Mandatory Card Game queries

kev ayre

Mongoose
Fun game, but I have a few rule questions & couldn't find an FAQ:

1. Hand Size in card games is how many cards I can hold. But the rules state that the Hand Size determines "the number of cards dealt to them at the beginning of a Mission" So this would mean that if my hand size is 6, I get dealt 6 new cards at the start of a mission to add to the cards I already have? Using this rule most of the deck can be held by players and slow the game down somewhat even in a 4 player game as players read through the cards they have.

2. Winning - "In the event of a tie, the Troubleshooter with the least number of Treason tokens is the winner." Since the rules state "Resolve the final Mission Debriefing and Internal Security Investigation phase regularly" any wound & treason tokens will have been discarded. Is this correct? Or should other criteria be used, eg highest number of clones

3. Mission - Internal Security Officer: I don't have the card in front of me, but basically one player secretly becomes the Int Sec Officer and the mission is successful if the Int Sec Officer survives. My question is has it failed if the Int Sec Officer dies (and a new clone is used) or does he only fail if all his clones die? Also does the mission end if he fails, or only if somebody runs out of cards, aborts, loses all clones, or only 1 troubleshooter left alive?

Thanks

kev ayre said:
1. Hand Size in card games is how many cards I can hold. But the rules state that the Hand Size determines "the number of cards dealt to them at the beginning of a Mission" So this would mean that if my hand size is 6, I get dealt 6 new cards at the start of a mission to add to the cards I already have?
No. Your hand size determines the maximum number of cards you can hold at the start of each mission. If you ended the last mission with 6 cards in hand and you have a Hand Size of 6, you receive no new cards with the next mission.

kev ayre said:
2. Winning - "In the event of a tie, the Troubleshooter with the least number of Treason tokens is the winner." Since the rules state "Resolve the final Mission Debriefing and Internal Security Investigation phase regularly" any wound & treason tokens will have been discarded. Is this correct? Or should other criteria be used, e.g. highest number of clones.
I'd recommend a spot of House Ruling. Use the number of Treason Tokens held before the end of the IntSec Interrogation. If this doesn't break the tie, use number of clones remaining... or Security Clearance.

kev ayre said:
3. Mission - Internal Security Officer: I don't have the card in front of me...
Neither do I. I'll try answering this one when I have the card to hand.

Thanks for those clarifications, Paul!

I've got the Internal Security Mission card here, if it helps:

Mission: Survive until Mission Debriefing.
Success: All Loyal Troubleshooters gain 1 Security Clearance. The IntSec agent gains 2 Security Clearances. All Traitors lose 1 Security Clearance.
Special: Mix up one Mission card per Troubleshooter (including this one) in a pile. Deal each Troubleshooter one card, face down. If have this card, you are the IntSec agent. At the start of the Mission Debriefing phase, the IntSec agent may move his treason tokens to any other Troubleshooter(s). The Team Leader may not end this Mission.

So the question is how to define Survive until Mission Debriefing? Is it losing one clone or last clone (or some other criteria)?

Thanks again.

kev ayre said:
So the question is how to define Survive until Mission Debriefing? Is it losing one clone or last clone (or some other criteria)?

Thanks again.

I have previously used the rule that any clone death counts as not surviving.

LBH

Thanks for the clarification, lastbesthope. It's what I thought, but other players disagreed. A pity Survive isn't covered in the Glossary!

Just one more thing: when you used this ruling did the IntSec clone death end the mission or did you have to use a different criteria, eg somebody runs out of cards, aborts, loses all clones, or only 1 troubleshooter left alive?

Thanks again!

kev ayre said:
Thanks for the clarification, lastbesthope. It's what I thought, but other players disagreed. A pity Survive isn't covered in the Glossary!

Just one more thing: when you used this ruling did the IntSec clone death end the mission or did you have to use a different criteria, eg somebody runs out of cards, aborts, loses all clones, or only 1 troubleshooter left alive?

Thanks again!

I ran the mission uintil normal completion, though rereading the cards I may have been wrong on that one.

I wouldn't call my answer a ruling, just my opinion.

But the beauty of Paranoia is, the rules are subject to change at the whim of The Computer :twisted:

ANd very fickle he is too.

LBH

Back