Final Victory Tournament - The Results!

katadder said:
not a beam in sight. on hindsight my hull 6 beam ships might have been better.)
Apart from the Adira, Magnus, 2 Tertius, Prefect........ :lol:

But agree with you as my fleet was equally varied...................

Da Boss said:
katadder said:
not a beam in sight. on hindsight my hull 6 beam ships might have been better.)
Apart from the Adira, Magnus, 2 Tertius, Prefect........ :lol:

But agree with you as my fleet was equally varied...................
He was referring to the game with me where Steve took two Vorchans, two Maximuses and two Corvans.

Alexb83 said:
I was a bit miffed that ship-borne flights didn't give VPs - it wouldn't have gotten me a draw in game 3 (it would've reduced it to a 4VP from 6VP loss), but still. It somewhat penalises those who take patrol points as fighters, because they're effectively giving away 3-4vp for a patrol point (even in raid and battle level games). I was killing Vaarls and they gave me less points than I would've gotten for killing 3 starfuries (same PL value).

Also, that by Greg getting a few thunderbolts from his (dead) victory off the table, I didn't get a 20-0 in game 3 :(

If the fighters dont count for VPs, should they count for denying a fleet annihilation? (I'd killed everything that was worth points).
Those are the rules in SFoS :?

I think most players were either saved by or lost points to the fleeing fighters rule (including my game with katadder). This is probably the silliest rule out there and I'd much rather there was a straight conversion from VPs to TPs.

Davesaint said:
hiffano said:
we could start a sweep stake on when you will paint them :)

Put me down for 10 pounds on 6/2012. I figure he'll get them done before the olymics hit London.

Dave

You know, if MGP keep up their good work with ACTA, it could actually be an olympic discipline till then...

Yep, and we had a 5 skirmish game of vorlons vs. shadows, too - like Matt said in the finishing remarks, Shadows are just better than Vorlons! :)

Vorlons were doing great in games 3 and 4, though - had we had 2.5 more hours to play game 4 to the end (it took us that long to play the first 5 turns), I think I could've happily made up the VPs I was still chasing after my heavy cruiser died.

My fleet:

23x Strikehawk
8x Vaarl
6 wings of Sky Serpent
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Game 1 vs John Wall, Centauri, I won 17-3. He had 4x Darkner and 2x Corvan. I lost a Strikehawk quite soon to his SAP beams, and our speeds meant we were soon facing opposite directions. My Sky Serpents finished off a Darkner and then another, while the Strikehawks killed a Corvan. The rest of his forces wisely ran away to fight another day.

Game 2 vs Ben, Centauri, I lost 3-17. He had the cheese team, 2x Prefect and 2x Corvan. We danced around a bit but the cheese team was just too cheesy for me to do anything against. Eventually I managed to ram a Prefect with a crippled Strikehawk, destroying it in a large fireball, and that was before I even rolled the 5th crit ;) He marked me down on sportsmanship fo using that move, which I think was a bit nasty of him. It was perfectly legal and in character with Drazi. I didn't do anything unsporting, and wasn't nasty or condescending about it. Ho hum, thats the way it goes I guess, some people just don't like losing ships despite winning the game.

Game 3 vs katadder, Centauri, I lost 17-3. Getting bored with all the Centauri by now. Well my 5.5 Raid points didn't stand much of a chance against his 13. Although 2 Strikehawks managed to distract the Adira by running behind an asteroid field, making it a little safer for the others to attack his Sulust and Prefect. And my Sky Serpents beat a Razik and a Rutarian in dogfights, so I was happy. My fleet really wasn't designed to win this battle but I had a laugh anyway. 2 Strikehawks managed to run away to save me from a 20-0.

Game 4 vs Alex83, Vorlons, I won 13-7. My 14 remaining Strikehawks and 7 Vaarls piled it straight for his heavily damaged heavy cruiser, before it could self-repair. The Sky Serpents were again stars of the show, pecking away quite nastily from 4". I couldn't kill anything else in the remaining time, but luckily he couldn't kill enough of mine to get enough VPs. I had 30 so he needed to kill at least 10 which was impossible without the VHC's SAP beam. Credit goes to Greg for removing over 200 of its damage points in the previous game!!!

I maintain that in 1-2 more turns the destroyers would've evened up the score - I had a few crippled and ready to pop and the rest of my ships were doing okay :)

That all-strikehawk fleet works really well in the overall attrition game, though - you can guarantee a massive fleet of tough ships will still be there in the end match, and all you have to do is kill their one big ship. Like you say, chasing 10 kills at 3vp each just to match one loss is tough.

Yeah a couple more turns and I'd have lost at least a few more. Although my Sky Serpents would have been eating Vorlon Transport Pie for breakfast ;)

Sky serpents aren't fast enough to chase transports without the urgent personality trait, let alone ones with it ;)

They were more than 4 inches away from the transports to start, and had an asteroid field to fly round - also, the transports were at speed 9 basic, and one had an extra turn :)

Well if you're running away from Sky Serpents, you're not shooting Strikehawks ;)
And what you gonna do when you get to the edge of the board :twisted:

The Vorlon fighters making my Vaarls stay in hyperspace were very funny! "We're not coming out, you'll kill us!"

3 fighter flights malingering behind the jump points - yeah, that was funny :) Only the vree really had anything to worry about - the strikehawks are vorlon fighter proof, really.

Burger said:
Game 2 vs Ben, Centauri, I lost 3-17. He had the cheese team, 2x Prefect and 2x Corvan. We danced around a bit but the cheese team was just too cheesy for me to do anything against. Eventually I managed to ram a Prefect with a crippled Strikehawk, destroying it in a large fireball, and that was before I even rolled the 5th crit ;) He marked me down on sportsmanship fo using that move, which I think was a bit nasty of him. It was perfectly legal and in character with Drazi. I didn't do anything unsporting, and wasn't nasty or condescending about it. Ho hum, thats the way it goes I guess, some people just don't like losing ships despite winning the game.

hmm I had thought the sportmanship was out of 5 so stupidly kept giving people 5 out of 5 :oops: cos they were all great fun.............

Burger said:

That's a bit out-of-order, in my book - ramming is one of the hardest things to pull off in ACTA, and marking you down for doing that is unsportsmanlike, never mind the manouver. After all, as all of the jump-point bombers have pointed out - "it's in the rules".

Hmmm, did he say it was specifically for that action? I'll ask him what was up as if this is true it does sound a bit out of order!

Triggy said:
Hmmm, did he say it was specifically for that action? I'll ask him what was up as if this is true it does sound a bit out of order!
Yes he specifically told me it was for using that SA.

Another reason why Hash's sportsmanship points method is the best! :)

Back