Magical Monsters

Neeklus

Mongoose
While the standard enemy in Conan the RPG remains men, which is in turn relfected in REH's novels, there is the occasionally use of the magical or supernatural beast. A recent adventure in S&P featured a siren and equally so in some of REH's best work demons, golems, and other creatures were used.

To me this begs the question: what is the limit?

What sort of monsters are deemed acceptable, even expected?

For example would a medusa be recieved well in a game of Conan?

What sort of foes do you pit against your players? Men? Monsters or a combination of both?

I think it would be perfect, except for the turn to stone part. I would make it a hypnotic stare that paralyzes the victim, and then the Medusa would drink their blood. It would be like one of Set's children, akin to a vampire.

Someone like Conan may be able to break free of the spell through force of will.

Anyway, that would be my take on it.

L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter's Black Tears (from Conan the Wanderer, Ace/Lancer) featured a medusa-type monster that turned foes to stone.

I keep the emphasis firmly on conflict between humans and their various nations, and keep the weird monster elements to a minimum. It is the corruption and stupidity and vile nature (crime, slavery, racism, prejudice, theft, politics, ignorance, &c.) of humanity in Hyboria that predominates, and is, at times, more problematic than the occasional monstrosity from the Outer Dark or Underworld.

Neeklus said:
What sort of foes do you pit against your players? Men? Monsters or a combination of both?

Usually human opponents, with a monster or sorcerer as the "end of level boss" climax -- as is usually the case in the Conan stories by REH.

- thulsa

It is the corruption and stupidity and vile nature (crime, slavery, racism, prejudice, theft, politics, ignorance, &c.) of humanity in Hyboria that predominates, and is, at times, more problematic than the occasional monstrosity from the Outer Dark or Underworld.

Sounds like us alright. I think REH just cut to heart, and portrayed us as the monsters we could become. And then Conan kills us.

Monsters should not be standard mythical creatures like a medusa or a hydra, but rather something "wierder" that could have given legend so such monsters in a later age.

The key is to think of the Hyborian age as a myth-generating age through which the filter of time has distorted our view. For example, in the Hour of the Dragon, we learn that the Grey Ape may be the basis for our legends of "Ogres." Also, in a set of non-Conan REH stories, he plays around with the idea that our legends of dwarves and elves are based on dim rememberances of a primitive race that was forced underground into stunted development by the westward flow of the indo-european barbarians.

dunderm said:
It is the corruption and stupidity and vile nature (crime, slavery, racism, prejudice, theft, politics, ignorance, &c.) of humanity in Hyboria that predominates, and is, at times, more problematic than the occasional monstrosity from the Outer Dark or Underworld.

Sounds like us alright. I think REH just cut to heart, and portrayed us as the monsters we could become. And then Conan kills us.

We are the monsters?!? :shock:
Noooooooooooo!

:D

Although, the Gray Apes are monstrous, I don't see them as the end of the level type Monster (what are you guys filling my head with? I used to have original expressions!). I see all the petty problems, like who gets the gold, subplanted by the Monster that makes these problems insignificant. Something like the fisherman throwing their fish away when the bear tries to catch them (kinda lame, huh?)

Although, I like the Yaggite's POV (privately owned vehicle), I like end of the level (whoever said that is a monster :) ) monsters too.

In my opinion it's not a matter of using too many types of monsters, but rather using them too much. Many, many types of monsters straight out of your nearest D&D sourcebook can be tossed into a Conan setting. The key is to use them just like Howard would - as singular, terrifying assaults against the natural world.

Want a Medusa? Go for it. I recently used a Minotaur in one of my games. Just don't make the Medusa it's own race. Don't have an entire society of Medusae hanging out, turning things to stone and playing checkers with Orcs.

Anything monstrous should be scary or disgusting (or both) and not mundane.

That said, there are plenty of D&D monsters that really do not fit. I'd stay away from anything that makes you giggle more than it makes you cringe.

The Ankheg is creepy looking. That means it would probably attack Conan in some dark forest. The Beholder is a floating head with eyes all over it -- too silly for Conan.

Besides avoiding the sillier D&D monsters, I'd also avoid anything with lots of magical powers (hard to do if you're fishing for monsters in the Monster Manuals). D&D-style Dragons, for example.

To sum it up: Use whatever you want, but don't fill your game with monsters. Keep them rare enough to remain horrifying instead of mundane and expected, and don't choose anything your players are more likely to laugh at than flee from.

Be sure to describe the gore dripping from their gapping jaws. I like that part best.

Besides, one of the reasons I never really liked D&D a lot, was because of the extreme use of monsters. Just one very effective monster should be enough for any PC to deal with, and most PCs are well fed.

A good rule of thumb is that if the creature is at home in a horror movie, its good for use in a Conan game.

Monsters in REH's storys are treated as things of horror, rather than new challenges like in D&D.

I like to use some mundane animals as 'Monsters', but I like to do so by regional expectation ...

Example: STYGIA
Crocodiles (even giant or monstrous types) by the riverbanks, also Hippos, some snakes (Of Course!!!), Sphinx in the desert regions - perhaps as Guardians of sacred areas, long forgotten (Before the rise and influence of Sett).

LokiOne... We need more 'normal animals as 'Monsters' for the game.

LokiOne said:
ISphinx in the desert regions - perhaps as Guardians of sacred areas, long forgotten (Before the rise and influence of Sett).

A sphinx-like demon appears in Conan of Aquilonia (3rd story) I believe.

Back