Negativity on Forums

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

We run a pretty loose ship here on the Mongoose forums, but a number of people have contacted me privately to say a few words. . .

As things stand, we at Mongoose do not mind negativity too much, so long as it is directed towards products and not individuals - if you believe something could be better about a game, we want to know! If enough people think the same thing, we are likely to take a serious look at the offending article.

On the other hand, we are expecting some people to be a little distraught at this time, as three of our main games ar e'in flux' at the moment. SST will be getting a new pre-painted line, CTA has Armageddon on the way and RuneQuest was always going to be controversial!

In short, if you are concerned about the level of negativity on the forums at the moment, I would not worry too much - as soon as these three games settle down once more, I am sure everyone will be sweetness and light again :)

Rurik said:
Mac V said:
A free M1A1 Abrams would brighten my day! :lol:

Not for use in RuneQuest I hope!
A Runequest modern launch????? ::hope hope hope::?

Seriously, thanks for the reassuring words, Matt. It is worth reminding peeps that a system like RQ (for example) which was much loved _will_ stir reactions, especially when new directions needed to be taken.

Thanks for this thread Matt, being fairly new to the SST community I have already seen my fair share of negativity in the forums. Like with anything you will always have those who want to complain and cause problems for others. I am glad that you addressed it though, because the constant berating of people is exactly why I left the Lords of the Battlefield forums and people acting the same way at conventions is why I no longer play Battletech at conventions anymore. The people running the games at the cons just let it happen. I like a good argument as well as the next guy, but this is about playing a game, something I enjoy immensely. I was really glad to see that you guys rewards good sportsmanship in your tournaments, makes the guys who want to ague and fight all the time show up less often. I am not afraid to say that I was starting to get fed up with all the Mongoose bashing and such and though I had not entertained the though of leaving I was going to contact you about this, seems like several others felt the same as I did. I can handle myself and can take anything that can be dished out here, but I know that there are those who can't or don't want to deal with it and will just leave, which is sad for those of us who enjoy the game and are willing to grow with it, not against it. Now trust me, I have opinions on some of the products and will let you guys know if I think you can improve on something. I have a few thoughts already, But I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

All that being said, I have been playing RPG & Minature games for 29 years and I would personally like to thank you guys for all the hard work and effort you put into the games to make them as enjoyable as you can for us. Now I will probably draw some jeers or kiss butt names for saying that, but I personally don't care. I am a fan of your games and of many others that I know take alot of abuse in the miniatures gaming community, but like you said, they will calm down and be the ones touting the games later, saying "I never said that".

Thanks Again,
Ron Purvis, A Loyal Mongoose Supporter

ive kept my negativity to myself, i dont like the idea of prepainted tho, but im not going to say a thing till i have a demo game, the system is what counts, but i honestly cant see myself buying any new releases barring the rules

Thanks for the words of wisdom Matthew, I appreciate the turmoil can be hard on you and the company too. At least most gamers only want the best for the games and gamers, so their hearts are in the right place even if a lot of comments are seen as negative. It's easy to stay quiet about the positives because we take them for granted. Just try to remember that if it ever gets you down.

Well I hope I havent been too bad Matt but gettign used to non-Frothers is always interesting.... :wink:

Nah, I noly want to be negative where I think it can help you guys improve your games- so when can we get some more BF;Evo previews?....

xeoran said:
Well I hope I havent been too bad Matt but gettign used to non-Frothers is always interesting.... :wink:

Nah, I noly want to be negative where I think it can help you guys improve your games- so when can we get some more BF;Evo previews?....

In spite of myself, I quite like the Frothers :)

More piccies for BF Evo (and something of a little presentation. . .) coming within the next couple of weeks or so. . .

msprange said:
In spite of myself, I quite like the Frothers :)

More piccies for BF Evo (and something of a little presentation. . .) coming within the next couple of weeks or so. . .

I think its because Frothers infect you with something, you just cant tear yourself away from the horror unfolding before you. Or maybe its our notorious "wit". Or the sight of Kev White laying into Trolls... :D

Good to hear about the piccies, I'll pop 'em on Frothers for you, they were (*gasp*) rather positive about the tanks seen previously (and even inferred that should the prices stay at reasonable levels there may well be a fair few purchases...). Presentation sounds interesting too. Thanks for the info.

Mac V said:

Down right evil making us wait.

Havent you learnt yet, all the higher echelons of the main game companies are evil! They always give you info and make you wait...

It's bee worth it so far. Just hope I'm as happy with the stuff when it actually comes out. The looks of these minis for the price seems almost too good to be true. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mac V said:
It's bee worth it so far. Just hope I'm as happy with the stuff when it actually comes out. The looks of these minis for the price seems almost too good to be true. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well I'm hoping we get 10 infantry for £15 or so. Fingers dutifully crossed.

Matt, you'd make a good Yank, 1st Amendment and all of that! But then, we based our Bill of Rights on your Magna Carta, now didn't we? :wink:

With what must be a great investment in time and money, I do wish you success with the new emerging product lines and rules.

While not exactly a different subject, did you see what I was able to whip up for a different way to represent Stalwart Bug Field Generators? With the new Power Plant kit from Tehnolog and a few other pieces, I was able to make two sets of posts up for the retail price of the new kit being just $17.95 US. Although I am sure you'll be looking at a more detailed unit in a PPM coming up, I thought I'd make sure you knew of an alternative/competitive way to do the models. I was not the only one to remark on how this kit can be used as I've seen others spot the possibilities as well for the kit on other forums. I'm just trying to help keep you "on the bounce" as the SST phrase goes :wink: :roll: .

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21332

msprange said:
xeoran said:
Well I'm hoping we get 10 infantry for £15 or so. Fingers dutifully crossed.

Most of the tanks we can do for £15. Infantry are likely to be £20.

Ah well...still £2 per trooper aint bad and tanks at £15 is excellent- that should sell you quite a few, after all TAG has their Warrior APC at £25!

Back