NEW WEAPONS

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
NEW WEAPONS
I am compiling a list of new, converted and/or revised weapons for use in Conan. Please critique them and feel free to add your own; I will incorporate the best of them into this main post for ease of reference.

NEW WEAPONS (REVISED)
This incorporates "Speaker To Dreamworlds" invaluable input and adds the Net to Exotic Ranged Weapons. I made a couple small tweaks to his work, but the only ones I remember was lowering the cost of the light morning star and making the heavy morningstar two-handed.

SIMPLE WEAPONS
Light Melee Weapons

Sap: 1 sp, Dmg 2d10 subdual, Crit 20/x3, AP 0, Rng 0, Hard 0, HP 1, Wt 2 lb., Type Bludgeoning
Special: A sap only deals subdual damage. It is only useful if the target's head can be struck with a sneak or surprise attack. A helm reduces the sap's damage to 1 point of subdual (+ Strength modifier). Any target whose unhelmeted head is struck must make a Fortitide save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or be rendered unconscious for 1d4 minutes.

One-Handed Melee Weapons
Morningstar, Light - 2 sp - 1d8 - x3 - AP0 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP3 - 2.5 lb – B/P

Sickle: This is a farmer's weapon. Because of the weapon's shape, you can use it to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your your own trip attempt, you can drop the sickle to avoid being tripped.
Cost 6 sp, Dmg 1d6, Crit 20/x2, AP 1, Rng 0, Hard 7, HP 3, Wt 2 lb., Type Slashing

Two-Handed Melee Weapons
Morningstar, Heavy - 3 sp - 1d10 - x3 - AP2 - Hrd7 - HP5 - 4 lb – B/P

Scythe: This is the standard farm implement that focuses tremendous force on the sharp point, allowing devastating slashes. Because of the weapon's shape, you can use it to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your your own trip attempt, you can drop the scythe to avoid being tripped.
18 sp, Dmg 2d4, Crit 20/x4, AP 2, Rng 0, Hard 7, HP 10, Wt 10 lb., Type Slashing

MARTIAL WEAPONS
Light Melee Weapons

Kama - 4 sp - 1d6 - x4 – AP 3 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP3 - 2 lb - P
This weapon may be used to make Trip attacks. The wielder may drop the weapon to avoid being tripped in return.

One-Handed Melee Weapons
Knife, Ilbarsi: This long curved knife, common among the hillmen of the Ilbars Mountains, is similar to the Zhaibar knife.
25 sp, Dmg 1d10, Crit 19-20/x2, AP 1, Rng 0, Hard 8, HP 5, Wt 2 lb., Type Slashing.

Rapier - 200 sp - 1d8 - 18-20(x2) – AP 4 - 0' - Hrd10 - HP5 - 3 lb - S or P - Finesseable

Two-Handed Melee Weapons
Bec-de-corbin - 10 sp - 1d8 - x3 – AP 11 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP8 - 6 lb. - B or P

Estoc (Two-Handed Rapier) - 200 sp - 2d8 - 18-20(x2) - AP6 - 0' - Hrd10 - HP8 - 4 lb - P - Finesseable

War Maul - 8sp - 2d6 - x3 – AP 6 - 0' - Hrd 7 - HP 8 - 8 lb - B
An eight pound hammerhead on a stick. Adapted for war from implements used to pound in stakes, split firewood and crush rocks.

War Maul, Heavy - 10sp - 2d8 - x3 – AP 9 - 0' - Hrd 7 - HP 8 - 10 lb - B
A ten pound hammerhead on a stick. Adapted for war from implements used to pound in stakes, split firewood and crush rocks.

EXOTIC WEAPONS
One-Handed Melee Weapons

Cat-O-Nine Tails or Scourge: A cat-o'-nine-tails (nine tailed light whip) or scourge (three tailed barbed light whip) can be used to torture captives; doing so adds a +2 bonus to all Profession (Torturer) checks. Neither of these lighter versions of the whip can damage anyone with DR 1 or better.
1 sp, Dmg 1 point lethal + 1d4 subdual on unarmoured opponents, Crit 20/x2, AP 0, Rng 0, Hard 2, HP 0, Wt 1 lb, Type Slashing

Flail, light - 1d8 - x3 – AP 3 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP4 - 2.5 lb - B – Special: Spinning Attack - 1d10 - x3 - AP4

Flail, Heavy - 1d10 - x3 – AP 5 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP5 - 4 lb - B – Special: Spinning Attack - 1d12 - x3 - AP6

Two-Handed Melee Weapons
Flail, Great - 2d10 - x3 – AP 6 - 0' - Hrd7 - HP10 - 7 lb - B – Special: Spinning Attack - 2d12 - x3 - AP7

Ranged Weapons
Bamula Hunting Bow: This heavy composite bow is used by warriors of the Bamula tribe to hunt dangerous game such as lions.
20 sp, Dmg 1d10, Crit 19-20/x2, AP 2*, Hard 5, HP 3, Rng 70 ft., Wt 3 lb., Type Piercing

Blowgun: This weapon requires two hands to use. Loading a blowgun is a move equivalent action that provokes attacks of opportunity. The blowgun has a maximum range of five range increments. Blowguns are common in Antillia but unknown elsewhere.
20 sp, Dmg 1, Crit 20/x2, AP 0*, Hard 5, HP 3, Rng 10, Wt 2 lb., Type Piercing. Blowgun Darts (10): 1 sp, Wt .5 lb.

Bolas: A set of bolas consists of two or three heavy wooden spheres connected by lengths of cord. Bolas only deal subdual damage. Because the bolas can wrap around to grapple an enemy's leg, wrist, or neck, you can use this weapon to make a ranged trip attack against an opponent. You can't be tripped during your trip attempt when using a set of bolas.
5 sp, Dmg 1d6 subdual, Crit 20/x2, AP 0*, Hard 0, HP 1, Rng 10 ft., Wt 2 lb., Type Bludgeoning

Bolas, Barbed: The barbed bolas is similar to a normal bolas, except that its weighted balls are studded with hooked barbs. The barbed bolas function identically to the bolas except that its damage is not subdual damage. In addition, on any failed attempt to break or wriggle free, the grappled character takes an additional 1d4 points of damage.
10 sp, Dmg 1d6, Crit 20/x2, AP 0*, Hard 0, HP 1, Rng 10 ft., Wt 2 lb., Type Bludgeoning and Slashing

Net – 20 sp – n/a – n/a – n/a – 10 ft. – Hard 2 – HP 5 – 6 lb., Type: n/a. See 3.5 PHB for special rules.

FLAIL RULES:
1 – Flails suffer a -2 penalty to initiative.
2 - Characters with only a Flail who attempt to Parry, and characters who try to Parry an attack by a Flail, suffer a -4 penalty to their Parry DV.
3 - Despite other rules allowing all weapons to use a Finesse Attack, a Flail may never do so.
4 - In the case where the wielder of a flail suffers a Critical Failure, (should such rules be in use) the result is always that the Flail wielder hits himself with his own weapon.
5 - As a Standard Action, a character may use a Flail to make a special Spinning Attack.

NOTES:
Bec-de-corbins may be set to receive a charge.
Lances double their AP value when used in a mounted charge or when set to receive a charge.
Pikes double their AP value when set to receive a charge.
Spears double their AP when used in a charge on foot or when set to receive a charge.
Swords all grant their wielder a +1 bonus to Parry.
Swords may be created with basket hilts that prevent them from being disarmed for an extra 25 sp to cost.

NEW FEATS
MASTER OF FLAILS (General, Soldier)
Prerequisite: Proficiency with any Flail-type weapon. Weapon Focus with any Flail-type weapon. BAB+6
Benefit: The Character may make a Spinning Attack with any Flail for which he has Weapon Focus as an Attack Action.
Normal: Making a Spinning Attack with a Flail-type weapon is a Standard Action.

[EDIT] Added Barbed Bolas, Blowgun, Cat-O-Nine-Tails/Scourge. Revised War Maul damage and AP. Incorporated other poster's weapons: Bamula Hunting Bow, Rapier. Revised Flail and Heavy Flail hardness & hit points, added shield DV reduction, Initiative penalty, and made them Exotic.

[EDIT] Added revised versions of lances and pike (from other thread).

[EDIT] Added Ilbarsi Knife (similar to the Zhaibar Knife).

[EDIT] Upped critical multiplier on the morningstar per suggestion. Revised how the sap works (added Fort save). Altered weight of war maul from 30 lb. to 9 lb. per suggestion.

[EDIT] Incorporated input from Speaker To Dreamworlds (from page 2), including many revisions or total rewrites of blowgun, flail, morningstar, sickle, scythe, war maul. Added Bec-de-Corbin, Estoc, Net. Removed Thorgrim's Hammer as being too unworkable and unrealistic (replaced with heavy war maul).

[EDIT] Changed rapier damage to 1d8, Crit 18-20/x2.

[EDIT] Revised mistakes in both war maul listings.

1-H MELEE WEAPONS
Rapier:
100 sp, Dmg 1d8, Crit 18-20/x2, AP 2, Rng 0, Hard 10, HP 3, Wt 2 lb., Type Piercing
Special: The Rapier's protective hilt grants a +2 bonus to resist being Disarmed. You may make Finesse attacks with a Rapier.

EDIT: Bumped price up from 75sp to 100sp to reflect the expense of the hilt.

EXOTIC RANGED WEAPONS
Bamula Hunting Bow:
This heavy composite bow is used by warriors of the Bamula tribe to hunt dangerous game such as lions.
25 sp, Dmg 1d12, Crit 20/x3, AP 3*, Hard 5, HP 3, Rng 70 ft., Wt 4 lb., Type Piercing

Conan uses this bow during his flight across the plains of Kush, after his attempt to weld the Bamulas into his own personal fighting force is thwarted by the tribe's shamans.

Johannixx said:
Conan uses this bow during his flight across the plains of Kush, after his attempt to weld the Bamulas into his own personal fighting force is thwarted by the tribe's shamans.

Which story Johannixx?

Yokiboy said:
Johannixx said:

Which story Johannixx?

I don't remember the name offhand, and it might be a deCamp story (it was in my old 60's Ace paperbacks), but it's after Conan leaves the Black Kingdoms and is chased by lions. He finds a citadel of strange, unnatural proportions and takes a nap. A bunch of Stygian slavers also arrives to shelter from the storm, and a bunch of ghosts merge together into a slavering monstrosity and start eating them. Conan escapes.

Iron_Chef,

Need to change something about that War Maul. Either decrease the weight to 10 lbs, or increase the damage to 2d12 and even that would be low. 10 lbs at the end of a 5' shaft would be hard for anyone to control.

With a 20 lb sledge hammer on a 30" handle, I can completely dent a 1/4" piece of steel, not iron, steel. Complete dent means the impression of the face of the hammer is transposed to the non-hit side. That is me, with in Conan terms a 14 or 15 Str. With a simple 8 lb sledge I can break my own leg (been there done that) without a full swing.

Being gracious, a 30 lb maul would be 25 lb of head weight on 5' of shaft. The impact of that from a person swinging it with a 17 str would pretty much kill/maim anything it hit from the mere force of the blow. Figuring a 4" diameter contact area, your psi is enough to rip through 1/8" steel and beyond. Course, if you thinking that big ol wooden maul i.e. Conan the Barbarian then the psi goes down. But still did you see what it did to that solid marble column? :wink:

Murte said:
Iron_Chef,

Need to change something about that War Maul. Either decrease the weight to 10 lbs, or increase the damage to 2d12 and even that would be low. 10 lbs at the end of a 5' shaft would be hard for anyone to control.

With a 20 lb sledge hammer on a 30" handle, I can completely dent a 1/4" piece of steel, not iron, steel. Complete dent means the impression of the face of the hammer is transposed to the non-hit side. That is me, with in Conan terms a 14 or 15 Str. With a simple 8 lb sledge I can break my own leg (been there done that) without a full swing.

Being gracious, a 30 lb maul would be 25 lb of head weight on 5' of shaft. The impact of that from a person swinging it with a 17 str would pretty much kill/maim anything it hit from the mere force of the blow. Figuring a 4" diameter contact area, your psi is enough to rip through 1/8" steel and beyond. Course, if you thinking that big ol wooden maul i.e. Conan the Barbarian then the psi goes down. But still did you see what it did to that solid marble column? :wink:

Game balance is an issue, I'm trying to create a devastating weapon with high AP, but not the end-all, be-all of melee. I've lowered the crit multiplier, raised the AP, and changed the damage to 2d12. Also imposed a -2 penalty to attack rolls and initiative (unwieldy) for Medium creatures even with the Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

War Maul (Revised): 100 sp, 2d12/x2, AP 9, 30 lb., Hardness 8, Hit Points 10, Bludgeoning, Reach: 5 ft.

The war maul is a five foot warhammer that is too heavy to use for an untrained Medium creature, even with two hands. In fact, a creature must have a minimum Strength score of 17 to even wield one effectively at all. A Medium creature with the Exotic Weapon Proficiency and Strength 17+ can wield the war maul with two hands at -2 penalty to attack rolls and initiative. A Medium creature using the war maul without the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat not only suffers a -4 penalty to attack rolls, but also to initiative. A Large creature can use a war maul with two hands as a martial weapon without penalty, or with one hand as an exotic weapon with a -2 penalty to attack rolls and initiative. A Large creature without the Exotic Weapon Proficiency who uses the war maul in one hand suffers the standard -4 penalty to its attack rolls.

Hey Chef, that heavy flail looks a little beefy. It's 2d10 damage, same hardness and damage as a greatsword, better AP, trip/disarm weapon, and it's only a martial? I'd drop it down to 2d8 at least ;)

Okay, 2d8 it is. It's kind of hard to convert things to Conan... :?

What do you think of the sap? It does 1d6 in D&D, but who's gonna get knocked out by that? I made it insanely dangerous for Conan because Conan is always getting knocked out, and now your PCs can be, too! :twisted:

Iron_Chef said:
Okay, 2d8 it is. It's kind of hard to convert things to Conan... :?

What do you think of the sap? It does 1d6 in D&D, but who's gonna get knocked out by that? I made it insanely dangerous for Conan because Conan is always getting knocked out, and now your PCs can be, too! :twisted:

We likes it, Precioussss, yessss we does.

Ooh, 2d10 subdual seems rather steep. I know that adding rules may not be the way to go, but why not leave the damage at 1d6 and attach a Fort save (perhaps DC 10 + damage dealt) to a successful sap attack. Failure does something unpleasant to the victim, such render them helpless for 1 round, during which time the attacker could inflict a subdual coup-de-grace.

Part of my rationale for this probably doesn't belong in a gaming discussion, since it's based in the real world. While the human nervous system is a bit twitchy, it's extremely difficult to knock somebody cold with a single blow to the head. The one-shot knockout with a sap (or, worse, with the edge of the hand) is something that was invented for the cinema in order to move things along and not have the hero repeatedly pummeled before he drops.

Added Barbed Bolas, Blowgun, Cat-O-Nine-Tails/Scourge. Incorporated other poster's weapons: Bamula Hunting Bow, Rapier. Revised Flail and Heavy Flail hardness (down from 10) & hit points (up to 5). Made flails Exotic, gave them initiative penalties and allowed them to bypass 50% of all shield DRs.

Added revised versions of the lance and pike (proposed on another thread).

As for the sap, I just figured this would be an easy, scary way of taking out PCs. I'll think about the Fort save idea.

Iron_Chef said:

Couldn't those instances be attributed to sneak subdual or somesuch?

Merely, uh, typing out loud... :)

zero skill LPB said:
Iron_Chef said:

Couldn't those instances be attributed to sneak subdual or somesuch?

Merely, uh, typing out loud... :)

Sneak subdual is too limiting. Any person, even a lowly commoner, should be able to swing a sap and produce knock-out results like in the movies and fiction. I'm not interested in simulating real life where you have to beat someone silly to render them unconscious. I do think there may be a better way of provding mechanics for the sap, but I'm not sure how.

I've seen references in Howard's stories to an 'Ilbarsi knife', but I sort of gathered that it was pretty much the same as a Zhaibar knife. Then again, I always pictured both of those weapons as something akin to a Khyber knife, rather than the double-edged thrusting knife illustrated (and mis-labelled "Ghanata knife") in the Conan RPG.

Khyber knife:

ew123-1.jpg

Johannixx said:
I've seen references in Howard's stories to an 'Ilbarsi knife', but I sort of gathered that it was pretty much the same as a Zhaibar knife. Then again, I always pictured both of those weapons as something akin to a Khyber knife, rather than the double-edged thrusting knife illustrated (and mis-labelled "Ghanata knife") in the Conan RPG.

Yeah, I remember the Ilbarsi knife the hillmen used and think it was remiss of the designers not to include mention of it, even if just to confirm it is the same mechanics-wise as the zhaibar knife.

They may be saving it for another supplement. I do recall that it was supposedly 'double curved', which leads me to think it might be a kukri-style weapon, but then again I believe it was called 'three-foot ilbarsi knife', so perhaps it is another type of weapon.

Back