Long cold wait II = 3rd edition?

msprange said:
The King said:
You have no humanity.

But I do have a huge manatee.

(that is such an old joke. . .)

If I may, could I ask why you are treating this announcement as such a secret? Im seriously curious. Is it a legal thing, are you trying to make people excited or what is it?

Well my read is there "MUST" be some kinda change to it and the current existing Conan game. So better to release the whole "new" thing, thus spring it on us so that those that are die hards might drown out those that are unhappy. That is the "ONLY" reason I can see why they might do that.

Heck for me a 32+ year gamer, I dropped D&D after the rebooted with D&D vs4, plus Hero System with their reboot vs 6. I am a 30+ year Traveller player, and will keep collecting Traveller stuff regardless as I like the Mongoose direction for Traveller. Looks like I have a good 9+ more years in that line at least.

Penn

Scorpion13 said:
If I may, could I ask why you are treating this announcement as such a secret? Im seriously curious. Is it a legal thing, are you trying to make people excited or what is it?

For no reason other than we are not ready to announce just yet. We have a marketing plan for all our lines which we try very hard to stick to (not always possible).

I'll give an example.

Suppose we have a new Traveller setting in the works called Kung Fu Nazi Zombies in Space. We tell people the title and that it is coming out in 2010 - and they just shrug and get on with their lives.

Doesn't really help anyone, does it.

Now, suppose instead we don't mention a thing - until we have settled on the name 'Carpe Noctum,' and can back it up with an array of absolutely stunning art, details of the new rules included and a full list of supplements that will support it.

Which is the better marketing exercise? Which will likely get more people to look at the new setting?

As far as Conan is concerned, all that has happened thus far is that some people have asked why a couple of supplements were pulled from the existing schedule, and we have stated that we are working on something 'mega-cool' for Conan, which may or may not involve Vincent Darlage. At no point have we said there is a new edition coming, and at no point have we revealed what the new project is.

We just aren't ready. If we were pressed on the point right now, we would have to answer something equivalent to 'Kung Fu Nazi Zombies in the Hyborian Age.'

And what would that tell you?

msprange said:
If we were pressed on the point right now, we would have to answer something equivalent to 'Kung Fu Nazi Zombies in the Hyborian Age.'

"Fist-fighting" Nazi Zombies would be more REH canon.

:wink:

msprange said:
We just aren't ready. If we were pressed on the point right now, we would have to answer something equivalent to 'Kung Fu Nazi Zombies in the Hyborian Age.'

That the Geese are hard at work on an uber-cool undead supplement for Conan and Vince Darlage may or may not be providing assistance with.

Scorpion13 said:
msprange said:
The King said:
You have no humanity.

But I do have a huge manatee.

(that is such an old joke. . .)

Well they have been burned several times when they have released info very early. Maybe they have learned from their mistakes?-)

msprange wrote:

Mmmm... Looks like alot to an AFMBE supplement. I think Eden Studios are going to sue you... :wink:

msprange said:
Scorpion13 said:

For no reason other than we are not ready to announce just yet. We have a marketing plan for all our lines which we try very hard to stick to (not always possible).

I'll give an example.

Suppose we have a new Traveller setting in the works called Kung Fu Nazi Zombies in Space. We tell people the title and that it is coming out in 2010 - and they just shrug and get on with their lives.

Doesn't really help anyone, does it.

I understand somewhat your point though your exemple isn't quite right as you tell about something new no one knows.

Conan is a line that is 5 years old and it already experienced a long wait but we knew then there would be a 2nd edition. This time, we have nothing and all what the fans are receiving is a lot of rumors that are self-sparked (we had long theory threads about Conan turning Runequest, others are speaking of miniature's game, others and I from a 3rd edition, etc.).
I am not sure this helps very much. So some hints would cool down the "fire".

And will Kung Fu Nazi Zombies in the Hyborian Age be a campaign or a setting? :roll:

I'm not happy for another long cold wait, and I think it'll only pay off if Vincent is back writing the books. I've got all the books now and, to be honest, they're less than stellar to say the least. They are losing that special touch that makes Conan Conan, something that Vincent was able to do.

Which is the better marketing exercise? Which will likely get more people to look at the new setting?

Both, actually. They are not the mutually exclusive options you portray, neither would the first actually dilute the second.

When Patagonia launch a new clothing range, the first thing the reps tell you - way before trade shows or buying days, which themselves are way before the actual launch, is roughly what features they're hoping to add/subtract from the current versions and what things will go the way of the dodo as well as what the all new product might feature. they do this so the shop can pass that info on to dedicated customers and it builds hype. Nothing is guaranteed but there's something to go on.

The companies that say 'we'll have an awesome new product out next spring' generally get a 'meh' response. Because they say that same old song every time.

Well I guess all we can do is just wait and see what happens. Now if it turns out cool, then awesome, if it is lame then we can grumble about it if we want to bother too. For me I guess I will not have to bother pre-ordering the items then.

Penn

Matt, quick question:

DO you like having to discuss this with us, or does it just annoy you?

I have to say, having the actual guy in charge to talk to is actually pretty nice.

Whatever the big reveal is - it is too bad that Mongoose did not use Gen-Con to deliver the big news. That makes no sense! Why not lift the curtain during the biggest gaming con of the year?

Back