Long cold wait II = 3rd edition?

Scorpion13 said:
Now see I respect Mongoose and all, and Vince especially, but unless its a supplement that actually dispenses gold and jewels and ale and whores onto your lap while you read it, I dont see how I could merit such secrecy. Im sure Itll kick ass, but it is still just a rpg supplement.

Well, thats an easy one: To get you guys to go on endlessly speculating and getting the adrenaline up for whatever it is they announce.

All this endless speculation without facts just ratchets up the anticipation and is probably exactly what they want.

Well I'm speculating, to an extent, and frankly my anticipation levels are not rising. I find this exaggerated secrecy thing rather a bore, I'm afraid.

There is really no good reason not to say what's in the pipeline, except when it might have a bearing on current sales, or if someone else might steal your thunder somehow. The second option isn't really possible in this instance, the first may be the case.

But as loads of rpg companies indulge in this futile practise when there is no need at all, I assume it's regarded as a 'marketing wheeze' as you suggest.

Actaually if Conan is to get an update to be more Pathfinder friendly I'm glad I jumped the gun on getting the 2nd Ed D20 book.

I like Pathfinder, but mostly for Golarion and the Forgotten Realms.

zorlak21 said:
I hope its a age of conan book :D

Oh man! I think you may be on to something. I could see Mongoose changing the name to "Age of Conan" and changing the game to matchup/sync with the MMO.

Feeling dizzy, keyboard blurry... room spinning.... [ka-bammmm!]

Strom said:
zorlak21 said:

Oh man! I think you may be on to something. I could see Mongoose changing the name to "Age of Conan" and changing the game to matchup/sync with the MMO.

CROM! I highly hope that Conan doesn't go the way of D&D 4E! I much prefer it to stay an OGL product line.

Twin Dragons said:
Strom said:
zorlak21 said:

CROM! I highly hope that Conan doesn't go the way of D&D 4E! I much prefer it to stay an OGL product line.

Well, its not going '4th E', its not going RQ (unfortunately), and its not going Pathfinder. Its more than just a special edition for collectors, and VD is working on it (Vinces parents should maybe have thought about those initials...). The books taken off the schedule are being released next year, so its just temporary. Tha means that Empires of the Hyborain Age will be just as relevant next year, so it cant be a whole world spanning 'campaign-in-a-box'. Its not a dual statted d20/RQ version, cos theyve almost said as much, and that would not be 'great news' for Conan fans.

Its something great for Conan fans that entails none of the above possibilities. It cant be just another camaign book, because that wouldnt need secrecy. Its not a series of scenario books becuase of the same reason.

It has to involve the rules, but it also has to be senstive to current fans. It has to be a series of limited edition collectors books of the rules, a players book, a GMs book, Monsters book, possibly. This fits the description, its more than just one item, and theyre doing this kind of thing with Paranoia as a dry run to see if its commercially viable and popular. You could say thyre also using the Paranoia line to make sure the physical books are nicely done artifacts, considering that Mongoose have had printer trouble in the past, and the fact that they can afford to mess up the Paranoia line as a trial run, because Paranoia isnt exactly Mongoose's golden egg.

I'd say it was 3 collectors books, limited edition, around £30 each, GM book, players book and Monster/Campaign book. In time for Chrsitmas maybe.

Great Bori!

Quick, someone help me with Strom!

*checks pulse*

Quick, someone help me eliminate him before he comes to! Damn that cheap lotus wine...

I am starting to learn towards the pathfinder compatible route as well. i don't think it will be like Pathfinder anymore than the current one was like 3.5e.

I think maybe a 3rd edition of Conan updating the current rules and using some of the stuff from Pathfinder they like. Possible the new rules for grapple as a example that most people seem to love. Plus it would help them cash in a bit with the pathfinder fans and make a bit of news.

This is just a guess though.

As far as why they don't just tell us, thats easy. Speculation it keeps us talking about it. Not just here but other places and it keeps interest up and Conan in peoples minds. As long as they don't drag it out to long it is often a good business practice from a marketing perspective.

Well really, from what Ive read, and I dont have the actual books, isnt Pathfinder just a further refinement of 3.5? As in, pretty much the same thing except for a few rule changes?

How much would Conan need to be changed to make it compatible with Pathfinder? I mean, does ANYTHING about it need to change? Its already it's own setting, its own ruleset. And I dont think it needs refining. OUR Fighter (Soldier) stays cool throughout the entire leveling, and our feats dont suck. What needs changed?

Scorpion13 said:
Well really, from what Ive read, and I dont have the actual books, isnt Pathfinder just a further refinement of 3.5? As in, pretty much the same thing except for a few rule changes?

How much would Conan need to be changed to make it compatible with Pathfinder? I mean, does ANYTHING about it need to change? Its already it's own setting, its own ruleset. And I dont think it needs refining. OUR Fighter (Soldier) stays cool throughout the entire leveling, and our feats dont suck. What needs changed?

Right. There was a cleanup of skills (which many folks have already houseruled) as well as a cleanup of grappling etc to make a standard way to resolve such items without doing 2-3 sets of rolls. I like "armor as DR" etc and mos of the other Conan RPG standards. I'm excited about the possibility, but we'll see what happens.

From my reading of alpha, Pathfinder was even worse than 3.5 in the feat fest and complex rules.
I really hope Conan is not going this way.

And the fact that it could be a collector something of multiple books is just stopping me from buying any Conan books until I have more info.

W.

What about a formatting change? May be they are going to release the second edition books again in glorious technicolour with ..... pauses for drum roll .... maps that match Vincent's text and are readable.

I'd like to think they're working on some kinda Hyborian Age atlas or something. A box set maybe with a nice full-color hardcover book and a series of oversize fold-out maps accompanying. With all the general griping over the years on this topic (and I should know...since buying up everything I could find for this game a few months ago, I've been working my way back through all [yes: all :shock: ] the forum threads from the last couple of years - I'm on page 36, btw). Anyhoo, could explain Mr. Darlage's participation, as his home-brew maps on Thulsa's website are probably the most accurate out there based on all his research. Plus, could also account for pushing back Empires to make sure it reflects the updated/corrected geography. But, hey, that's just my guess/wish :roll: ...I suppose only time will tell.

It's a book of maps! Maps for each Conan adventure ever published by Mongoose! Maps of things in Howard's stories! Generic maps to use in a game. City maps. Wilderness maps. Ruins maps.

Maps. Maps. Maps!

:shock:

(Of course, I'm kidding.)

Back