Latest News on A Call to Arms: Star Fleet

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Production Change of Star Fleet Models
You will be aware that the new range of Star Fleet models has had some problems with both consistent quality and in getting enough models out of the door in order to satisfy the large number of orders we received. For both of these faults, you have our unreserved apologies. Despite our trial runs in resin casting going well last year, we ran into a number of problems when scaling up to wider production runs.

We have therefore made the decision to alter the way we produce these ships. Larger models, such as the C8 and Condor Dreadnoughts, as well as the various bases and stations, will remain in resin. However, all smaller ships will be switched to metal production using systems we know extremely well. In one stroke, this will relieve the pressure on the resin casting team, bring this range up to our usual quality of service, and allow us to produce as many models required to not only service all existing orders, but make a convincing world-wide launch with models people can be confident in.

The process for this change is already well under way, and while production and shipping of the Federation squadron and fleet sets will continue, we are temporarily offlining the other box sets for just a few days.

We expect to be up and running with the metal Romulan squadron set by this time next week, with the Klingon squadron and Romulan fleet set a few days after that. By the end of the week after next, we expect to be in full production of not only the Klingon fleet set but the two Federation sets as well, which will at that time also switch to metal.

To give an example of the change this will have, not only will our casters be working with a material they have been using for the best part of two decades (at least), they will be able to produce (for instance) as many Romulan squadron sets in three days as have been ordered in total since the line was announced. This is obviously much, much faster than our current
methods.

Any remaining mail orders will now be given absolute priority, and we are expecting to be able to make a world-wide launch through distribution channels towards the end of March - we will keep you all updated when firm dates have been set. You will also now find that fleets such as the Gorn and Kziniti will be turned around much quicker. If you have pre-ordered either, you will see them within a month or so of the world launch.

Once again, our deepest apologies for the delays and hiccups, but I believe we have the measure of this now, and Star Fleet goodness will be pouring out of our warehouse starting next week.

Hmm thanks for the update.

Would have much prefered Resin ships - but I would rather have a metal ship than no ship.....

Drat! I was realy into the idea of an all-resin collection. Still, they'l be better than the 2400 series.

Matthew,

There ia a game shop here in St. Louis that would like to get rule sets, but says the disributors are all out of stock. Is there any way they could come straight to Mongoose for rule books.

Bob

Damn that's not good.
That also pushes up the cost of travelling to the tournament, for me, by €30 each way as metal minis can't be in hand luggage.

That may well prevent me going :(

storeylf said:
Bummer. That just killed my interest in the game. Nice game system, shame about the metal minis.

I cannot see why something like this would kill anyone's interest in the game.

Wargaming models, especially high detail ones, have been cast in metal for what...the last 20 or so years?

It's not like this is some horrible blight that damns the game to extinction. :roll:

I can understand preferring resin for weight perposes, but as far as usefullness in gaming, metal rules. It's easy to work with, to clean, and it's not prone to breakage.

My only concern is the pricing. I'm curious if this changes the price point. That is the only real valid point of SERIOUS concern here. If there is no change in the pricing of the models, and they come out faster, this could actually be a really great decision....for both sides....Company AND customer.

I don't suppose there is any chance of looking at an improved basing method to cope with the heavier ships?

Wow! What about replacement ships? i have two replacement ships and a ship-part that are being replaced. I assume these will still be the resin models?

deadshane said:

In isolation, perhaps not. Add this to the delays, the broken timescales and everything else. Not cool. There's been plenty of drama over the last few months, and precious little of it has been about the game table. I need to think about whether this is a game I want to support. Sorry, but there it is. YMMV.

Can I suggest that Mongoose step back from this mess and do not set expectations of delivery and release dates until they have been set in stone? I don't want to hear about what we can expect, when you think thinks will be done. I want to know when product is cast, boxed and ready to ship and not before. I also respectively submit that the quality control needs to be top notch from this point forward.

deadshane said:
storeylf said:
Bummer. That just killed my interest in the game. Nice game system, shame about the metal minis.

Wargaming models, especially high detail ones, have been cast in metal for what...the last 20 or so years?

I've never been into mini wargaming, I'm very much a board gamer. The only mini game I've ever been slightly into was warhammer (fantasy or 40k), and that was plastic (with an occaisonal metal leader). I really just dislike metal minis. I'm probably a minority admitedly.

Damn - was hoping for resin - but..... go with what works

(now looking forward to a Metal Federation Fleet Box and blisters)

Its a shame about the resin (and maybe once the kinks are worked out you will go back) - I must have been quite lucky though.

1) Klingon Sqd Set - No issues on most - minor issues on the C8
2) Federation Sqd Set - Minor issues all fixed with "green stuff"

Just have to get round to painting them....

I'm OK with the switch provided the level of detail remains the same. Ostensibly the switch to resin was to enable greater detail.

Does this mean the near $200 USD I have pending in Fed blisters will come in resin or are they deferred waiting on metal?

If they lose no detail, have bettern CQ and most importantly do not increase in price then I will consider purchasing metal minis. This is very disheartening and disappointing however.

It is going to be a long "wait and see" for me before I open my wallet to further CTA:SF products. I'm rather glad I went and ordered some of those ADB MegaHex counters now (I miss the old B5:ACTA counters mongoose made). However, with all the stuff surrounding the launch my confidence in both companies and this game is very shakey. It seems like the game really could've used a few more months of development before release. A shame. :(

Folks, SVC posted over on ADB's BBS that there is an all-resin option, but you need to email Matthew promptly and let him know that is the preferred option for you.

Jean

Lincolnlog said:
Matthew,

There ia a game shop here in St. Louis that would like to get rule sets, but says the disributors are all out of stock. Is there any way they could come straight to Mongoose for rule books.

Bob

Order it from ADB:
http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=30000&Category_Code=16

...got mine in 2 days (Colorado).

Unfortunate. I do understand the attempt to try to get back on track, but I really am curious as to whether or not the line will go "full resin" after the backlog is dealt with. Particularly, since I ordered through LGS ages and ages ago, I'm wondering what they're going to wind up getting.

If the plan is to eventually go back to resin for everything, then I'm going to have to cancel my order and wait, since I would vastly prefer the resin. If the change to metal is permanent, then I'll bite the bullet and wait a "little" longer and not cancel my preorder through my store.

Back