Final Victory Tournament - The Results!

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Judging from the Sportsmanship points the players gave one another today, this looked like the best tournament yet at Mongoose Towers. We tried a tournament with a campaign twist (see the download on the CTA main page for details), and this introduced some serious tactical play. It also allowed players to flex their fleets lists, from Skirmish level games, to those that allowed them to bring Armageddon level ships!

These are the results, hot from the event. . .

Tristan Lomas Minbari 76
Anthony Garry EA 3rd Age 74
Richard Carr Shadows 66
Steve Wilson Centauri 65
Ben Allen Centauri 61
Ken Chambers Minbari 58
Nick Robinson Drakh 51
Paul Davies Centauri 50
John Wall Centauri 49
Charles Lister Centauri 45
Mark Alliban League 43
Neil Hopkins Centauri 41
Alex Benton Vorlons 36
Mark Davies Narn 34
Andy Watkins Drazi 34
Peter Perry ISA 29
Greg Smith ISA 28
Lee Upton EA 3rd Age 16

Congrats to all!!! I wish I could play a whole day!!! :(

But aside, this is a nice way to say good bye to the old rules as we wait for the new rules.

Good to see that the Shadows took third :)

-OTSK

My fleet list:

Victory
10 Whitestars
2 Xixx
2 Vaarls

I lost the first game against Mark's Narn's emines.
The seconsd game I won against Lee.
The third game featured my Victory and five white stars, against the Vorlons and the Vorlon HC wiped out my whitestars and killed my fleeing victory.
Come game 4 I had 2 WS, 1 Xixx, 2 Vaarls. I faced 2 Octurions, 2 Primuses, 3 Prefects, covrans and more. It was a forgone conclusion.

Thanks all for a good day

Especially to LBH, you know why :)

We also got a good look at some of the draft changes to ships in the new edition of the rules. From just looking I thought the changes seemed pretty good.

Captain Kremmen

Heh. The much feared centauri's didn't dominate tournament afterall(well except by sheer numbers...). Highest one 4th.

OnlyTheShadowKnows said:
I am still surprised that ISA where in the bottom few spots. I thought that they would have tore stuff up!

Well ISA isn't at it's best in low level battles and also the white stars aren't best in attrition war...

Wouldn't be suprised if ISA players did ok in 1-2 game but then started to run out of white stars.

Of course other player was LBH with his 2 victory(?) :lol:

A great and interesting tournament - definately beats the 5 raid standard, I think as it lets some fleets who lack at low PLs show their stuff.

I was Vorlons - VHC, 3 Destroyers, 5 Transports, 9 Fighters

1st Game I got Triggy (again!) and made the mistake of trying to hide from Teshlans with transports. At least I got them both off the table, but they never fired a shot.

2nd Game - 2 more transports against shadows, I managed to struggle a 1vp lead for 9 turns on fighters, before sadly a transport got mobbed and died, lost :(

3rd game - Greg's ISA - 5 whitestars and a Victory. I lost a destroyer, but managed to wipe out everything except 4 Starfuries. Phyrric victory as the heavy cruiser took a 237 point pounding, and mean old matt wouldn't let me have my last turn's self repair!

Last game - Burger's horde of 16 Somethinghawks and 7 Vaarls. This game was a bit of a non-starter. By turn 5 he managed to kill the heavily damaged VHC, leaving me with a 30 point VP defecit to chase. Despite killing 4 hawkie things, crippling 3 more, and killing 3 vaarls, with it taking 2.5 hours to play 5 turns, I simply couldn't kill enough quickly enough, even with 2 destroyers and 3 transports and 6 fighters left :( The 21 ship horde is definately a tactic that can work in this sort of tournament (though perhaps not in the spirit of things?).

Low Roller 1-1 said:
Greg Smith said:
Well you can't win 'em all. Besides, I think Lee was just after the BF:Evo booby prize. :lol:

Thats slander :oops:

It's not slander, for the following reasons:

1) Slander is verbal IIRC, libel is written.

2) To be slander OR libel it has to be untrue :lol:

Ruled out on both counts.

My fleet list:

1 * VCD with Sheridan onboard
9 * WS
6 * EA Crusade era Hermes

LBH

well 4th place was a bit of a surprise with my centauri.
I had:
Adira, 2 tertius, 1 prefect, 1 sullust, 1 magnus, 2 dargans, 2 vorchans, 2 maximus, 1 darkner, 2 corvans.
quite a varied fleet with the dargans performing really bad and the magnus being quite a star.

Game 1: 17-3 victory
Captain Kremmens (andy watkins) Drazi-used magnus, dargan, darkner versus 4 strikehawks 2 sunhawks
started off well with centauri beams doing their thing. then for one turn it went horribly wrong when a strikehawk got 6 hits on the dargan with its beam and 3 crits including spd0,no SAs which allowed him to CAF the dargan next turn and blow it away, making captain kremmens day. he fled 2 strikehawks to save them but lost all his fighters.

Game 2: 3-17 loss
Triggys minbari - I used 2 vorchans, 2 maximus, 2 corvans (bit of fun really) versus triggys 2 teshlans and torotha that had been in his previous game.
hid my fleet behind a planet then turn 2 won init and got right in his face. squadroned vorchans saw through stealth twice (triggy used xp purely for rerolls). unfortunately the firing was quite poor and although heavily damaged the teshlan his return fire crippled a vorchan and took the SAs from another. 2nd turn failed all the 3+ steakth rolls by rolling 2 for every one of them. after that it was manouvering to try get into range whilst being shot from all sorts of arcs. my raziks did escape whilst a maximus was trying to -closed blast doors, made 5 of 8 rolls to save damage however crew crits wiped it out in one turn from fresh.

Game 3: 17-3 victory
Burgers drazi- I used Adira, tertius, sullust, prefect, magnus versus 7 strikehawks, 1 vree scout and lots of sky serpant wings.
this game was a bit crazy for burger the adira forcing him to split his fleet and run really. the prefect took heavy damage but all but 2 strikehawks died in burgers fleet. 2 moral victorys for him - a sky serpant beat a razik in a dogfight, then another one beat a rutarian. the adira did next to nothing, managing to fire side matter cannons once and its beam once (for a whole 3 hits).

Game 4: 20-0 victory
TGTs minbari (even though says centauri for him). well the remainder of the fleet. I tried hiding behind a planet again with my darkner and dargan only to have 2JPBs hit the both of them, surprisingly the already damaged hull 4 darkner survived whilst the fresh dargan died without ever firing a shot in anger. the adira JPB 2 teshlan damaging them both.
turn 2 the centauri fleet APTE towards the minbari who were sitting on their table edge. the adira came out of its JP having targets in front and side arcs. adira fired 1st splitting side guns between the 2 teshlans damaged by JPB heavily damaging both and removing one of the teshlans weapons completely. but then using the beam and the twin array managed to completely destroy the sharlin then front matter cannons into a veshetan heavily damaging that to finish its firing. at this point TGT conceded as he had no decent weapons pointing at the adira and it was right in the middle of its fleet. the only reason the adira actually saw the sharlin however was because it had a sensor upgrade from its previous game finally proving the worth of this ship however with the damage it dealt out.

can you still take part in the competitions even if you havent been able to play much because you do not know anyone near you who plays, but still have the minis and know the rules?

hell yea fella, I turned up to the victory at sea torney with only one game under my belt and doing a LBH with a flat pack fleet!

Intresting to see that there was only one narn fleet for the whole of the day.....

My fleet :EA third age
1 Warlock
3 Omega destroyers
2 hyperion's
2 Nova's
1 hyperion + 2 Olympus corvettes

1st Game vs Ken 0-20
Bloody minbo's
Hyperion, Nova and Olympus vs Tigara, Tigara variant (sorry can't remember which) and a Torotha.
All I will say about this game is ken is greta fun to play if you get achance to play him do it and I can't pass stealth checks.

2nd game vs Gregs ISA 3-17
Hyperion, Nova and Olympus vs 2 whitestars, 1 vree missile saucer
Another good game this was in the balence till greg knocked out the weapons on my hyperion so it ran away, having already killed the olympus that left the nova which tryed very hard to kill the whitestars but lost out in the end.

3rd game vs LBH 7-13
Now the fun begins
1 warlock, 2 omega's and a hyperion(already dammaged) vs Victory and 5 whitestars
I was no where near the top so having not used the armegedon warlock at all yet it seemed a good idea to go head to head with the victory (not as the game turned out) the omegas too some damage from the whitestars he killed the hyperion i killed a whitestar with one omega crippled it ment he won just -i'll get you next time gadget!!! :lol:

4th game vs Charles 0-20
having repaierd some damage my fleet was: 1 warlock (lost a lot of crew)
3 omeags (two slightly damaged) 1 fersh hyperion vs so mmany centari ships it was not funny (charles feel free to add you ships into the list)
I stood no really cghance I copuld not bring my beams to bear on any major ship as he had so many skirmish and raid ships I had to move all my ships first. so we played the game out till i lost all of my fleet :wink:

Over all a very intersting tourney i liked the format but may be make the repair thing easier insterd of the refit tables etc and give some crew back eg the walking wounded.

Surving 2d6x3 damage 1d6x3 crew
wining and surviving 4d6x3 damage and 2d6x3 crew

A good day was had by all and i look forward to being beatten by you all again :lol:

Back