Masters of War - Tournament Results

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

The tournament is done, the battles fought - now the results!

A Call to Arms
Tristan Lomas Abbai
Mike Johnston EA - Early
Neil Hopkins Minbari
Adam Powell League
Ben Allen Drakh
Stuart Berrisford Narn
Steve Wilson Minbari
Greg Smith ISA
Richard Carr Shadows
Douglas Hollowell EA - Crusade
Roy Oliver Minbari
Alexander Benton Minbari
Hashim Hassan Brakiri
Peter Perry ISA
David Rawlings ISA
Carl Woodrow Narn
Nicholas Kummer EA - Crusade
Michael Parkin EA - 3rd Age

Starship Troopers
Gregor Fotheringham Power Suit MI
Laurie Neatherway Marauder MI
Adam Holt Arachnids
Matthew Houghton Arachnids
Lee Upton Power Suit MI
Ant Evans Arachnids
Nick Robinson Marauder MI
Rob Alderman Skinnies

Well, mine certainly didn't win (came very close on two games) - but it was:

Morshin w/Nials and Flyer
Teshlan w/Nials
Tigara w/Nials
2x Torothas

Thanks to Greg, Adam, Hash and Trig for great games, and to Matt and Mongoose for a great tournament.

well i started off well with 2 20-0 victorys but then lost out to the shadows and drakh, damn seeing through my stealth ;)

i used:

3 teshlans an 2 tigaras

Really good fun and well done to all.

My Abbai fleet consisted of
8 Tiracas
2 Bisarias
5 Milanis

Generally it played a little slowly (as you would imagine) but ground out a 13-7 win vs Narn (6 Ka'Tans, 1 Sho'Kar, 4 Sho'Kovs, 1 Thentus), 17-3 win vs Minbari (1 Morshin, 1 Teshlan, 1 Tigara, 2 Torothas), 17-3 win vs Drakh (4 Light Cruisers, 1 Heavy Raider, 2 Scouts) and a 13-7 win vs Early years EA (2 Sagittariuses, 2 Olympuses, 1 Olympus Gunship, 1 Nova, 1 Hyperion). I'll give a few more details tomorrow.

Big thanks to Matt, and one of the best gaming sessions I've played in ages. Some fantastic players, and nice to play against Trigg, Greg, Neil, and LBH...all of whom, were good sports :)

Yes, thanks to Matt and Nick and all my opponents for a great day.

A couple of things I learnt today:

1) I probably suit EA better a s a play style, but I love WS so no change there.

2) Istrongly dislike my opponent having tons of initiative sinnks, or 'Skirmish' fleets as I call them. no offense to my (Race deleted - you may know who you are) opponent, I just hate my opponent having twice as many ships as I do :lol:

LBH

Thanks all to Reaverman, Alexb, Ben and Tank for the games today, it was good to put more names to faces and have a fantastic game with each of you.

It was only a shame I didn't get to do more of "touring the tables" as not one of my games finished early, particularly the final game vs Tank where all was on a knife edge and unfortunately we ran out of time. 5 VPs the other way and we'd have had a different champion for the day.

lastbesthope said:
2) Istrongly dislike my opponent having tons of initiative sinnks, or 'Skirmish' fleets as I call them. no offense to my (Race deleted - you may know who you are) opponent, I just hate my opponent having twice as many ships as I do :lol:

LBH

:lol:

I hate my opponents polluting space with plucked turkeys :p

Oh, and its 2.4 times the number of ships :p

Well I had a corker of a day and Triggy already highlighted my fleet but just coz I can:

1 x Hyperion
1 x Nova
1 x Olympus Gunship
2 x Olympus Corvette
2 x Nerfed Sagittarius :lol:

I had a 17-3 win vs 3rd Age EA: 1 x Omega, 1 x Avenger, 2 x Oracle
17-3 Win vs Shadows: 1 x Hunter, 1 x Scout
17 - 3 win vs ISA: 1 x WSC2, 2 x WS, 2 x Vaarka? If David hadnt continued the fight after Matt called time he would have won that as my Gunship got lined up on his WSC2 and he failed to dodge most of the hitts.
7-13 Loss vs a rdiculous amount of fishheads!

was a fantastic day and had lots of fun, especially as I only mader up my fleet at breakfast and everyone was really relaxed and looking to have fun, which is probably a good thing coz by the time I got to the 3rd game I was on a lucozade high!!!

Yep - there were a few close games for time, I think. Vs. Hash I was a turn away from hopefully getting my 40vp assassination target finally killed (I vote that, after surviving 3 turns within 6 inches of two Torothas and a Tigara, and a bunch of Nials, the Kaliva should be dubbed the Brakiri 'Juggernaut').

Against Greg I wussed out and sent my Morshin off the board at the first sign of trouble - had I not sent off my Tigara and Nials in the final act (we didn't actually have time to resolve that turn, so perhaps it would've been a good idea to say nothing!) we would've drawn even points.

I got a 13-7 win vs. the combined league (Adam) with 36 to 35 vp (killing lots of fighters saved me)

17-3 loss vs. the Abbai (I think everything got killed besides the Morshin)

7-13 loss vs. the Brakiri (so close!)

7-13 loss vs the ISA (again, 3vps difference - but excellent whitestarsmanship by Greg, those things are bloomin hard to kill, I only managed to get 1/4, my assassination target luckily enough).

my games even with only 5 models i outnumbered my opponents in all but the last game.

1st game - versus minbari - enemy had a sharlin and a teshlan
by turn 2 the sharlin had died and turn 3 one tigara killed the teshlan with just his molecular disruptor (6 hits, 4 crits).
20-0 vic

2nd game - versus minbari (again) - enemy had tigara and 2 veshatans
1st turn a JP bomb took out the weapons on one veshatan (which failed to repair all game) and i lost a teshlan to fire from the other veshatan. by about turn 3 i was down another teshlan to the enemy having no speed/no SA crits on both veshatans and had lost its tigara. turn 4 was pretty much taking out the 2 crippled veshatans.
20-0 vic

at this point i thought i could go all the way with my minbari, how wrong i was :D

3rd game - shadows (thru admin error ;) ) - enemy shadow hunter and scout
1st turn we engaged and the hunter failed to see me, did some fairly average damage. 2nd turn scout ran off but scanned a tigara whilst i got 4 ships firing on the hunter, took it to abuot 75 damage but the hunter killed a ship. turn 3 hunter ran off around the asteroids to lick its wounds. after this it was a minbari ship lost per turn as the shadows just hid so a teshlan made a tactical withdrawel leaving a tigara to slow the shadows.
3-17 loss

4th game - drakh - 4 light cruisers (and people say the prefect is broken), 2 scouts, 1 hvy raider
1st turn i lost a tigara and another criplped for the loss of a cruiser
2nd turn the tigara and 2 teshlans died, 1 to a 6,6 crit off the heavy raider (from fresh to dead in one shot) that also wiped out most of my fighters. we killed a scout (mainly due to fighters efforts) and damaged a light cruiser.
at this point it was time to retreat, damn shadow tech and their bonuses to scout ;)

well overall i had fun, i didnt expect to do so well to start with but the 2 wins got my hopes up. my techs have been fired for failing to turn the stealth on tho as my opponents only failed a total of 3 stealth rolls throughout all 4 games.

Great tourney as always - I took Brakiri:

1 Kaliva
6 Brikorta Carriers

Given that the odds gave 1/2 the games to be Assassination, I figured a big target (the Kaliva) needed to be tough enough to survive while the rest of the fleet punishes the enemy. I thought the Brikorta (with their 2 AD AP, Beam, DD Forward Arc Medium Lasers and supporting Pulsars should cause some serious damage....I was wrong!)

Round 1 - Greg Smith's ISA (4 WS, 2 Vaarls's, Wing of T-bolts) - 7 - 13 loss

Was a bit worried about the Nials, especially with the ISA CQ bonus to dogfighting, but figured the anti-fighter turrets on every ship I had (+ the interceptors on the Brikorta) should give me the edge...

After a struggle we ran out of time after I lost a couple of Brikorta and most of the Falkosi to the ISA and I managed (just) to take out one Whitestar - The WS was just really hard to hit with my weapon selection and I have a lot more respect for its survivability. Likewise the Brikorta really impressed me for their sheer resilience and the Kaliva was like a walking behemoth...it didn't get to fire much but, despite taking immense amounts of fire and crits, was not skeleton crewed or crippled...shame I couldn't do much damage to the ISA though. It was a marginal victory for Greg in the end but I dare say he would have pulled through in the end.

Round 2 - LBH's ISA (5 WS) - 13 - 7 win.

White Stars and Nials again!!! Well, pretty much a repeat of my first match, except this time I just managed to get a win (by 1 VP) - I only lost 1 Brikorta this time but again the Falkosi (or free VP for the enemy as I like to call 'em now) made it really close. We ran out of time again (about turn 5 or so) but it was very close - no idea who would have won out in the end.

Round 3 - Alexb83's Minbari (he posted his fleet) - 13 - 7 win

We lost a bit of time at the start as Reaverman took like half an hour to move his Narn bat squad off the table (lots of ships) to go to his next game so we could actually play! (I suggest Mongoose invest in a forklift to let Reaverman transport his fleet from table to table...probably need two for Triggy ;))

Anyway this was a fun game - a case of spot how much horrific damage hordes of Nials with insane dogfight bonus can do! I sort of knew deploying ANY Falkosi was a bad idea but figured it was just unsporting to leave 'em in the carrier cause I was scared of the big bad Nials and boldly sent em out to face the enemy...the Brakiri quartermaster wasn't happy :oops:

Anyway, I managed to pull through thanks to some incredibly lucky stealth rolls (I think I rolled a 6 for about 5 stealth rolls in a row!) which edged me over a few points for a marginal victory...another close game though and we also ran out of time. I think if we played a full game then Alex would have won through so again the time limit saved me...I was knackered though.

Round 4 - TGT's Minbari (Veshatan Gunship x 2, Tiagra?) - 0 - 20 loss

Again with the boneheads! I was knackered for this fight (having just 2 hrs sleep before the tourney to get things painted was not a good idea!) so about turn 2 I just had to concede, not very fair on my opponent but my opponent was gracious enough to let me appoint a champion (Burger, who arrived too late to take part in the tourney due to a last minute work commitments) to use my fleet in my stead . I accepted though that this would mean a 20 - 0 loss for me but wondered how my fleet would do...not very well as it happened! The Veshatan squadron had to assassinate my Kaliva and did so pretty much in one shot!

* Sigh * Oh well, it was fun and games and seeing Tank win a medal for second place was great - he's not allowed to moan about ACTA *ever* again!

I have to say, I did get my usual lucky crits in yesterday - two 6-6's, and a 6-5 (mostly vs. Abbai?) and a bunch of good weapon ones (I think 3 -1 AD crits vs Greg's Whitestars... unfortunately all on the same ship IIRC).

If nothing else, the stacks of AD you get with fusion cannons and Antimatter converters are handy for getting those...

Back