Legend Excel Character Sheet

Venruke

Mongoose
Hello all! I'm new to the forums and just picked up Legend the other day. How I spent my New Years? - Making this Excel character sheet. It has not been playtested yet, so I consider it a work-in progress. Any suggestions, comments, or error-finding are welcome...good or bad (I can take it!) :D

http://www.box.com/shared/oyjr4ruhkopdildy8d2z

Thanks!

Venruke said:
Hello all! I'm new to the forums and just picked up Legend the other day. How I spent my New Years? - Making this Excel character sheet. It has not been playtested yet, so I consider it a work-in progress. Any suggestions, comments, or error-finding are welcome...good or bad (I can take it!) :D

Thanks!

Cheers for this - I have downloaded and distributed to the players in my group. Will provide any feedback - may take a while as we have generated PCS for the current game.

Thanks

BB

Hope you enjoy! Please be sure to post any questions, problems, critiques, or ideas. I have been checking this board frequently, so I will try to reply ASAP.

Assume your users are dummies (am I stating the obvious? :twisted: ) and put in checks, such as '=IF (ISBLANK(cell), "", <show data or do the calculations>)' . ISNUMBER(cell) is another useful check. (FYI in case you do not know about these things.)

Of course, none of us here are dummies. :roll:

GamingGlen said:
Assume your users are dummies (am I stating the obvious? :twisted: ) and put in checks, such as '=IF (ISBLANK(cell), "", <show data or do the calculations>)' . ISNUMBER(cell) is another useful check. (FYI in case you do not know about these things.)

Of course, none of us here are dummies. :roll:

Well, I'm not that bright according to my wife...

Hi that sheet looks nice.

Just a few issues I've discovered so far.

Movement is only defined for Humans.

Noble warrior is entered twice

Combat manoeuvres for unarmed should include GRIP and TAKE WEAPON.

:)

Nicely done. I wonder, do you have any intention of having the skills that you automatically get, and don't have to select from, that are associated with your background or profession, be filled in automatically? I would be a horrendous set of nested IF statements, I'm afraid, but it sure would be nice. You know, when you're next on holiday. :)

A new version of the spreadsheet has been uploaded at the same url. 01/06/2012
I added a few things such as a separate equipment area for items not carried by the PC (and therefore not included in ENC.) Also added an area to calculate total current CA's, and Movement Rate on the CharSht-Combat tab.

danskmacabre said:
Movement is only defined for Humans.

Noble warrior is entered twice

Combat manoeuvres for unarmed should include GRIP and TAKE WEAPON.
Thanks for these!

The Legend Core Rulebook is the only book I have, and the only Movement I see in it is for Humans. I would gladly add Races & Movement rates if I had them. (Or am I just missing it somewhere?)

edit...Oh wait...I see that to which you are referring now. I listed "Dwarf", "Elf", and "Halfling" in the drop-down list for Race, but did not include movement rates. Sorry about that...I threw those in for filler for the table, figuring that I would eventually be adding more races to the list. Not sure if the races would end up being the ones I listed, but just wanted placeholders for the data.

Noble Warrior duplication fixed.
Combat manoeuvres Grip & Take weapon added for Unarmed.

jwpacker said:
do you have any intention of having the skills that you automatically get, and don't have to select from, that are associated with your background or profession, be filled in automatically? I would be a horrendous set of nested IF statements, I'm afraid, but it sure would be nice. You know, when you're next on holiday.
I debated doing this before I posted the first version. I agree that this becomes a tedious part of the character creation when you have to do it over and over. This is possible and I don't think it would be a hard as you might think. It might take a little time to setup the data tables, but probably not too bad. The reasons I left this out (at least so far) is 1) I think it allows for easier customization for gaming groups who use their own cultures or professions or who like to tweak which skills get bonuses or don't (especially if they are not well-versed in Excel); and 2) I try to be somewhat careful how much information to include in the spreadsheet. I don't want to include too much information in the spreadsheet and give people a reason to not purchase the books. I might make a second sheet with this once this one gets refined a bit.

GamingGlen said:
Assume your users are dummies (am I stating the obvious? ) and put in checks, such as '=IF (ISBLANK(cell), "", <show data or do the calculations>)' . ISNUMBER(cell) is another useful check. (FYI in case you do not know about these things.)
I did try to do this to some degree. After seeing your post, I went thru and cleaned up places where I saw the ugly #### and N/A and #VALUE type cells that show-up when data are missing. I also added validation to some cells to restrict the input. For example, you can now only enter whole numbers for the characteristics; alpha characters will not be accepted. Please let me know if there are any specific tabs/cells where you see problems or would like parameters set.

Thanks to everybody for their input! Keep 'em coming! :mrgreen:

danskmacabre said:
Great work!

Do you mind if I customize it for the Elric RPG?
Thank you very much. I have no problem with you customizing it to your game. As a matter of fact, customization is the whole idea by the way I designed the sheet. For the most part, you should be able to make changes in the Data tabs to add or delete what you want. I only ask that you be sure to leave the "Legal" tab in place to leave credit for the spreadsheet to me and show ownership of Legend to Mongoose.

PhilHibbs said:
My spreadsheet has all the cultures from the main rulebook and the Gloranthan supplements. If you do decide to implement cultural and profession skills, feel free to plunder the raw data from it.

Google Docs version 2.4
Excel version 2.1
I downloaded the Excel version. That is pretty much the exact layout I need to automate the Cultures and Professions. You have just saved me a lot of typing! Thank you! :D Now I just have to put it all into place...

Venruke said:
I downloaded the Excel version. That is pretty much the exact layout I need to automate the Cultures and Professions. You have just saved me a lot of typing! Thank you! :D Now I just have to put it all into place...
Version 2.1 had some mistakes in the professions so you should use the numbers in the Google Docs sheet.

kurgan84 said:
I'm curious to see how do you handle the multiple choices of the Legend rules. Because my way is very complicated !
The "Player Choice" skills are the ones that throw a monkey wrench into an otherwise simple task. Thought about it quite a bit and decided on the following: I added a couple columns to the Skills Calculation tab and automated all the preset skill bonuses from Cultures and Professions. I then added a column called "Choices". This column is for players to enter the skill bonuses received when they have a choice between skills. I think this should work well; players will still need to lookup what their choices are, but that should be ok.

I uploaded a new version of the character sheet - 2012-01-07:

I'm trying to keep track of changes, but there are a lot of subtle differences with comments and such.

I Included the additional non-Legend cultures I received from PhilHibbs so far. I need to review the sheets provided by kurgan84 to see what I can add from those.

Nice! Thanks for taking my ideas into consideration, and thanks to all that helped with providing data tables that made it possible so quickly!

Venruke said:
I then added a column called "Choices". This column is for players to enter the skill bonuses received when they have a choice between skills. I think this should work well; players will still need to lookup what their choices are, but that should be ok.

I handled this by highlightig the choosable skills in the Cultures and Professions tabs in cyan so you actually customise the column that you have chosen on those tabs. There is a counter at the top of the column, and a calculated sum that shows what the total should be for that culture or profession so you can check whether you have reached the target number of points.

PhilHibbs said:
I handled this by highlightig the choosable skills in the Cultures and Professions tabs in cyan so you actually customise the column that you have chosen on those tabs. There is a counter at the top of the column, and a calculated sum that shows what the total should be for that culture or profession so you can check whether you have reached the target number of points.
I was looking at that on your sheet when I opened it. Very nice way to double-check the points in the column.

The problem I ran into is that I was entering the automatic skill points into a data chart and pulling them back to the Skills Calculation tab. Since every cell in that column is a formula to pull the data for each skill, I couldn't use that column for player choice entry. I didn't really want to add another tab for players to choose skills on, and have that also push to the Skills Calculation tab. I thought that would cause confusion and not work very elegantly on this sheet. While I am pretty sure this method will work well, and at least eliminates all the automatic skills received; it unfortunately does not have a double-check built into it. Players will just have to do it right the first time. :wink:

Back