New ACTA group startup woes

Scipio

Mongoose
Got a bit frustrated so I thought I would write a few lines to get the dissapointment off my shoulders a bit.

For almost a year I have wanted to get into ACTA and have tried to get a group on the local club interested.
No one have however seemed very interested as very few have watched the B5 show with missconception that it's a poor Star Trek ripoff and that they are already playing GW-games like WHFB and WH40k.
A few weeks ago however I managed to lure some of the guys that have somewhat tired of GWs games into borrowing my B5 DVDs and (of course) they loved it. :)
About the same time MGP declared that they would discontinue the miniatures range so I understood that it was now or never as none of us is interested in playing with counters and also that we love painting and building armies/fleets with miniatures.

So we decided that I and one other guy would order a rulebook each and I ordered EA:Early and EA:Third Age fleets and he ordered a Minbari fleet.
The reason were that we wanted the rules and to have a chance to try it out and be able to decide which fleets and ships to order before it is to late.
Also we were four guys that had decided that we wanted to start playing based on reading this forum and S&P and another four guys that said they wanted to join in on ordering before the deadline _if_ the could try it out and if they liked the game.

As I'm more excited about this than any other game in a long long time I went overboard and also ordered a space-gaming-mat, plastic playing counters, the Earth/Minbari War source-book and started to printing and laminating ship-cards and we built 30 astroids and some planets. We wanted everything to look fantastic to convince the four borderliners that they had to join us (prepare to be assimilated).

I also thought that when we get the rules and can have a look at it I will complete a big EA-fleet of all the three ages and buy a Shadow-fleet box and a ISA-fleet box and possibly some extra ISA ships.

Today some weeks later I have recieved the first shippment of our order: One copy of the Fleet book.
I contacted MGP and they have been very friendly and kind but it turns out that the Rulebook is OOP and will not be availible until after this month (i.e. after it is to late to order any miniatures any longer). :cry:

For us this means that we can't demo it to the four guys interested if they like it until after it is to late for them to order miniatures and without miniatures they are not interested either way.
And for us four that already have decided that we want to start we will not get the rules in time so we can find out what ships we like to order until it is to late to order them and ordering blind seems like a bad opion. :(

Very unfortunate that I didn't manage to get the group excited about B5 and ACTA until it were to late...

So currently I'm very unhappy and unsure of what to do with this debacle?

Hmm I knew they were stopping minatures production but was not aware they had officially annouced the cesesation of the book production?

Da Boss said:
Hmm I knew they were stopping minatures production but was not aware they had officially annouced the cesesation of the book production?
No it's out of print and will be availible in April as I understood it.

you can check gaming shops for a copy of the rulebook, or buy it from wargaming online as a PDF.

return your earth minbari war book, it's first edition, and apart from the fluff, the stats are all obsolete. Derina has done an update which we are hoping will get published in S+P

also, may I ask why you cannot demo with only one rulebook? get a copy of courjesters cheatsheet, it's ace! one rulebook is enough for any issues between 4 players. Don't feel defeated, the player support for this game is excelent, make use of it and crack on.

Da Boss said:

they have canned in house printing remember, probably take some time to get the new publisher churning stuff out

hiffano said:
also, may I ask why you cannot demo with only one rulebook? get a copy of courjesters cheatsheet, it's ace! one rulebook is enough for any issues between 4 players. Don't feel defeated, the player support for this game is excelent, make use of it and crack on.
We do not have one rulebook as the only thing we recieved so far is the Fleet-list.

$17.50 pdf of rulebook.
http://www.wargamingonline.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/345
I always buy the pdf' now.

JayRaider said:
Buy the pdf? Print it out?
wargames online, mongoose front page.
:)
Ah ok, that could be some help, I do have to fix the printing issue somehow but that can be solved.

However I would have liked to spend my money on more ships instead of buying something that I already have bought.

yup, as for printing. Stick it on a CD and get it printed in Staples/officeworld/other relevant printing shop. stick an electronic copy of your receipt on just in case they get funny about copyright.

Good news!

We got the first batch of miniatures, the EA stuff but not the Minbari and with the rulebook situation under control thanks to your suggestions we will paint day and night and start testing and demoing ACtA for the first times during this weekend.
Hopefully all the new flashy stuff will hook the borderliner gamers and convince them to put an new order down with the rest of us in time of the deadline! :)

Thanks,

Roger

My friends and I also found out that playing on table with a "space background" also helps a lot to make it more appealing, so remember to build some kinda space to play on!

Omnipotent said:
My friends and I also found out that playing on table with a "space background" also helps a lot to make it more appealing, so remember to build some kinda space to play on!
Yes I think you're right.
I've ordered the 6x4 spacemat from Mondayknight: http://www.mondayknight.com/MKP-Mats-Plain.htm

We also already have made 30 astroids (pic of the first ones we finished):
IMG_0100.jpg

I've also printed and plastic-laminated the planets of varius sizes.

What about dust clouds? What size and how to best create those?
Is there anything else that would be nice to complement with?

Hi Scipio,
If you go to the forums 'A Call to Arms' first page, scroll down to topic 'New Player Resources - clutter free' - you'll find a wealth of cool stuff here, from ship datsheets to planets and nebulas.
Also check out Court Jester' site (he's done some amazing stuff) and as 'Jay Raider' put it - just download the fleetbook and rules, worry about the hardback later...:)

Hey, welcome.

For our clubs terrain i made a couple hundred asteroids similar to yours.
For our planets i've used plastic and polystyrene balls of around 4 inch's and am going to make gravity well sized templates of 3mm platicard for them to stand on.
For dust clouds i've cut out various sized pieces of 3mm platicard (similar to small and large flying bases but irregular shaped, glued sand to them, then dry brushed them blue.
Followed with dry brushes of metalic purple and green then used GW 'ard coat varnish spray to seal.
Then i resprayed them with 'ard coat and sprinkled with glitter, and sprayed again.
It sounds complicated but you can get a hundred done in around an hour or so and they look brilliant.
I can't show you as all the one's i've made are at the club, but trust me they work.

Back