New Books and Old Books Corelation

iwakun

Mongoose
I'm just getting into Traveller and looking for my next fix. There are tons of Mongoose books out there, but I don't want to get something that will be included later in one of the new edition books.

Below, I've listed the new books and the old books. Can someone point out which books I shouldn't get because they'll be covered in the new books? Or which books I shouldn't get because they won't be compatible with the new edition? Or which books I shouldn't get because they just aren't that good? Which books should I definitely get? Assume that I'll probably get all the new books.

New Books
  • Core Rulebook
    High Guard
    Central Supply Catalogue
    Vehicle Handbook
    Traveller Companion

Old Books
  • Core Rulebook
    Book 1: Mercenary
    Book 2: High Guard
    Book 3: Scout
    Book 4: Scion
    Book 5: Agent
    Book 6: Scoundrel
    Book 7: Merchant Prince
    Book 8: Diletante
    Book 9: Robot
    Book 10: Cosmopolite

• Supplement 1: 760 Patrons
    Supplement 2: Traders and Gunboats
    Supplement 3: Fighting Ships
    Supplement 4: Central Supply Catalogue
    Supplement 5-6: The Vehicle Handbook
    Supplement 7: 1001 Characters
    Supplement 8: Cybernetics
    Supplement 9: Fighting Ships
    Supplement 10: Merchants and Cruisers
    Supplement 11: Animal Encounters
    Supplement 12: Dynasty
    Supplement 13: Starport Encounters
    Supplement 14: Space Stations
    Supplement 15: Powers and Principalities
    Supplement 16: Adventure Seeds

Can't go wrong with the adventures, campaigns and NPC books! I'd be wary of any of the major crunch books just yet.

Speaking for myself only here - I own nothing but core, and one setting book, and there's no way I'm buying anything else until 2e has "gone gold" and the landscape is clearer.

I know the official word is everything should be easily portable back and forth between editions, but I am an incredibly lazy referee and prefer to keep it 1=1.

Unless you pick something up on sale for real cheap, I'd say you should hold off on getting anything (at least what you listed there).

There are some new supplements as well as some 3rd party books that will make the transition easily. Anything with plots or story ideas would be safe. The core books, like the ones with ships in them, have less applicability - especially since we have no idea what the transition rules look like for ships.

I'm getting back into Traveller after a long absence. The very first RPG that I ran was Traveller way back in the early 1980's. Feels nice to be back.

I am on the fence on whether to pick up some 1e PDFs or just wait for 2e. If Mongoose had a nice juicy sale on all the 1e PDFs I would likely get a few to fill the gaps between now and when 2e is released.

Back