Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plastic Bases, Please!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

There are some ships out there with metal bases but this was only meant to be a temporary measure until our supply of plastic ones were restored. However, it seems at least some people like the metal ones!

So, I turn it over to you chaps. What do you want to see in the future for bases in CTA? Metal or plastic?

Not that I actually use Mongoose minis anyway, anything that keeps them in place on the table is good, so I vote for metal bases.

Of course, SQUARE metal bases would make a lot more sense, when trying to determine arcs.

Wulf

Metal please!

I've lost count of the broken plastic stems :(

Not to mention balance issues with a couple of larger ships (I really wasn't going to drill a new hole in the centre of gravity so I just had to live with it)

msprange said:
Hi guys,

There are some ships out there with metal bases but this was only meant to be a temporary measure until our supply of plastic ones were restored. However, it seems at least some people like the metal ones!

So, I turn it over to you chaps. What do you want to see in the future for bases in CTA? Metal or plastic?

Does this mean the proposed bases which "snapped at their weakest point" aren't going to happen?

If metal bases will eliminate the constant breakages I'll vote for them

How about a hybrid ? That is, a plastic base and a metal shaft (to keep the price down). I ended up replacing all of the shafts on the larger models as they tend to snap a bit more often than I'd like. Especially when you drop them :(

Metal bases would be more durable, as has been pointed out. How many of us have snapped a plastic base during gaming and sat cursing for half an hour trying to fix it so we can carry on playing?

The hybrid base (metal stem and plastic base) isn't great, as the advantage of the metal bases is that they put a lot of weight low in the figure, which lowers the centre of gravity and improves stability.

I'm certainly in favor of the metal bases, although might still use a few plastic bases on the smaller figures where there's less weight involved.

Please keep with the metal bases, at least on the larger figures. Pretty much anything at battle or above is going to need a metal base, raid ships vary, and the smaller ships might be ok staying with plastic. But if it's one or the other, go with the metal.

Metal bases would certainly help with the balance issues, as the weight drops to table top level. You would just have to make sure the shaft of the base does not bend easily.

Having just used a metal base on my new Omega, I have to vote METAL BASES all the way, at least for the larger ships (anything over 2" in length).

I voted plastic, since my EA shipe are doiing quite nice with them. It is only due to a not so good way of transporting them, that ocasionally a base breaks. (but i drill a bigger hole in the ship and cut of the small top of the plastic stands)
Now for, let's say a bin'tak (or an BFG Imperial Emperor class Battleship) I would opt for a metal base. (Yes My Bfg ships have them)

I regularly `rebase` my ships on the old AOG metal / plastic FA bases, they snap way less often. Big ships are then based on two of them like in the old aog system, with one of the bases designated as the `aim and shoot` stem.

Ive always based all my ships, even those Ive bought from Mongoose on AoG metal bases as theyre simply stronger joints, fit better due to the nature of the soft metal and dont snap randomly. The only downside being I have to buy them seperately and ship them from the US. The models actually COMING with metal bases though? Sounds great by me :D

In my experience, the plastic 'GW style' flying bases are things to be despised that are woefully inadequate to support larger heavier miniatures and have a tendancy to snap easily on even the smaller ships if not handle incredibly carefully.

So basically, metal please. Even if it puts the price up a few pence it would be more than worth it.

it wasn't the base itself I've ever had a problem with (well, maybe the size of the small base is TOO small... :lol: ) but the stem has always been the issue with me. thats why I've taken to useing brass rod exclusively...

Not voting since I haven't got a metal base to compare the differences.

Chern

Metal. Definately metal. Let us never see plastic again!

I also suggest selling metal bases so we can rebase our old plastic ships. :D

Back