New Idea for determining Critical Hits

Its not a D10 system, it is just a new crit table that uses percentage based numbers rather than actual numbers. So for example -4 speed changes to "50% speed". It means that big ships are hurt a lot less due to taking "one big crit".

Lord David the Denied said:
What happens where the crit effect is additional damage/crew and nothing else? 6,6 criticals spring to mind.

There is an effect on 6/6 crits - namely the loss of two random traits. This is rather a significant effect for fleets that are more trait reliant (e.g. ISA, Minbari etc). So, get hit with one of those you still take the damage, but you have a chance to stop the trait loss (assuming you survive of course!)

6/2s have no additional effects, so a crit save would have no effect on it.

The biggest issue would be 1/1 and 1/2s which are just -1 to Speed with no effect on damage or crew.

Regards,

Dave

silashand said:
While I think that would perhaps be better, I don't think Mongoose is keen on moving to a d10 system. For some reason game companies like the d6 idea. Not sure why really.

Cheers, Gary
Don't make Burger bring out General Zod destroying the d10 pic again.

We played a 5 point Battle Earth 3rd Age vs Centauri last night and used the base 4+ on the re-roll. There were about 25% less Critical Hits and everyone like it.

The dicsussion afterwards was that in a larger game it might make the game take longer, but I think this is the fact that people alwys buy down and have more lower level ships. I think with this rule, it might bring the use of larger ships back into play.

We also tried the 1.2v Space Station rules but bumped up the level of the station and added 2 Hard Points. Basically it was a Raid Level with 2 extra HP for the cost of a Battle Level. The Centauri Player did not have a chance to go over the 1.2V rules yet.

Anyway, more testing in a couple of weeks.

tschuma said:
We played a 5 point Battle Earth 3rd Age vs Centauri last night and used the base 4+ on the re-roll. There were about 25% less Critical Hits and everyone like it.

The dicsussion afterwards was that in a larger game it might make the game take longer, but I think this is the fact that people alwys buy down and have more lower level ships. I think with this rule, it might bring the use of larger ships back into play.

We also tried the 1.2v Space Station rules but bumped up the level of the station and added 2 Hard Points. Basically it was a Raid Level with 2 extra HP for the cost of a Battle Level. The Centauri Player did not have a chance to go over the 1.2V rules yet.

Anyway, more testing in a couple of weeks.
For most races reducing the frequency of critical hits will end up with more enjoyable games as you say. The real debate comes up with races like Dilgar who really need the crits to win.

For space stations, the v1.2 rules aren't really balanced enough to test properly. Check out the modified rules in the space stations thread for an updated version that everyone's working on.

and the abbai would take a serious nerf too which as most people think they are already weak would leave them on the shelf.
only thing I am in favour of is the redundancy stat for battle+ ships.

I'm really in favour of some form of redundancy too for Battle+ PL ships.

The only issue here is playtesting time...

Triggy said:
For space stations, the v1.2 rules aren't really balanced enough to test properly. Check out the modified rules in the space stations thread for an updated version that everyone's working on.

They are much better - are they official replacements ? :?:

I put a few rules questions on that thread :wink:

Da Boss said:
Triggy said:

They are much better - are they official replacements ? :?:

I put a few rules questions on that thread :wink:
Not official yet but the changes are all reasonable so there's no reason not to have them accepted.
Greg Smith said:
Triggy said:
The only issue here is playtesting time...

And convincing Matt to put them in.
You're right, that's the difficult part...

Just a thought - when rolling for each hit on the attack table instead of rolling 1d6 you could roll 2d6.

So it could look like this:

1-2 Bulkhead hit - No Damage Dealt
3-11 Solid Hit - 1 Damage, -1 Crew
12 Critical Hit - As Solid Hit, also roll Critical Hit

Precise could work as normal - or just make it +2

That should cut down on the crit's and keep game play smooth.

Kaizen Zanshin said:
Just a thought - when rolling for each hit on the attack table instead of rolling 1d6 you could roll 2d6.

That should cut down on the crit's and keep game play smooth.

The first unrevised edition had a 2d6 chart similar to this.

The problem was that you couldn't score ten hit, just pick up the same 10 d6 and reroll them, you had to roll 2d6 ten times. The game was slower because of it.

Now, your version does reduce the probability of scoring criticals, which as has been prviously discussed may cause problems for certain races.

Greg Smith said:
The first unrevised edition had a 2d6 chart similar to this.

The problem was that you couldn't score ten hit, just pick up the same 10 d6 and reroll them, you had to roll 2d6 ten times. The game was slower because of it.

Now, your version does reduce the probability of scoring criticals, which as has been prviously discussed may cause problems for certain races.

You can really only roll those 10 dice once, to determine charts, then it's off to separate rolling anyway...unless you happen to roll the same chart 10 times. Vital x 10 = :shock:

To be honest. I'd take a slightly slower game if it meant my Wars wouldn't be critted out of the game turn 1 or 2. lol

I agree with it being slower - it is nice to get it out of the way faster.

Okay - this should be the best of both worlds then, and it would make precise simple as well.

Roll 1d6 for damage as per normal. Precise works as per normal as well.

If Crits are rolled simply roll the them over and if any 6's are rolled (ie a 12 on 2d6) then you have a crit per 6. Precise should help with the re-roll as well. Thus +2 to Precise with crits and +1 with everything else.

That still gives the Dilgar the same chance as everyone else in regards to crits (even though it will be lower in general). To give them a better opportunity to score crits than other races would be unfair. The original 2nd edition rules favor the Dilgar in that fashion. In chess you don't play a move hoping the other player will make an error; Perhaps we shouldn't have rules that make it too easy for someone to strike a lucky shot.

This is from the supplement for the Dilgar War

"The Dilgar War did not involve massive fleet engagements between mighty battle fleets in open warfare. Instead, they were lonely battles against impossible odds orchestrated by the Dilgar to maximize their advantages while minimizing the strengths of their opponents. The first two races to be attacked, the Alacan Republic and Balosian Underdwellers were singled out for just these reasons. Both races were relatively young, possessing small fleets and limited technology which could be easily overwhelmed by brute force and the superior numbers of the Imperium war machine."

In general, the Dilgar attacked very strategically, killing the weak. Once they started going up against the big boys (The Abbai, Vree, some Drazi and mainly EA - Early Years) they got their butts handed to them, and managed to push them back to their own space. They count on surprise or overwhelming numbers in most battles to minimize losses.

Actually, the only fleet that handed them their butts was EA. The Abbai, Vree and Drazi were decimated by them. They begged the EA to get involved because EA was the only they thought could stop them, and they did just that.

Back