Mongoose's 6mm game

Mage

Mongoose
This is mentioned in the blog, and possibly a few other places, I'm a little out of touch with up to date news.

Is it me, or does a 6mm miniature game just sounds like another face-palm incident with mongoose up there with: the in-house printing, pre-painted miniatures, and everything else?

I mean, miniatures game are great, and I want a 28mm game, and I know a lot of time goes into it with prodcution, quality and design, but does a 6mm game represent a bit of a risk, considering that most miniatures gamers do not play in that scale?

I can but only agree!

And let's be honest, there are other companies out there who are already producing them at a very high quality.

To make in-roads into this market, they will have to be something very special to get my attention!

Happy Gaming for 2011 :D

Give this one a chance, chaps - it _is_ different to anything we have done before, but with good reason. We looked at doing 15mm or 10mm with this rules set, but 6mm is going to allow us to provide you with a HUGE amount of variety in the game, while making it extremely inexpensive to get into.

And the gameplay itself is _awesome_ :)

I made a big long post about my thoughts to each persons post and replied individually, but then lost it when my internet hiccupped. Drats...

@ Digger

I agree, but mongoose have done this before with bringing back runequest and traveller, and SST was a good game, not to mention surviving a recession. They have it in them to do this.

@ shotgun-toting chipmunk

I fail to see the link between this mystery game and battletech, unless you are 'in the know' or have some piece of info that I'm not aware of.

Personally, I do not like battletech. I like the models, but the game is so boring...

@ msprange

I am curious, and will watch with anticipation, but I'm firmly dug in with sticking with my scale, and feel most gamers don't do 6 mm. While being cheap is good, I am not sure its enough people will be drawn in by that. Then again, if its the right license and done right, that may not be the case.

@ Armydillo978

I don't think prepaints are a good idea. It nearly killed mongoose (an exaggeration, I know) and seem to have been a contributary factor in the end of rackham. While some people like prepaints, most gamers do not, and I do not think it would be compatibale with the mongoose aim of making it inexpensive.

As for clues, I have heard none, but imagine more coming out with planet mongoose posts, and hearing more once the license, if any, becomes more solidified and production gets closer to completion.

@ Troll66

Microgaming, thats funny :)

If they hadn't already said they weren't getting Star Wars, I'd have gotten my hopes up for a 6mm SW game. I can image some awesome large scale clone war battles. I'd love that! Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

We'll probably have a good wait before any hints, but the idea of clone war battles in 6mm would intrgiue me. It's a shame they did not get star wars...

I've been playing a lot of warmaster ancients and CWC recently, so 6-10mm scale is something I'm completely comfortable with, and CAD assisted design on 6-10mm vehicles could give some very nice miniatures.

15mm scale then turns into multi-basing or single basing of infantry, and there are arguments for either (every infantry base being a mini modelling project for instance).

This then splits into two separate issues -

Rules - obvious competitors will be FWC for smaller scale and the Ambush Alley future game for 15mm. It'll have to be at a comparable level.

Miniatures - where Mongoose will make the real money, will be based on several things - the setting and how many fans it brings in that way (if it is an established licence), and the quality of the miniature range.

I'd like to see another small scale sci fi setting with decent miniature ranges. I know Epic is still around, but GW like to forget it exists. If it is 6mm then I can use my existing 6mm terrain, which is great.

I find it interesting, but it isn't an imminent thing, like Noble Armada is, and if no miniature range has been started we won't be seeing it earlier than the Autumn.

Mage said:
We'll probably have a good wait before any hints, but the idea of clone war battles in 6mm would intrgiue me. It's a shame they did not get star wars...

Star Wars have never licenced any wargames (the West End RPG supplement was a quasi exception that was sold more as a big combat system for the RPG rather than a true wargame, and the fighter combat system had a similar basis).

I'd love to see it in 6/10mm, or 28mm, or a ship combat game. I don't think it is going to happen until after George Lucas dies (and whoever takes over fancies cashing in on the IP) or George has some sort of change of heart over his "Star Wars isn't about war" notion, despite the fact it is totally about war, and every film has at least one big battle in it.

To some extent yes, but how many people are starting battletech completely fresh, as oppose to dusting off and expanding their existing BT collections?

The thing that'll lure BT players is a quicker, but still relatively detailed system, a compelling background and a good miniature range.

Hell, a good miniature range (and possible some decent 6mm terrain) will generate cross over sales from people who are never going to buy the rules. Getting miniatures right makes success for the product line far more likely.

More chance of it being Dune i would say

emperor-dune003_640w.jpg

Just based on the Dune movie might be pretty limited, based on the novels as a whole would have a wierd tech level issue, including the prequel novels, sequel novels and interposed novels would be a nightmare.

Going from the beginning of Dune to the end of Children of Dune, taking in the Fremen jihad, might be a nice idea.

It is a well known licence, with tons of background material to use, but it would be hard to do it well.

It would be interesting to see it done, but I'm not sure if it could be done. Also for a novel with a religious war in, Dune doesn't have a lot of fighting larger than skirmish level (the Harkonnen attack on Arrakeen, the Fremen attack on Arrakeen, everything else is raids).

Well they managed it with a few computer games :)

How cool would it be,, ahhh yes your Tanks are no match for my mega wormy

Mr Evil said:
Well they managed it with a few computer games :)

How cool would it be,, ahhh yes your Tanks are no match for my mega wormy

And that would be the exact problem.

Anything without a shield can be insta-killed by lasguns.

Anything with a shield attracts a worm.

Giant worms are nice, but not a particularly well balanced unit.

As for computer games, they were a bit silly. Depends how hard SF mongoose wanted to be.

My Guess Science fiction base, several figures to a stand and if your luck it wont be a big license to make it cost alot.
But it would fit in with BattleTech or Mech Warior or other lines out there. Also there is alot of scifi terrain for scifi so that would be perfect.

Back