Long cold wait II = 3rd edition?

I'll have to qualify my not Pathfinder statement. I dont know for sure, I was maybe just getting excited, it could be closer to Pathfinder rules, but that wouldnt make sense, at least, in my opinion. That would, surely, just make the Conan rules more high fantasy, I dont see how it would make sense. Conan is a variant of D20, just like Pathfinder is. Also, would that qualify as something that Conan fans would get excited about?

PrinceYyrkoon said:
I'll have to qualify my not Pathfinder statement. I dont know for sure, I was maybe just getting excited, it could be closer to Pathfinder rules, but that wouldnt make sense, at least, in my opinion. That would, surely, just make the Conan rules more high fantasy, I dont see how it would make sense. Conan is a variant of D20, just like Pathfinder is. Also, would that qualify as something that Conan fans would get excited about?

What makes you think theyre going to make Conan more High Fantasy?

Scorpion13 said:
PrinceYyrkoon said:

What makes you think theyre going to make Conan more High Fantasy?

No, no, I dont think they are. Im guessing the same as everyone, its just that I dismissed the possibility of Pathfinder/Conan closeness as being not exactly everyones idea of 'great news'. The hint was hyped as something that all Conan fans would really like. I dont think Conan with pathfinder rules fits the bill, is all. And Matt said that it was going to be a collectors item, or items.

Maybe we can clear up (concretely) one aspect of the relaunch:

Whatever the new books/game is it will be in glorious, high-def color - right Matt?

:p

The main thing I want to know is: If I buy any rule books now do they become obsolete in a few months? These books ain't cheap and I don't make enough to just throw money away like that.

squidyak said:
The main thing I want to know is: If I buy any rule books now do they become obsolete in a few months? These books ain't cheap and I don't make enough to just throw money away like that.

Well Matt said theres no problem with that kind of thing.

PrinceYyrkoon said:

I think Pathfinder did some good things (from what I remember of the alpha) with d20.

Conan definitely did good things with d20.

If a new edition of Conan absorbs some of the better ideas from Pathfinder, I wouldn't complain. It could absorb some ideas from True20 too if it likes.

Ultimately a Pathfinder friendly Conan could be a good thing, marketing-wise. All it would need is similar stat blocks and each company could sell to the other's fan base.

I, personally, am completely 'meh' about PathFinder. Some have heralded it as the way the truth and the light, and it certainly is not that. From a quick skimming of the book and what I've read on rpg.net it's essentially the 3.5 SRD with some house rules thrown in. Big deal. Armor still affects AC. I'll pass on it for that simple reason. I don't believe Mongoose is going to release a 3rd edition for the Conan rules, but if they were, I wouldn't be interested in an adaptation of PathFinder. Honestly I don't have much problem with the Conan 2e rules as is. YMMV.

Change that is not an improvement is not the way forward. Pathfinder may well be fine for many folks. I certainly prefer it to 4E.

But Conan seems largely fine as is. Not sure that it needs a change just because. not every company needs to follow the GW model.

And thats why I am still buying Conan stuff. Because ultimatly, I trust Matt and the Gooses to do right by the game and the gamers.

zozotroll said:
And thats why I am still buying Conan stuff. Because ultimatly, I trust Matt and the Gooses to do right by the game and the gamers.

Much appreciated.

Of course, we can't promise that we will make all fans happy, nor can we promise that we will always get things right. However, we can promise that we will always strive to do right by you guys.

Put another way, you need not worry about us re-releasing games for no reason than to get extra sales. Forgetting, for the moment, that this never really works in the long term, we have hundreds of new game ideas desperate to get published - we will always look to them before intentionally upsetting our current customers. . .

The King said:
Matt, your posts on this thread are much appreciated but why don't you give us any hint?

Already explained that we will reveal all, chapter and verse, in the next State of the Mongoose - which really isn't that far away.

msprange said:
The King said:
Matt, your posts on this thread are much appreciated but why don't you give us any hint?

Already explained that we will reveal all, chapter and verse, in the next State of the Mongoose - which really isn't that far away.
True, but this is in November at the best, which is a long time away. Can't you give some crunch already, lest we starve before.
Conan RPG actually looks like a Shemite desert without an oasis.

I'm with King!

Throw us regulars a breeze Matt! It's the dog days of summer man! The heat and humidity -we may not make it to November. We need a lifeboat to cling to - we need info to savor and debate like a cold, brisk November chill.
You Inglorious Bastard! (in theaters right now) :D

Hervé said:
Maybe we'll get a Traveller Conan... :roll:

That wouldn't be fair! That would make my own conversion of Traveller to S&S pointless ;-)

(btw it's not such crazy idea as it sounds. Traveller rules are elegant and flexible and works like a charm in s&s as well as sci-fi)

Back