How do you make robots/vehicles/gear?

Torinn

Mongoose
Ships, vehicles, robots, and guns all have in-depth rules for their creation mechanically, but I don't understand how players would go about creating these things in game. Starships at least mention being built at starports, which makes sense based on their size and complexity, but what about the other customizable gameplay elements?
Are there rules for crafting/modifying gear outside of the fabrication chambers from the CSC?

In the Core Rulebook under the Mechanics skill it says that "Unlike the narrower and more focused Engineer or Science skills, Mechanic does not allow a Traveller to build new devices or alter existing ones". This gives us an idea of which skills would be used for this purpose, but what about the time it takes, what it costs in materials, the equipment required, etc?

I'm curious if these rules are floating around somewhere that I've missed, or if anyone has hombrewed a crafting system for MgT2?

Vehicles and gear add-ons would be from the dealer. You can do the same with weapons. OTS pieces that attach to standard receivers, that allow a huge variety of mods and options. That allows Mechanic skill to swap standardized optional parts.

There are professions.

I'd say a gunsmith probably could customize guns, though you probably need mechanic and electronics, as well as a well stocked workshop.

Within the Third Imperium setting as described by T5 and Agent of the Imperium they would use a 3d printer/CNC/CAD CAN combo machine called a maker.
Gun Maker - makes guns
Armour Maker - makes armoured suits etc
Vehicle Maker - makes vehicles
Thing Maker - makes just about anything you want.

Are there rules for crafting/modifying gear outside of the fabrication chambers from the CSC?

In the Core Rulebook under the Mechanics skill it says that "Unlike the narrower and more focused Engineer or Science skills, Mechanic does not allow a Traveller to build new devices or alter existing ones". This gives us an idea of which skills would be used for this purpose, but what about the time it takes, what it costs in materials, the equipment required, etc?

I'm curious if these rules are floating around somewhere that I've missed, or if anyone has hombrewed a crafting system for MgT2?

The 1e CSC suggested a cost for a first prototype of 2d6 times base cost with following items at base cost, but was silent on time increments. And no real discount for doing it yourself versus buying, but the 1e trade table was generous enough that if the GM let your party broker buy you parts out of speculative goods you'd still be okay if you could use the whole lot.

That x2d6 number comes out of an interesting but little used section on custom designing equipment, weapons or vehicles. The idea was you'd start with a base book design, then roll (separately) in each of four categories: cost, bulk, reliability and performance (though performance could rate several or many things, i.e. speed, range, and acceleration might all be checked separately for a vehicle). So your version could be better, worse or both than the standard book item.

Modifiers were +best relevant skill (solves the multi-skill requirement anyway), -1 per additional accessory, -3 per +2 applied elsewhere (so you could target an improvement you were after, likely in performance, but you might pay everywhere else), and there's a chart that gets you positive or negative percentile modifiers of those base numbers.

It might be worth tracking down if that sounds up your alley. Or if not, the very simple approach would be "prototype cost + tools + downtime = first working model."

Or you could go a completely different direction for a tinkerer type. Half base cost in parts, some considerable time requirement, and limit the number of weapons/drones/things they can keep functional at any one time to something like skill rank in Mechanic (or Electronics, or some other skill).

There are professions.

I'd say a gunsmith probably could customize guns, though you probably need mechanic and electronics, as well as a well stocked workshop.

If someone thought to take Profession - Gunsmith I'd certainly give them that skill for any use directly in their lane, even if it could fall under Mechanic or Electronics. Though it wouldn't give them the breadth those latter skills would. I'd even take a custom Science skill if someone thought to ask - bionics or cybernetics would be interesting on a doctor with decent Medic for instance.

The one time gunsmithing came up I went another direction entirely and used lower of Mechanic and Gun Combat - Slug Thrower. That worked for us because it qualified someone in the group without having to add any skills or retcon any skill choices. At the same time I thought laser weapons might be lower of Laser Weapon and Electronics (might by Electronics specialties totaled now in 2e), but we never went there.

Profession allows the coherent practical application of skill(s), for circumstances where skill description don't provide a specific application.

Mechanics doesn;t necessarily make you a dentist.

Ships, vehicles, robots, and guns all have in-depth rules for their creation mechanically, but I don't understand how players would go about creating these things in game. Starships at least mention being built at starports, which makes sense based on their size and complexity, but what about the other customizable gameplay elements?

Your character needs a workshop, parts, and the appropriate Profession skill.
Engineering seems to be focused on shipboard operations. Mechanic seems to be focused on repair of systems, rather than creating devices.
That leaves Professions such as Gunsmithing, Tailoring, or whatever.
I suspect that in the next iteration of Traveller, Profession may yet swallow more of the independent skills such as Electronics, Computers and so on. If you can use the skill to create a device, then Electronics, Sensors, Comms, Demolitions and so on may well end up as parameters of Profession.

Back