New Idea for determining Critical Hits

SylvrDragon said:
Actually, the only fleet that handed them their butts was EA. The Abbai, Vree and Drazi were decimated by them. They begged the EA to get involved because EA was the only they thought could stop them, and they did just that.

Hmm... I didn't see that - I was reading both Dilgar supplements and that didn't come up. There were some battles were they are in them in a small fashion.

"In early 2230, the Dilgar War began in earnest. The Dilgar made their first strikes at targets to the galactic southwest of Omelos, moderately developed worlds which had previously escaped destruction at the Dilgar’s hands. Many were just simple outposts or colony planets held by League members but a handful were independent worlds, without colonies or allies on which to call."

"The Garasoch heavy carrier and a sleek new strike cruiser made their first appearances in a series of battles which took the Dilgar deep into League space, seemingly unstoppable in their assault. It was during one of these encounters that the Dilgar inadvertently destroyed the visiting EAS Persephone. The vessel was merely returning from preliminary talks with a number of League races and, seeing little need to outrage the humans unnecessarily, the Dilgar at once apologised, taking the opportunity to placate human concerns about reports of brutality emerging from League worlds at the same time."

Here is the beginning of the war for the EA:

"EarthForce began serious investigation of the Dilgar’s war practices and offered protection to numerous League worlds. In doing so, EarthForce knew full well their entry to the war was close at hand."

"Where the destruction of the Persephone had been entirely accidental, the Dilgar’s next assault on Earth Alliance forces would not be. Moving in-system at Malax, the Dilgar discovered the system defended not merely by its own native inhabitants but also by a considerable EA contingent. Earth policy was cautious and voice contact was made with the Dilgar, offering them the chance to declare their intent. The Dilgar did so by opening fire and in a haze of bolter fire, humankind had entered its first intergalactic war."

Thats where I was getting my info. :D

Hm...I was thinking that the League had asked for help. Guess I was wrong. But the League still didn't beat up on the Dilgar.

There are various different takes on the Dilgar War - mostly taken from (as I understand it) or isnpired by AOGs work?I recently watched the episode that Deathwalker reapears in and their is very limited details on the war itself - no handy flashbacks for example. Like almost all present ship designs, the Dilgar (and most of their victims warships) are never in the show.

For anyone interested in a an epic telling of this tale I can heartly recomend LCs novel on the conflict (and some very nice ideas about what happens post war).

In this version the EA are the only ones (other than the Dilgar) who have both a professional war machine who exercise "total war". The Vree, Abbai, Brakiri and others have the tech (Esp the Hyach) but lack organisation, ability and in some cases the will. Of the League races only the Drazi hold their own and whilst less proffessional than the EA (but def the most effective League military) are a major threat to the Dilgar plans, inflicting several defeats. The EA have a few encounters with the Dilgar prior to their full intervention but realise they will have to fight them at some point and choose to do it offensively in League space rather than being invaded. At Makrab the initial recon squadron fires first to avoid discovery.

sorry that was way off topic.............. :wink: :oops:

Kaizen Zanshin said:
I agree with it being slower - it is nice to get it out of the way faster.

Okay - this should be the best of both worlds then, and it would make precise simple as well.

Roll 1d6 for damage as per normal. Precise works as per normal as well.

If Crits are rolled simply roll the them over and if any 6's are rolled (ie a 12 on 2d6) then you have a crit per 6. Precise should help with the re-roll as well. Thus +2 to Precise with crits and +1 with everything else.

That still gives the Dilgar the same chance as everyone else in regards to crits (even though it will be lower in general). To give them a better opportunity to score crits than other races would be unfair. The original 2nd edition rules favor the Dilgar in that fashion. In chess you don't play a move hoping the other player will make an error; Perhaps we shouldn't have rules that make it too easy for someone to strike a lucky shot.

Back to the original intent of this thread...

I've thought on this variant and the use of precise. I think Precise should only help for the initial roll of the crit - not the re-roll. If it did it would make it too powerful. Other than that - I like it and I think I'm going to introduce this to my fellow gamers in my area!

Back