Language In My Zho Campaign

You're probably not gonna like this, but I did a tour in Central America And Points South during the bad ol' days of Reagan era gunboat diplomacy.
I hope you're safe and content where you are, but the whole idea of moving to LASC sends shivers down my spine. Between the gangs and the basic corruption of every single Latin American government official I've ever encountered, I'd spend half my time in a room with a loaded rifle.
Don't get me wrong here, the campesinos are a great and generous people. Their music and culture is first rate. They have wonderful foods [though I still have a hard time with the smell of stewing bananas]. And it isn't to say that things can't get better for people.
But the shit you learn at 21 years old is hard to shake, and poverty drive even well-meaning people to doing some very nasty things.
Stay safe, and if I were you I'd keep a 'go-bag' handy.
Love it here. Been here for 7 years, everyone is government is corrupt so I get left alone and everything runs more or less smoothly and I stay out of everyone's way. :)

I appreciate your response, MG, and thanks for not taking that the wrong way.
Getting offended is often a choice, and in today's 'hair-triggered' world it's the go-to stance for a lot of people. I'm glad to learn that you're not one of them.
Please stay safe.

Tolkien would have a four on linguistics; probably English, as well.

Finnish, Anglo Saxon, Quendi, and Orcish, who knows?
Yes, but Tolkien would also have a lot of supporting academic skill levels... History 5, Writing 5, Anthropology 3+, etc. etc. etc.
And he'd probably not only be honored on the Emperor's Birthday list, but promoted as well.

IMTU every Imperial and bordering world not actually interdicted has access to microdot sized translator units mass produced on such a vast scale that every official, shopkeeper or street urchin has one...

Seriously at TL10+ they'd cost pennies to make, they weigh a few grams even with packaging and interstellar shipping basically costs a credit a kilogram - everyone your characters will meet will have one.

IMTU every Imperial and bordering world not actually interdicted has access to microdot sized translator units mass produced on such a vast scale that every official, shopkeeper or street urchin has one...

Seriously at TL10+ they'd cost pennies to make, they weigh a few grams even with packaging and interstellar shipping basically costs a credit a kilogram - everyone your characters will meet will have one.
There's a long history of language translation units in Traveller, so your suggestion is a no-brainer.
It's also a reasonable supposition that wafer jack technology could be used for language and cultural information. However, there are dangers in the continuous use of wafers. These are described in 'Agent of the Imperium', but are not limited to degeneration of the cognitive centers of the brain, loss of INT stat, etc. Still, I could see this technology being invaluable for a diplomat with the Aslan for example. Given how each clan has subtle but often important differences in customs, having a 'Syosuis wafer' could be a noted advantage over just an 'Aslan generic wafer'.

Back