Lone wolf gamebook updating - moongoose please read!

Drake_56

Mongoose
Hi there

First time poster on these boards. What drew me here was the amazing announcement of the new re-edited lonewolf gamebooks.

The idea of new material in these books is certainly interesting, although I wonder how this material would be slotted into the existing gamebooks. For example, would the paragraph references increase from 350 to 400? Would the books become longer and therefore harder, with more fights etc, or would there simply be new options to take additional paths and perhaps find new special items?

My main concern is that there are some issues with the original gamebooks (despite them being my favorite books ever published!). The first issue is balance - while most the books are quite easy there are several encounters in the entire serious that are almost ridiculously impossible (particularly, Zakhan Kimar, The Chaos Lord and the Deathlord of Ixia). There are also many rolls that you must make where you have a 20-40% chance of dying. I hope some of these can be softened a little to encourage people to play without cheating!

The other point is that some of the obscure rule questions could be clarified. Things like, just how physical and non-physical EP is restored, which Combat bonuses stack, just when are you allowed to draw the Sommerswerd in certain adventures, why do the silver bracers not appear in the list of permissable items for books 14 and 15 etc. Hopefully these questions would be resolved in the new series.

Can any other gamebook fans comment on these?

Cam

all will be answered next year if you look at the main board at matts thread both rpg and odds and sods to find the joe denver fueled answer 8)

Back