Long cold wait II = 3rd edition?

To be honest, I think this secrecy and long wait for supplements is hurting things not helping. I have trouble getting people interested in playing/running Conan as it is. I was all set to do some playtesting for the last adventure module, but had to cancel because I couldn't find anyone interested in playing Conan.

I'm sad to say it, but Conan would have to do something very interesting to get people talking about it again around here. Though I'm utterly bored with 4e, having a 4e adaptable game is probably what it would take to get people interested in Conan. :cry:

Hervé said:
Because just as Matt told us, they're just not ready yet. Let them take their time to do their best.

I understand that - my point was it was a missed opportunity that comes around once a year. We are only 2 months out - if you listen to Matt's speak he is already working on stuff for 2nd & 3rd qtr. 2010. Whatever the Conan reveal is, it's in the bag already - the reveal is just the final step. You need to think like a marketer Hervé - not using Gen-Con signals to me this is just a minor book or series of books - no big deal. Otherwise, Mongoose would've used Gen-Con.

I tend to agree. The signals that we're getting from Matt is that this isn't a major overhaul. If they aren't going with a very different system, then this would only be a cosmetic change. And, they can't really be going with a different system if, as Matt has promised, all older books will still be useable. Making Conan compatible with Pathfinder really isn't a big change to the system considering that Pathfinder and Conan use basically the same system with the exception of the magic system (and I prefer the system used in Conan).

So, the only two things that make sense are a cosmetic change like reissuing books with full color and new covers and whatnot. Or some kind of tie-in with the Age of Conan MMORPG. I hope that the tie-in isn't going to happen. One of the things that I hated about the game was that magic is used just like in any other MMORPG. In the world of Conan, if someone ran around with a demon or a horde of undead, then people would be gathering armies to stomp that person into the ground. It might be fine for a computer game, but keep that crap out of my RPG.

So, again, I say that all of this secrecy and delay really has to be great because otherwise I see interest in Conan evaporating in my area. And, there wasn't much interest to begin with.

I for one really hate when a company says hey this is what we have coming out and tells you a little about it then you never see the product. After a few months I quiet caring then if I finally see the product down the range I'll be like that is grate, if I don't see it o well.

It seems like they'd rather push the very promising new Judge Dredd for this Gen Con, as a showcase of "the new Mongoose"look.

I have a secret wish now. Nexus; the Italian company that made the conan board game (which is published in the USA by FFG) has said that they are publishing a conan miniature game.

Well, of course first I wanted to see if anybody was interested enough to ask :)
Our next game based upon the Conan license will be the Conan Miniatures game.
This miniature game will be character-oriented, skirmish level, adventure/scenario based, and expandable.
(Generally speaking, closer to a game like Tannhauser than to Warhammer or Confrontation).
The plan is to create a modular game, which in time should grow both through the addition of new 'starter sets', focused on a certain stage of the Cimmerian's life, and a limited number of additional figures to enhance the use of the starter set.
At the moment, the first starter set and additional miniatures should have the early Conan adventures ("Tower of the Elephant" period).
Later starters will introduce additional periods, e.g. the Belit period, the Nordic period.
Of course, everything you will get from a wave will be usable with everything else.
Continuing the comparison with Tannhauser, what we wish to achieve, among other things, is more expandibility and scenarios which are less 'dry' and mechanical, more detailed more story-oriented.
If everything goes according to plan, the first set should release in the 1st half of 2010.

http://fortressat.com/index.php?opt...tion=com_content&task=view&id=1076&Itemid=551

Perhaps this will tie into the RPG? Maybe Mongoose got the rights rather then FFG to publish it in the UK and US. Even if this is not the reason for the secrecy; the game sounds cool assuming the link is true.

Back