Mysteries of the Ancients - On PDF & Pre-Order

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
The new campaign for Traveller, Mysteries of the Ancients, is now available on PDF and pre-order!

You can grab your own copy here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/products/mysteries-of-the-ancients

Mysteries of the Ancients Cover.jpg

A request for help from an old contact leads the Travellers into the mysterious and sometimes downright bizarre world of the Ancients Hunters. Among the weird and often deluded notables of the Hunter community there are those who seem to know something concrete. Those individuals are convinced that something is coming.

Mysteries of the Ancients
takes the Travellers from the whacky Museum of the Ancients to the doomed planet of Calefaction, and finally to a showdown with agents of the Ancients themselves. Their guide is a horribly-written book, long thought to be fiction, which tells of an ambushed convoy and the survivors’ fight for survival in a wondrous technological palace. There, under the mountain known as Twilight’s Peak, the Travellers find their proof.

Something is coming.

Mysteries of the Ancients leads into the Secrets of the Ancients campaign in an epic story that concludes with Wrath of the Ancients.

So does XBNN (Yesteryears news - tomorrow) carry a show named Ancients where a deranged Solomani claims "The Ancients did this" to everything more complex than banging two rocks together without getting an appendage between it? And does the smarter part of civilisation roll their eyes and go "No, that was the Vilanie. Who where already established star travellers when your ancestors ran around naked throwing dinner plates and yelling For Zeus!"
Ancients Meme.jpg

In the Spinward Marches there at least two and possibly three old races that will have left behind ruins that may be high TL but not Ancient era. One of these we think are extinct, one may have descendants beyond the Imperium's border and the third... are to be found in District 268.

Hello, me again. I noticed some weird wording in the first paragraph of page 266. One sentence says "His forbears faithfully served their master whilst he was cruelly enslaved by his brethren and played an infinitesimally small part in Tellsadiu's escape". However, it was Tellsadiu's master who was enslaved, and then escaped, and I doubt Tellsadiu was even alive during the Final War, hence the use of the word "forbears". I therefore wonder whether the "Tellsadiu's" in the quoted sentence is actually meant to be "their master's" or something to that effect.

I thank you for your time.

My estimate: The forebears' life was different to his. They toiled happily, but he got stuck in manacles and the cage by his brethren when not in use, something like that. Neither he nor his brethren were members of the set of forebears. And he helped TS escape.

I'm reading through the module, and the art in the "Incidental Characters" section is kinda weird: every character (that we can see) has a cyber-arm and/or some sort of metal plate on their face. Is "incidental" code for "recently experienced an accident involving industrial machinery"?

While funny, is Aish Nirkha (p. 68) really supposed to have Persuade 6 or is it a typo? Skill level 6 is really quite extraordinary, something like Skill level of 3 or 4 would have gotten the message (i.e. joke) through, IMHO, while not making it so over the top.

I'm reading through the module, and the art in the "Incidental Characters" section is kinda weird: every character (that we can see) has a cyber-arm and/or some sort of metal plate on their face. Is "incidental" code for "recently experienced an accident involving industrial machinery"?
I hope it is incidental, because that part of Charted Space seems to be particularly dangerous.

While funny, is Aish Nirkha (p. 68) really supposed to have Persuade 6 or is it a typo? Skill level 6 is really quite extraordinary, something like Skill level of 3 or 4 would have gotten the message (i.e. joke) through, IMHO, while not making it so over the top.
I think he could have had it up to Persuade 7, but somebody managed to talk him out of it.

Cut and paste error: Giiala Larkhen (p 48) and Luude Pinrosaqu (p 49) have identical skills, except that Luude's Vacc Suit level is cut off.
Additionally, on page 115 Caroline Lidu and Dan Kepaku have the same traits and skills.

Last edited:
I'm still reading through the book, but it looks like a fun campaign with plenty of opportunity for the referee to annoy the players with crazed conspiracy theorists. I have one minor complaint, the description of the Garnette says that the workshop, probe drones and air/raft have been replaced with other facilities but the deck plan on p 77 is the same as the one in the core rulebook and High Guard, which is a bit of a waste.

I've been slowly reading through this and I must say, I am very, very impressed. Even an old Traveller grognard (did someone say 'jaded curmudgeon', I heard you!) can be pleasantly surprised it seems. I really like this campaign and this makes me extra excited to see what Wrath of the Ancients ends up being. Kudos to all involved in the making of MotA - writing, art, everything. Two thumbs up!

Back