapon's shape, you can use it to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your your own trip attempt, you can drop the sickle to avoid being tripped.
Cost 6 sp, Dmg 1d6, Crit 20/x2, AP 1, Rng 0, Hard 7, HP 3, Wt 2 lb., Type Slashing

Two-Handed Melee Weapons
Morningstar, Heavy - 3 sp - 1d10 - x3 - AP2 - Hrd7 - HP5 - 4 lb – B/P

Scythe: This is the standard farm implement that focuses tremendous force on the sharp point, allowing devastating slashes. Because of the weapon's shape, you can use it to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your your own trip attempt, you can drop the scythe to avoid being tripped.
18 sp, Dmg 2d4, Crit 20/x4, AP 2, Rng 0, Hard 7, HP 10, Wt 10 lb., Type Slashing

MARTIAL WEAPONS
Light Melee Weapons

Kama - 4 sp - 1d6 - x4 – AP 3 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP3 - 2 lb - P
This weapon may be used to make Trip attacks. The wielder may drop the weapon to avoid being tripped in return.

One-Handed Melee Weapons
Knife, Ilbarsi: This long curved knife, common among the hillmen of the Ilbars Mountains, is similar to the Zhaibar knife.
25 sp, Dmg 1d10, Crit 19-20/x2, AP 1, Rng 0, Hard 8, HP 5, Wt 2 lb., Type Slashing.

Rapier - 200 sp - 1d8 - 18-20(x2) – AP 4 - 0' - Hrd10 - HP5 - 3 lb - S or P - Finesseable

Two-Handed Melee Weapons
Bec-de-corbin - 10 sp - 1d8 - x3 – AP 11 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP8 - 6 lb. - B or P

Estoc (Two-Handed Rapier) - 200 sp - 2d8 - 18-20(x2) - AP6 - 0' - Hrd10 - HP8 - 4 lb - P - Finesseable

War Maul - 8sp - 2d6 - x3 – AP 6 - 0' - Hrd 7 - HP 8 - 8 lb - B
An eight pound hammerhead on a stick. Adapted for war from implements used to pound in stakes, split firewood and crush rocks.

War Maul, Heavy - 10sp - 2d8 - x3 – AP 9 - 0' - Hrd 7 - HP 8 - 10 lb - B
A ten pound hammerhead on a stick. Adapted for war from implements used to pound in stakes, split firewood and crush rocks.

EXOTIC WEAPONS
One-Handed Melee Weapons

Cat-O-Nine Tails or Scourge: A cat-o'-nine-tails (nine tailed light whip) or scourge (three tailed barbed light whip) can be used to torture captives; doing so adds a +2 bonus to all Profession (Torturer) checks. Neither of these lighter versions of the whip can damage anyone with DR 1 or better.
1 sp, Dmg 1 point lethal + 1d4 subdual on unarmoured opponents, Crit 20/x2, AP 0, Rng 0, Hard 2, HP 0, Wt 1 lb, Type Slashing

Flail, light - 1d8 - x3 – AP 3 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP4 - 2.5 lb - B – Special: Spinning Attack - 1d10 - x3 - AP4

Flail, Heavy - 1d10 - x3 – AP 5 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP5 - 4 lb - B – Special: Spinning Attack - 1d12 - x3 - AP6

Two-Handed Melee Weapons
Flail, Great - 2d10 - x3 – AP 6 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP10 - 7 lb - B – Special: Spinning Attack - 2d12 - x3 - AP7

Ranged Weapons
Bamula Hunting Bow: This heavy composite bow is used by warriors of the Bamula tribe to hunt dangerous game such as lions.
20 sp, Dmg 1d10, Crit 19-20/x2, AP 2*, Hard 5, HP 3, Rng 70 ft., Wt 3 lb., Type Piercing

Blowgun: This weapon requires two hands to use. Loading a blowgun is a move equivalent action that provokes attacks of opportunity. The blowgun has a maximum range of five range increments. Blowguns are common in Antillia but unknown elsewhere.
20 sp, Dmg 1, Crit 20/x2, AP 0*, Hard 5, HP 3, Rng 10, Wt 2 lb., Type Piercing. Blowgun Darts (10): 1 sp, Wt .5 lb.

Bolas: A set of bolas consists of two or three heavy wooden spheres connected by lengths of cord. Bolas only deal subdual damage. Because the bolas can wrap around to grapple an enemy's leg, wrist, or neck, you can use this weapon to make a ranged trip attack against an opponent. You can't be tripped during your trip attempt when using a set of bolas.
5 sp, Dmg 1d6 subdual, Crit 20/x2, AP 0*, Hard 0, HP 1, Rng 10 ft., Wt 2 lb., Type Bludgeoning

Bolas, Barbed: The barbed bolas is similar to a normal bolas, except that its weighted balls are studded with hooked barbs. The barbed bolas function identically to the bolas except that its damage is not subdual damage. In addition, on any failed attempt to break or wriggle free, the grappled character takes an additional 1d4 points of damage.
10 sp, Dmg 1d6, Crit 20/x2, AP 0*, Hard 0, HP 1, Rng 10 ft., Wt 2 lb., Type Bludgeoning and Slashing

Net – 20 sp – n/a – n/a – n/a – 10 ft. – Hard 2 – HP 5 – 6 lb., Type: n/a. See 3.5 PHB for special rules.

FLAIL RULES:
1 – Flails suffer a -2 penalty to initiative.
2 - Characters with only a Flail who attempt to Parry, and characters who try to Parry an attack by a Flail, suffer a -4 penalty to their Parry DV.
3 - Despite other rules allowing all weapons to use a Finesse Attack, a Flail may never do so.
4 - In the case where the wielder of a flail suffers a Critical Failure, (should such rules be in use) the result is always that the Flail wielder hits himself with his own weapon.
5 - As a Standard Action, a character may use a Flail to make a special Spinning Attack.

NOTES:
Bec-de-corbins may be set to receive a charge.
Lances double their AP value when used in a mounted charge or when set to receive a charge.
Pikes double their AP value when set to receive a charge.
Spears double their AP when used in a charge on foot or when set to receive a charge.
Swords all grant their wielder a +1 bonus to Parry.
Swords may be created with basket hilts that prevent them from being disarmed for an extra 25 sp to cost.

NEW FEATS
MASTER OF FLAILS (General, Soldier)
Prerequisite: Proficiency with any Flail-type weapon. Weapon Focus with any Flail-type weapon. BAB+6
The Character may make a Spinning Attack with any Flail for which he has Weapon Focus as an Attack Action.
Normal: Making a Spinning Attack with a Flail-type weapon is a Standard Action.

[EDIT] Changed rapier damage to 1d8, Crit 18-20/x2.

[EDIT] Fixed mistakes in both war maul listings.

I'd drop the rapier damage down to 1d8, and up the crit to 18-20x2. As it stands, it's just an arming sword with a better AP value.

As for the reasons why anyone would take a Bamulan hunting bow over a Bossonian longbow, well, why would anyone take a Stygian bow over the drastically superior Bossonian bow? Because that's where they grew up. If you were born and raised in a culture that used an inferior weapon, chances are you'll grow up using that weapon.

Johannixx said:
As for the reasons why anyone would take a Bamulan hunting bow over a Bossonian longbow, well, why would anyone take a Stygian bow over the drastically superior Bossonian bow? Because that's where they grew up. If you were born and raised in a culture that used an inferior weapon, chances are you'll grow up using that weapon.

That's what I was thinking. :wink:
...Also changed raper damage/crit per your advice.

Coolio. Now I just have to get my armor notes organized. What's the maximum coverage that a Helmet should allow you, anyway? Is this number changed by the fact that one of the most recognizable images of a Pulp Warrior pretty much only wears a Great Helm?

Sigh. :?

Speaker-to-Dreamworlds said:
Is this number changed by the fact that one of the most recognizable images of a Pulp Warrior pretty much only wears a Great Helm?

I'm thinking that would be a good example of a prestige class that offers innate Damage Reduction, neh?

Hi. I'm new here, but I think this is a cool topic and I just wanted to say you guys have much more weapon expertise than I could ever hope to have.

Heh. You just know that means I have a comment. So here goes. Why does the kama do x4 critical damage? I would think having it do x2 or x3 would be major damage for the type of weapon it is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't all light weapons use the finesse rule?

Anyways, excellent topic. I'll be reading it for updates.

Tenken

A Kama isn't usually used to slash with, rather it is used much like a small pick, and thrust deeply and then ripped out, doing nasty damage. In D20, traditionally, that kind of weapon gets a x4 critical multiplier. It could be 1d8 crit x3, as well, I suppose, but that starts stepping into the Axe and Shortsword's baliwick.

zero skill LPB said:
Has Mongoose solicited funneling your obvious passion for Conan into one of their products yet?

*hint* Mongoosers

Hehe, well, I have a few article submissions over at S&P (one which they requested, the Femme Fatale class), but no, they aren't exactly beating down my door with offers to write books. I need an agent, LOL.

Hey what's up with the two Mauls, they're not consistent? :?

War Maul - 8sp - 2d8 - x3 – AP 6 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP10 - 8 lb - B
An eight pound hammerhead on a stick. Adapted for war from implements used to pound in stakes, split firewood and crush rocks.

War Maul, Heavy - 10sp - 2d6 - x3 – AP 9 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP8 - 6 lb - B or P
A ten pound hammerhead on a stick. Adapted for war from implements used to pound in stakes, split firewood and crush rocks.

The second one's flavor text claims it weighs 10lb, but the stats don't back that up. The 10lb maul also does less damage than the 8lb one, plus it has piercing damage!? :shock:

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Yokiboy said:
Hey what's up with the two Mauls, they're not consistent? :?

War Maul - 8sp - 2d8 - x3 – AP 6 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP10 - 8 lb - B

War Maul, Heavy - 10sp - 2d6 - x3 – AP 9 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP8 - 6 lb - B or P

The second one's flavor text claims it weighs 10lb, but the stats don't back that up. The 10lb maul also does less damage than the 8lb one, plus it has piercing damage!? :shock:

Um, don't know how that happened. Here are the revised war mauls:

War Maul - 8sp - 2d6 - x3 – AP 6 - 0' - Hrd 7 - HP 8 - 8 lb - B

War Maul, Heavy - 10sp - 2d8 - x3 – AP 9 - 0' - Hrd 7 - HP 8 - 10 lb - B

BTW I suggest that realistically (ie, to avoid too much cheesiness) a 'war maul' like Thorgrim's to be usable would have a mostly wood or possibly stone head, faced in metal, not solid metal. That's certainly what I thought it was when I saw the movie! 8)

edit: oh, I also think AP9 is way too high for this weapon. It certainly should be no higher than that of a bardiche, which is a big hunk of metal on the end of a stick, but also has a curved blade for superior penetration.

Back