MI Division Books

Would You Be Interested in MI Division Background Books?

• Definitely!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• No

• What's a Division?

• Total voters
Hi All!

Nice to be back on a regular, rather than intermittent basis!

I queried Matt with an idea I had, and unfortunately, my idea does not really lend itself to MGP's publishing schedule. Still, I like the idea enough that I thought I might not be the only one. Here's the idea in a nutshell:

One (or more) MI Division books. The first would be my fave, the 5th MI Div., headquartered at Fort Custer, MI, USA, UCF.

What I envision is the division background, details of assigned units, maps and 3D renders of the post, and some scenarios from the unit's history.

While I know this might sound more appropriate for the RPG forum, I thought I'd post it here due to the higher traffic.

Would you guys be interested in this project? If I get enough interest, I will likely have to charge a nominal fee for a pdf, and at that point I'd have to ask MGP if I could post on their boards. For now, I'd like to know what you guys think and if there is enough interest in this "fluff" project to make it worth my time.

Regards.

P.S. It'll be of the highest quality, since I'm a detail freak! :lol:

This gets a no from me. There are already way too many MI books (oh and don't forget the painting guide with it's special trait) and adding more books is just asking for trouble.

Is there a way to get some more of this stuff onto the downloads? Im still looking for a painting guide for the bugs on download. This IS the SST forum, how about an SST download section for a blank order of battle sheet.( an Army List form.) with all the other4 books, this form isn't even been mentioned. Why not?

I would say one book dedicated to the divisions. I like the idea of a really developed background. Combining it with past scenarios would be very interesting. They would need to be "historical scenarios," missions prior to Klendathu and maybe even some things before the Road to Victory.

Why would I suggest this limit? The story line needs to solidify a bit and progress. It seems that this division book would be a good way to make the "background" a bit more solid, then lead to future scenario books detailing things like the Skinnie Front and what-not. (Books like Klendathu, though not adding new armies and such. Leave that to army books.)

I just asked for this in the what should we do next part. As much as I would like to come up with my own units this is awesome because it gives me a base to start from and an idea of what unit patches, flags and what not would look like. This is great.

Dusty

Yeah, I'd buy it but I'd limit it to fluff, with no real rules etc. Also, I'd be more lickly to buy one book detailing several divisions, than multiple books..

A MI fluffbook would be good thing, but imo it should be exactly that - fluff w/no rules (apart for some historical scenarios), and combining the divisions in one book rather than giving each one its own (usually = repetitive) booklet.

Yeah definately.

I reckon it would be great to get some background on some of the untis. In addition to what you have already mentioned as including. Perhaps some reports on some noteable actions that the units have been involved in would be a good read aswell.

Anything that adds life and flavour to the game is good in my book.

shotgun-toting chipmunk said:
I would say one book dedicated to the divisions. I like the idea of a really developed background. Combining it with past scenarios would be very interesting. They would need to be "historical scenarios," missions prior to Klendathu and maybe even some things before the Road to Victory.

Why would I suggest this limit? The story line needs to solidify a bit and progress. It seems that this division book would be a good way to make the "background" a bit more solid, then lead to future scenario books detailing things like the Skinnie Front and what-not. (Books like Klendathu, though not adding new armies and such. Leave that to army books.)

You're reading my mind! As I see it, there are some CAP divisions that were assigned to the "Road To Victory" campaign, but the total force wasn't. There were still those units assigned to the Skinnie Quarantine Zone, units involved with smacking down those pesky Mormons :) , bug-hunts, etc.

Feedback seems to be going towards an all-inclusive, rather than division-specific work. So how about this working title:

"The Divisions of the Mobile Infantry: Heritage, Vigilance, Valor" ????

I'd rather see books targeting specific campaigns. "Road to Victory" would be a good title. "Along the Skinnie Quarantine Zone" would be another.

Each campaign book could focus on the division(s) involved and provide the background and history for which we are looking. I'd rather see that than say, "Wildcats: History of the 83rd Mobile Infantry Division".

The US Army Historical Center did a line of campaign guides that captured what I'd want to see. Focused on a specific campaign, the books provided details on the units involved and highlights of the battles fought and the troops that fought them. Splitting it between background fluff and scenarios would be a good way to capture that feel.

Sgt. Ray Ray said:
I'd rather see books targeting specific campaigns. "Road to Victory" would be a good title. "Along the Skinnie Quarantine Zone" would be another.

Each campaign book could focus on the division(s) involved and provide the background and history for which we are looking. I'd rather see that than say, "Wildcats: History of the 83rd Mobile Infantry Division".

The US Army Historical Center did a line of campaign guides that captured what I'd want to see. Focused on a specific campaign, the books provided details on the units involved and highlights of the battles fought and the troops that fought them. Splitting it between background fluff and scenarios would be a good way to capture that feel.

This, sir, is an AWESOME idea! I need to go back to the USAHC because I never saw the campaign guides you mentioned. I even like the titles...how about "On the Road to Victory" "Along the Skinnie Quarantine Zone" and "Guarding the Federation: Campaigns in UCF Space" for a couple ideas?

Aounds really cool to me, but I'd keep those as more of sections of one book, rather than a dedicated book. Again, regardless of the content I think that it should be limited to one book.

My favorite of the bunch - not to mention inspiration for my SST "Operation Kennedy" setting is The Admiralties campaign - Operations of the 1st Cavalry Division, 29 February - 18 May 1944. Well told stories with great gaming potential.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/admiralties/admiralties-fm.htm

Back