Lord of the Fading Suns Tournament - July 16th

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
We have now posted the tournament pack for Lord of the Fading Suns, the tournament set for July 16th. You can find it at;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/nalordfstournament.pdf

We will be posting full entry details a little later this week but if any veterans want to book their place early, the entry fee is £5 as usual, which can be paid via PayPal (paypal@mongoosepublishing.com), by credit card and phone (01793 434488) or by cheque to the address below.

Please don't forget to tell us which fleet you will be using!

From the tournament pack:

The Naga Grand Cruiser, Wraith Stealth Destroyer, Shamshir Strike Cruiser, Leonardo Monitor and Aurora Fighter may also be used, model availability permitting.

Given that they're all listed as September releases, realistically what are the chances?

Also, can we see the stats for them anytime soon, being as how that will help some people make fleet choices, and the rest of us plan our fleets to defend against them....

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Given that they're all listed as September releases, realistically what are the chances?

The Naga is being put in a mould right now.

lastbesthope said:
Also, can we see the stats for them anytime soon, being as how that will help some people make fleet choices, and the rest of us plan our fleets to defend against them....

We will unveil the stats when the models appear on the web site!

msprange said:
lastbesthope said:

The Naga is being put in a mould right now.

So what does that translate to in availability for the tourney?

Rang in and booked my slot today.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
So what does that translate to in availability for the tourney?

We are hoping to get not only the Naga, but the first ship for each House in the new wave of releases. Work starts on them next week (polishing off the Vuldrok right now), so it will be tight, but we will see what we can do!

Just noticed in the rules, no swapping CQ betweens hips this time, but it is randomly redecided before each game. Could be interesting.

LBH

they used to in B5 and should do here as random crew can give massive advantages/disadvantages depending on what you get. something that should not be so skewed in tourneys

CQ is something we are watching very carefully in the tournaments. In the last one, it gave the players a hurdle to clear (something I am not wholly against in a tournament!), but did not seem to unduly unbalance any of the games. The overall winner of the tournament had some seriously bum crews against some very good ones, but he managed the deficit.

It looks as if it has some value at the moment. If it turns out otherwise, we'll drop it.

nothing more annoying than your opponent being able to turn his dreadnought on a dime cos he got cq6 and you cant do anything except on 6s.
for friendly games random CQs are fine but not in a tournament setting, when fleets are equal points anyway why should one person have to overcome an additional hurdle to win? especially if its a less skilled player playing an experienced one.

I would agree - players should start on an equal footing as much as possible in a tournametn setting.

Confused by: It looks as if it has some value at the moment

What value would that be? All it does is help or hinder players before they even begin playing?

What about giving players a set number of crew qualities? Say give them 1 military grade crews, 2 average crews, and the rest green? The players would then allocate the crews according to their plans. You would have crew variation while at the same time ensuring no one player obtained a random advantage.

godsgopher said:
What about giving players a set number of crew qualities? Say give them 1 military grade crews, 2 average crews, and the rest green? The players would then allocate the crews according to their plans. You would have crew variation while at the same time ensuring no one player obtained a random advantage.

Doing so could potentially give fleets with fewer hiulls an advantage, I mean in our 750 point games last tourney I'd have loved to have known my dreadnought would have crew that good.

LBH

Greg Smith said:
Always give the best crews to scouts. It is far more important and benefits the whole fleet.

Whatever you want to put the high CQ on, having a known number of higher CQs could skew things in favour of 2 or 3 hull fleets as opposed to more normal sized ones.

EDIT: Flat CQ ratings, or randomly applied CQ ratings, both methods are independent of fleet size. The method suggested by godsgopher isn't and therefore could potentially skew towards smaller fleets.

LBH

so flat CQ of 4 all round would be the best, its how it always was in B5 tourneys and should be here.
CQ6 means repairing upto 4 levels of a crit in a turn, coming about on a 3+ etc etc
CQ1 or 2 means needing 6s to do almost anything.

how is that remotely fair in a tournament setting?

katadder said:
how is that remotely fair in a tournament setting?

Just to be clear before I start in on this I'm not for or down on random cQ generation.

[Devil's advocate]
It's fair because it's random, it's equally random for your opponent, and you get to reroll for the next game. I mean so much else of the game mechanic relies on random dice rolls, how is that fair?
[/Devil's advocate]

But yeah I would rather play flat CQ or like we had it at the last tourney, where it was Random CQ but you could swap two scores over.

I mean I was miffed when I rolled anything less than 4 for my CQ, which fortunately wasn't often.

LBH

in a game then yes its all based on random d6 but the fleets are balanced before you start.
if you start a game at a random disadvantage before any in game dice are rolled thats not balanced.

Back