Net against Mounted Individuals

poboy

Mongoose
First of all Hello, this is my first post here. I am currently running a Conan game in the Pictish Wilderness. My players and I are all new to Conan, but veteran DnD 3.5 players.

My questions are all regarding Nets.

1)The book says a net has 5hp, does this mean if you are wielding a light slashing weapon you can cut out of it, or are you limited to a DC25 STR check to burst or a DC20 Escape Artist check?

2)Also how would a net effect a mounted attacker? Would the net affect only the rider or both the rider and the mount?

2a)And if it only affects the rider what would be the str check to yank the rider off a moving/charging mount with the controlling line?

1) Yep. Hack away. Bursting reallys isnt' for soft materials. They typically have a low HP value and so are easier to just cut or crush. Hard stuff like doors and chains have more HP and Hardnes and are more difficult to hack through, so Bursting them is the better call.

2) I'd have to look into mounted combat, but I'd treat the horse as Concealment (maybe about 25%), and a miss as a result of that means that the mount is netted too/instead. I guess it also depends on the size of the net.

3) Mounted combat again. Page 176, but I think ther are expanded rules in either Free Companies, Hyboria's Fiercest or something. Can't remember rirhg now. It would definitely force a Ride check, DC20 if it isn't a warhorse.

1) I would say it could be cut by a slashing weapon. I'd probably half damage froma piercing weapon as piercing weapons aren't as effective against cutting and I wouldn't allow a bludgeoning wepaon to do damage.

2) Well I think it would depend on what the net thrower is trying to do. If he's trying to get both then I'd say a slong as he hit the higher defense than that would be fine. If he was trying to only hit the rider than I'd giver the rider cover. So a plus four to defense seems to make sense sinc eit would be harder to only hit the rider. A miss would jusy be a miss.

3) Depends. If he hits the horse and rider the opposed str check would be against the horse. If he hit just the rider it would be againstt he rider. I'd give the rider a ride check on the second count to avoid getting pulled off the horse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick responses! This will help alot along with the suggested combat tactics for pict in the back of the rulebook. I think my heavily armored players will develop a healthy respect for the cunning Pict savages.

poboy said:
1)The book says a net has 5hp, does this mean if you are wielding a light slashing weapon you can cut out of it, or are you limited to a DC25 STR check to burst or a DC20 Escape Artist check?

I would say yes, you are so limited, i.e., you can't readily cut out of it. Look at it like this, a net is basically a grid of ropes draped over you. There is no easy way to swing at the ropes to deliver the damage from a slashing weapon. Further, if you attempt to saw the rope with the slashing weapon, that will take some time, and maybe in a round (6 seconds), you might be able to cut through a link or two or maybe an intersection, but that will be far from freeing you.

As an extra note, the description says 5 HP, while the chart (in Tito's) says 4 HP...

poboy said:
2)Also how would a net effect a mounted attacker? Would the net affect only the rider or both the rider and the mount?

Probably just one. If you attack with any other weapon against a rider, just the rider is hit, so without more, I wouldn't make an exception.

poboy said:
2a)And if it only affects the rider what would be the str check to yank the rider off a moving/charging mount with the controlling line?

I'd make it an opposed STR check, like Grapple, because that's what it basically is.

Nets used in combat were typically made of chain, and that is consistant with the hardness/hp chart for breaking and bursting at the front of the book.

I couldn't find the net as a weapon anywhere. Where is it?

Sutek said:
Nets used in combat were typically made of chain, and that is consistant with the hardness/hp chart for breaking and bursting at the front of the book.

I couldn't find the net as a weapon anywhere. Where is it?

Good point on the chain versus rope - but I figured the low #s were due to being rope, have to check on that - plus I figured nets are used by more primative types, who would be using rope instead of chain...

The net stats are in Tito's, but I was wondering if they appeared elsewhere first, because maybe that would resolve the 4 HP versus 5 HP discrepancy.

Could be.

Chain is given a hardness of 10 and 5HP with a break DC of 26.

1' diameter Rope is given a hardness of 0 and 2HP with a break DC of 23. Much easier to cut through.

Nothing has 4HP, so that mist be some sort of reinforced net or something, maybe with pulled wire.
:?

Sutek said:
Could be.

Chain is given a hardness of 10 and 5HP with a break DC of 26.

1' diameter Rope is given a hardness of 0 and 2HP with a break DC of 23. Much easier to cut through.

Nothing has 4HP, so that mist be some sort of reinforced net or something, maybe with pulled wire.
:?

Lots of weirdness...maybe Vincent or whoever developed the Net stats will comment, and clarify as to the materials and the 4 versus 5 HP matter.

While the rope would be easier to cut through than chain, if it is drapped over you, you can't just take a swing at it and it cut it off of you though, else you likely would be hitting yourself! Not to mention the angles with trying to do such. A net is basically worthless if anybody with a sword can take a regular swing and cut it off them, plus it is not realistic.

Back