Looking for World suggestions

ogrebear

Mongoose
Hullo

Never been keen on Glorantha as a world- no one reason just lots of things that never made it 'sing' for me; thus I am looking for another world to set a Runequest 4 game in.

What I am after is fantasy, but not too 'high' fantasy. I'd rather not convert too much from another rpg if possible.

Any suggestions?

Lankhmar?

At least you don't need to convert anything, Mongoose publishes it for MRQ later on this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lankhmar

Ill second GoingDown's idea, after a fashion.

Look over the settings due for RQ and see what looks appealing to you.

Doimin is out and had been done in in D20 too, so you might be familar with it. If you like Fafhrd and the GRey MOuser, wait for Lanhkmar. If not either wait for something else or work up your out setting.

I recently purchased the Conan setting book Road of Kings to use with RQ. I think it's an excellent match. The book is very detailed and well-made and ,aside from a handful of monsters and NPCs, is system-neutral. You should look into it.

atgxtg said:
Doimin is out and had been done in in D20 too, so you might be familar with it. If you like Fafhrd and the GRey MOuser, wait for Lanhkmar. If not either wait for something else or work up your out setting.

Hmm. Diomin sounds good also - and it is available right away! I am considering to get it myself as well.

We got worlds. We've got worlds galore! Pretty much anything could be converted to Runequest, or you could make up your own world. Or you could base a world off a published book or comic book or TV show or movie.

Lately I've been thinking of adding a treatment of Atlantis and Lemuria to my Runequest Modern game. Of course, that would entail a lot of work to make up a new world and base it off of existing new age lore. There is a GURPS Atlantis supplement out.

A lot of worlds have been defined in GURPS. Most of the GURPS supplements are text defining the flavor of the world, with only bits at the end explaining how to implement these in GURPS mechanics. You'd not so much be converting from GURPS as creating Runequest structures.

(I have a thread here about implementing GURPS-style advantages in Runequest. My conclusion is that many of the advantages can be considered specialized advanced skills, and the others may cost a different amount in Runequest than they do in GURPS.)

If you can say what you are looking for I can give a more specific recommendation.

There's one on the site. Link in Hyrum's sig.

Back to the original question.

I appreciate that it's not easy to define precisely, but what about Glorantha fails to float the ogrebear boat? Some pointers might be useful to help people know what to avoid in their recommendations.

Here's the direct link to the Diomin portion of our site:

http://www.otherworlds.cx/diomin.html

If gives you a fairly broad overview of the setting, the gods, and the races.

More info on the adventures can be found here:

http://www.otherworlds.cx/rqadventures.html

Hyrum.

THanks for the link. Certainly a good sized intro.

Just one last question: Is that dragon on the world map to scale? :shock:

atgxtg said:
THanks for the link. Certainly a good sized intro.

Just one last question: Is that dragon on the world map to scale? :shock:

Heh, no. While dragons on Diomin are large, they're about the size of Gloranthan dream dragons. They're also rare and not seen often, at least on this continent.

Hyrum.

If you're looking for a world to run Runquest adventures for, Ravenloft is a very good choice. The big advantage of Ravenloft for a GM without a lot of time is that the isolation of most domains means that the GM can concentrate on the little area where the PCs are and not worry about the geopolitical developments of the major empires.

To answer GbajiTheDeceiver's question.

I am not sure what it is about Glorantha that fails to work for me. Is it the 'flat floating lozenge in a sea of time' thing, the Ducks, the low tech? I have never been sure but *something* in the setting does not agree with me.

Part of it might be its age- like Mystra or Forgottern Realms or Greyhawk I find 'impossible' geography, dunegons, etc are all part of game world design from an eariler age. I am sure Glorantha falls into this somewhere. Perhaps its cos I read RQ II first and the purple box books are showing their age compared to Earthdawn (at the time I read RQII) or even D20 now.

I am prepared to give Robin Laws' version a go- perhaps that might change my mind, but its going to have to be something real good!

Back