Miniatures and Temporary Army Lists

Thanks Hiro, ignore the support weapon stuff, kind of got turned around on that one, any ideas on points costs? :?:

Rick nice work on the Aussie stuff 8)

i think the Inf sections are short a guy thou, and the ACIW should be a little more nasty (may be letting it fire 2 times a turn, but not as a reaction) and give the F88A4 24" range to put it along side the M4 and L85A2

also, Aussies (note, this part is VERY second hand, in month or 3 ill be able to help out ALOT more on this side :p ) tend to split there sections into 3 fire teams

Section:
1st Fireteam
Corporal with F88A4
Private with AICW
Private with F88A4

2nd Fireteam
Lance Corporal with F88A4
Private with F89
Private with F88A4

3rd Fireteam
Senior Private with F88
Private with F89
Private with AICW

I reckon the section would be around 190pts to 195pts, (5pts more than the yanks, same about of men, better GL, more flexibility but lack of intel feeds)

Also i reckon Land 125 will not be up to the same standard as Land Warrior (but thats just me :D ) perhaps dropping the Aussies 5+ save and giving them 5" move would work?

Hi Chiwie, this was based on a possible future orbat I picked up, still unsure of the provenance but i'm still digging! I do know that the Aussie military is undergoing extensive re-organisation, and this may be the orbat for Aussie units in 2012. I had a choice to go with what I know about the existing orbat, or use a hypothetical future one. I chose the latter.
We may have to compromise on the Land 125, maybe drop the save to 6+ for the body armour, not sure about the 5" move, it's still as bulky as Land Warrior gear.
I had a look at the effective ranges of several different assault rifles, and I think thats what Mongoose used to work out comparable ranges in the game. Using those, the F88A4 didn't have the range of the M16, it was comparable to the AK, hence the 20" range. I will look at it again though. Good idea on the AICW!

i have to admit i like the old org better (being able to go into 3 fireteams would make them different to use than the USMC) is there any way to confirm your info?

by the sounds of it the sights going onto the F88A4 will bring it to the level of the M4 and SA80 at the minimum! :D the sights will apparently be 4x mag :twisted:

Yeah maybe keep Land 125 as it is, ive thought about it and i reckon ether A: we will buy or B: make our own armour that will be the equivalent to the yanks so 5+ armour and 4" move, i don't think we should get thermal sight rules ether, only one will be issued per section in 2007... (damn tight ass MoD!) Maybe a option would be to 'ditch' the heavy armour of the Land 125 and go for no save but 5" move while keeping the 12" command (keep the personal radios ditch the armour)? considering the Aus Army's traditional playground is the Jungle, and the realistic view that we will be a support fraction for the US why not use the Aussie infantry as light infantry supporting the slower moving more heavily armoured US marines?

Edit:
what about this pic for the a "Hiromoon" style unit card (which look :D )

20050516adf82396823684fm.jpg

I'm all for the USMC or US Army having Australian units. From a faction point it's certainly plausible by the BFEVO time frame that we will be a closer ally to the US over Britain. We may be a Republic by then and possibly had just had a battle against Indonesia over West Papua. I don't think Australians would have appreciated that Britain supplies Indonesia most of its weapons so it can commit its human rights violations and shoot at Aussie soldiers. The US on the other hand have already demonstrated their willingness to support Australia in placing embargos on Indonesia during the East Timor crisis. They stopped dealing with them after Indonesia committed a new wave of massacres using Hawk aircraft, Saracen APCs, Scorpion tanks etc happily supplied by Britain. By BFEVO, our alliance with the US would have grown stronger while that with Britain widened. Even now we're in Iraq and Afghanistan to support the US. If it was a solely British or European operation I doubt we would have troops there aside from training purposes.

Downside of orbat is that you lose the extra man per section, but the upside is that the entire platoon gains 3 manouevre support teams, so that it has the effect of increasing the section size to 3 teams of 4.

From what I understand, this will be the "standard" light infantry format, Mechanised or motorised infantry will be a variation of this.

I think this would be a standard infantry unit that would see service in Kerakhistan, we could go with a lighter variant that had the option of dropping the armour and increasing movement for other theatres.

The source is http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35810&goto=nextnewest but although i can find general articles relating to restructuring in the Australian Defence Force Journals, nothing specific.

As a quick update to the last post, I haven't been able to confirm the exact organisational details of the new restructuring, although i have been able to confirm that it is real, it is based on the principle of 4, and that its the 5th/7th RAR that is currently reorganising along these lines.

5th /7th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, will have a large expansion of personnel to support adoption of the Infantry 2012 structure and absorption of new M113 and Bushmaster IMV provided in the Defence
Capability Plan.

This was taken from a PDF on the Hardened and Networked Army initiative.

Rick said:
As a quick update to the last post, I haven't been able to confirm the exact organisational details of the new restructuring, although i have been able to confirm that it is real, it is based on the principle of 4, and that its the 5th/7th RAR that is currently reorganising along these lines.

5th /7th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, will have a large expansion of personnel to support adoption of the Infantry 2012 structure and absorption of new M113 and Bushmaster IMV provided in the Defence
Capability Plan.

This was taken from a PDF on the Hardened and Networked Army initiative.

ill go and edit the unit cards :D

Also, I've just found this piece from "The Australian", 2nd hand unfortunately, as the original article is no longer on their website. Still, interesting in a background sort-of way.

Revamp to create fast, lethal army

Patrick Walters, National security editor
November 29, 2005

AUSTRALIA'S army will be restructured into nine highly flexible "battle groups" capable of being rapidly deployed to wage war or perform peacekeeping duties under a $1.8 billion plan to be put to cabinet's national security committee tomorrow.

The radical overhaul, the biggest transformation of the army's organisation since World War II, would see land forces boosted by an extra 2500 combat troops - almost 10 per cent - by 2012.

Defence Minister Robert Hill hopes to win in-principle cabinet support for his "hardening and networking" submission, which aims to restructure the army to cope with the more dangerous global environment.

It will signal a major shift from the army's existing organisation, based on light infantry battalions of between 750 and 800 soldiers.

The planned changes would see each new "battle group" -- about 750-strong and based on current battalions and regiments -- equipped with all the assets to wage war in the 21st-century battlefield, including artillery, tanks and helicopters.

New deployable army formations -- ranging from the battle groups to the smallest four-man "fire team" -- would be a great deal more lethal and nimble, better protected, and more adaptable than the army's existing five mainstream infantry battalions.

But with senior ministers still to agree on future real funding increases for Defence beyond 2010, Senator Hill is likely to be asked to bring another detailed costing submission on the army's plan to cabinet budget sessions early next year.

Senator Hill will also seek endorsement tomorrow for Defence's new strategic update paper, which backs the need for a bigger army in the face of global terrorism and nuclear weapons proliferation.

The army's goal is to create two composite brigade-sized units, each consisting of 3000 soldiers, equipped with artillery, aviation, armoured vehicles and engineering support.

This would enable a brigade-strength force to be maintained on operations overseas simultaneously with a smaller battalion or battle group -- a key goal set by the Government for the future army in the 2000 Defence White Paper and not yet achieved.
Under the changes, the army would grow to about 28,000 personnel, compared with its current strength of around 25,500. The army already has approval to lift its strength to 26,500, but is struggling to fill recruitment targets.

The bigger force would allow the creation of an extra battalion or battle group, as well as enabling hollowed-out units to become fully operational.

The army plan would also see all units "networked", with even individual soldiers given access to sophisticated communications and intelligence links.

Army chief Peter Leahy has argued that hardening and networking the army is essential if Australia is to retain a genuine landforce fighting capability in coming decades. The 10-year restructuring plan will also see some regular army units moving interstate, with the 3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment moving to Adelaide from Holsworthy, in Sydney's west, by 2012.

The new "modular" structure would be more agile and adaptable than the army's traditional combat units and capable of a wider range of independent operations as well as being capable of slotting into bigger fighting formations should the need arise.
Cabinet's national security committee is yet to approve a continuation of 3 per cent real growth for the Defence budget beyond 2010 -- an increase that will be essential to achieve the army restructuring.

Senator Hill has won a reprieve from John Howard for two of the three submissions he had hoped to bring to cabinet earlier this month.

The Prime Minister had wanted cabinet consideration of the Defence submissions postponed until next year, but Senator Hill successfully lobbied for the Defence update and the army plan to be considered before Christmas.

The third submission, on funding levels and the future defence capability plan, will be held over until next year, according to senior government sources.

The army plans to offset some of the cost of the restructuring plan from the sale of asset, including valuable property in the Sydney area. Army reservists are also set to play a more active role in the new deployable battle groups.

I think I've found what I was looking for now, all I need is to find out how the vehicles fit in with this new structure.

I don't think Australians would have appreciated that Britain supplies Indonesia most of its weapons so it can commit its human rights violations and shoot at Aussie soldiers.

Hmm, I wonder where the Indonesians got their F-16s, A-4s, Sidewinders and Mavericks from? Don't forget the US embargo was temporary and ended in 2005.

I don't think Australians would have appreciated that Britain supplies Indonesia most of its weapons so it can commit its human rights violations and shoot at Aussie soldiers.

"In the last ten years, most of Indonesia's military equipment has come from the UK. From 1994 to the end of 1990s Indonesia bought over half its military equipment from the UK. During the first three years of the Labour Government 83% of Indonesia's arms imports were from the UK. Since Labour came to power, the UK has delivered over £393 million worth of military equipment to Indonesia (see table below). In 2001 and 2002, the UK issued over three-quarters of all EU arms export licences for Indonesia, with the value of these export licences responsible for over half the total financial value of EU arms deals to Indonesia. In 2002 two-thirds of arms deliveries from the EU to Indonesia came from the UK.

The Indonesian military has a human rights record that few others in the world can match. It instigated and participated in the killing of up to a million people in a few months after the Suharto takeover in 1965, and went on to invade East Timor, where it was responsible for the deaths of around 200,000 people in the late 1970s. It also has a terrible human rights record in its operations in West Papua since 1963.

In the 1990s, the military killed thousands of civilians in Aceh and West Papua. In East Timor, before, during and after the independence referendum in August 1999, the army orchestrated a campaign of violence against the civilian population, which involved crimes against humanity and the killing of hundreds of independence supporters. Indonesia's largest military operation since the invasion of East Timor has recently been prosecuted in the province of Aceh. According to the country's National Commission on Human Rights, the martial law offensive, which began in May 2003 and ended in 2004, resulted in gross violations of human rights, including arbitrary arrests, torture, kidnapping, sexual abuse and extra-judicial killings. At least 2,000 people, the majority civilians, were killed. Hawk aircraft, Scorpion tanks, and Stormer and Saracen APCs were used during the offensive in breach (despite denials by the UK Government) of end-use "assurances" given by Indonesia. Currently UK-supplied Tactica vehicles are being used in West Papua, where serious human rights abuses are occurring."

This post will probably be deleted soon so read it while you can.

Chiwie: mod to the way I worked the AICW -
AICW - Range 16" Damage D6+1 - One Rifleman in each team has a grenade launcher attached to his F88A4. This weapon causes a -1 penalty to Armor rolls and will roll extra Damage Dice (but only D6 with no penalty to Armor rolls) against every model within 1" of the center of the model the first Damage Dice is allocated to. These extra models need not be in Line of Sight. The weapon may be fired normally as an F88A4 Assault Rifle, once per turn as a grenade launcher and once per turn as a rifle or, with a single ready action, twice per turn as a grenade launcher (reaction fire will stop the ready action).

Its a compromise, and a bit more complicated, but I think it will work. What it does mean is that if any part of the squad fires reaction fire, you lose the ready action and are back to firing normally.

And from what I've read the US and Australian govts are very interested in strengthening ties and military working relationships based on perceived shared interests in the Pacific rim region. This at least seems more practical than basing it on a shared history!

I've only just seen you're cards btw :oops: In my defence I have been a bit ill recently. Fantastic work though! If I can iron out the bugs in the 2012 list, could get Mongoose to put it in S&P!! :p

Back