New B5 project - 'The Lost Tales'

Chobbly

Mongoose
Hi all,

Most of you B5'ers will have already heard, but for those that haven't there should be a small run of B5 mini-movies coming, entitled 'The Lost Tales'. The announcement was made at the San Diego Comic Con by JMS.

There's some other stuff too, like the potential 'Rising Stars' series, but for the B5 bit, the link is here..... JMS News forum

Chobbly

Chobbly said:
Hi all,

Most of you B5'ers will have already heard, but for those that haven't there should be a small run of B5 mini-movies coming, entitled 'The Lost Tales'. The announcement was made at the San Diego Comic Con by JMS.

There's some other stuff too, like the potential 'Rising Stars' series, but for the B5 bit, the link is here..... JMS News forum

Chobbly
Woot!!

Oh sod that- double woot!!

:shock: :D

It will be difficult to go back to B5 after such a long break but hope it comes off. I like the idea of shorter episodes rather than feature film. That will keep stories shorter & punchier. Hopefully less likely to stink like most recent- Legend of the Rangers.

Was surprised to see that would be 30 minutes. Would prefer the standard 40-45 minute slot. That would be short enough to avoid problems of padding but long enough to do stories justice.

Followed the link and saw some of the possible storylines- Sinclair as Valen, Bester vs Lyta and the Great Burn all sounded great to me. And anything wrapping up the Crusade storyline would be cool.

Cautiously optimistic that something may happen. But only cautiously so.

Crosses fingers and hopes for the best....
:?
Cheers

James

This is good news! Chobbly: thanks for posting this :D

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that this one comes off. I know the last few B5 projects have not gone down too well :? but after all - Faith Manages, so who knows maybe this time :D :D

DW

PS. Of course renewed interest in B5 will not do Mongoose RPG sales any harm :lol:

Aramanthus said:
Any idea if this is going striatgh to video, small screen or the Big screen?

Straight to DVD, probably. Warner Bros announced at the end of May that they were doing more in the way of straight to DVD releases. A lot of these titles were sequels to existing stuff (I think a follow up to the Dukes of Hazzard movie was mooted, but without any of the main stars). Direct to DVD cuts out the advertising spend, which means that a Direct to DVD title has less costs to recoup.

A TV network (over there in the States, in all probability) is apparently interested as well, IIRC, but I think it will be Direct to DVD in any case.

Chobbly

I'm a bit surprised that JMS hasn't done anything with B5 as a comic recently. He must have loads of publishers clammering up for creative-owned work from him with his sucess with comics.

DanteC said:
I'm a bit surprised that JMS hasn't done anything with B5 as a comic recently. He must have loads of publishers clammering up for creative-owned work from him with his sucess with comics.

There's the Crusade continuation/wrap up in the works apparently...

frobisher said:
DanteC said:

There's the Crusade continuation/wrap up in the works apparently...

Sources, man, SOURCES !

Where did you read/hear/ESP this?

;)

petitbilbo

petitbilbo said:
Sources, man, SOURCES !

Where did you read/hear/ESP this?

;)

petitbilbo

It was one of things that reared its head during the entire jms/Mongoose novels thing - on the newsgroups I do believe, from one of jms' posts

frobisher said:
It was one of things that reared its head during the entire jms/Mongoose novels thing - on the newsgroups I do believe, from one of jms' posts

It was mentioned a while ago by JMS - JMS News posting.

I don't know if we'll ever see it - JMS is more than a bit busy (having a potential Hollywood screenplay may have something to do with it) as well as his Marvel comics work, not to mention Rising Stars, Midnight Nation et al.

Still, given the three mini-movies it'd be nice if one of them featured a Crusade character (Gideon perhaps, as Gary Cole is not in the West Wing anymore as that show has finished :( ). Odds are though (I think) that the three mini-movie-episode things will be around the 'core' B5 characters.

Chobbly

Aramanthus said:
Any idea when these Babylon 5 Mini movies will be hitting the store?

According to the link in the first post, JMS's current plan is to to film in September, post production and all that complex CGI jiggery-pokery after that, and us to to get them Q2 next year. On the conservative side, I'd probably say late June or early July, perhaps a month later or so over here in the UK.

And, according to JMS, they are a 'go' - the project has been greenlighted. Yet another JMS News link

Chobbly

Chernobyl said:
Sounds cool. I wonder if WB would be up for another series...

Chern

I think if the Direct to DVD's work out well, the argument for another series may be stronger. I don't know if the 'Babylon Prime' thing which will appear in the B5 script books is still valid in the B5 story arc, but there are plenty of stories that could be told. Either way, its JMS time permitting, given that he seems to be Mr. Popular over in L.A. at the moment.

I want to see a 'Babylon 4' limited series, but that's just the uber-geek in me. If there is one campaign I'd love to write and run, it's that one!

Chobbly

Back